Man injured in Waikiki wok fire
May 26, 2017 | 80° | Check Traffic

Top News

Man injured in Waikiki wok fire


Paramedics took a 51-year-old man to the hospital in serious condition from burns he suffered from a flash fire that started in a wok he was using on the balcony of a Waikiki hotel, officials said.

Firefighters were summoned to the Royal Grove Hotel just after 8:30 a.m. on Uluniu Avenue.

The victim apparently had tried to use a propane burner to heat a wok filled with oil that ignited a flash fire, said Fire Capt. Terry Seelig. The fire was contained to the balcony.

No comments
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email