September 30, 2016 | 75° | Check Traffic

Top News

Strikes shut down Egyptian port city for 2nd day

PORT SAID, Egypt (AP) — Hundreds of anti-government protesters have blocked central roads and work was halted for a second day in Egypt’s restive coastal city of Port Said, the site of an unprecedented soccer massacre in 2012.

The protesters are angry over the killing of some 50 people during demonstrations last month against the death sentences for 21 people, mostly fans of the city’s soccer club Al-Masry, for their part in the Feb. 1, 2012, stadium violence that killed 74.

As part of a partial general strike under way in Port Said, local government employees, port customs and small businesses were shut on Monday. The city’s army-guarded university and banks remained open.

Port Said sits on the northern tip of the Suez Canal but the strikes have not disrupted shipping in the international waterway.

No comments
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.