MANILA >> Lawyers for victims of human rights violations under Philippine dictator Ferdinand Marcos say more than 7,500 of them will receive compensation starting next week, 25 years after his ouster in a “people power” revolt.
It will be the first financial compensation since they sued in 1986.
American lawyer Robert Swift said Thursday each will get the equivalent of $1,000. The money will come from a $7.5 million settlement involving Marcos’ assets in Texas and Colorado.
Swift says more money may be forthcoming after a Hawaii court’s judgment last month holding in contempt Marcos’ widow Imelda and their son Ferdinand Marcos Jr. and ordering them to pay the victims $353.6 million.