Neighbors help save Salt Lake house from major fire damage
May 28, 2017 | 82° | Check Traffic

Top News

Neighbors help save Salt Lake house from major fire damage


The quick reaction of neighbors to call firefighters helped save a Salt Lake home from major damage on Friday, a Honolulu Fire Department spokesman said.

A toppled pedestal fan started the fire in the living room at 1275 Kukila St.  about 1:40 p.m., said HFD fire inspector David Jenkins. Twenty-two firefighters responded and put out the flames by 2 p.m.

"This fire was ready to go and was already extending through the rest of the house," Jenkins said. "It was a good stop."

The fire caused some smoke damage in the living room. A five-person family lives in the single-story home, but no one was home at the time, Jenkins said.

Damages were estimated at $13,000. No one was hurt.


Correction: The May 9 house fire in Salt Lake happened at a Kukila Street address, not at 1307 Anapa St. as was reported in an earlier version of this report.

No comments
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email