September 25, 2016 | 76° | Check Traffic

Top News

Fire at Foster Village home caused by electrical malfunction

  • Fire heavily damaged a home on Kukila Place in Foster Village this afternon. (Courtesy Francis Luu)

    Fire heavily damaged a home on Kukila Place in Foster Village this afternon. (Courtesy Francis Luu)

A fire that gutted a home in Foster Village Wednesday was caused by an electrical malfunction in a wall outlet in the garage, fire officials said Friday.

The Honolulu Fire Department said its investigators determined the fire at 1231 Kukila St. was accidental. No one was injured, although four people were in the home and able to escape.

The home was engulfed in flames at about 5:32 p.m., and firefighters had the fire under control at 5:55 p.m. It was fully extinguished by 8:03 p.m.

Damage was estimated at $350,000, and an addition $25,000 for two vehicles that were in the garage.

Hawaii News Now – KGMB and KHNL

No comments
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.