September 27, 2016 | 78° | Check Traffic

Top News

Pit bull hailed as hero for saving deaf boy from fire

  • ASSOCIATED PRESSThis photo provided by the Indianapolis Fire Department shows Ace, a pit bull, resting outside the home of Lindsay and James Bernard of Indianapolis after the home caught fire on Wednesday, July 16, 2014. Firefighters credited the dog with saving the life of the couple's deaf son, Nick Lamb, 13, by licking the boy's face until he woke up. No one else was home at the time. Neither the boy nor the dog was injured.  (AP Photo/Indianapolis Fire Department, Rita Reith)
    ASSOCIATED PRESS
    This photo provided by the Indianapolis Fire Department shows Ace, a pit bull, resting outside the home of Lindsay and James Bernard of Indianapolis after the home caught fire on Wednesday, July 16, 2014. Firefighters credited the dog with saving the life of the couple's deaf son, Nick Lamb, 13, by licking the boy's face until he woke up. No one else was home at the time. Neither the boy nor the dog was injured. (AP Photo/Indianapolis Fire Department, Rita Reith)

INDIANAPOLIS >>  A pit bull named Ace is being hailed as a hero for licking the face of a sleeping, deaf 13-year-old Indianapolis boy to alert him that the house was on fire.

Indianapolis Fire Department Capt. Rita Reith says Nick Lamb was home alone and sleeping without his hearing aids when the fire began Wednesday.

“My dog licked my face and woke me up,” Lamb said. “I was like, ‘Stop it! What? You want to be fed?’ I thought he wanted to be fed or go outside.”

Ace didn’t stop licking Nick until the teen got up, too. That’s when he realized the house was full of smoke.

“I couldn’t hear anything because I had my cochlear implants off. … My dog Ace smelled it,” Lamb said. “I just wanted to get out.”

Without his shoes but with Ace by his side, he covered his nose and mouth with his T-shirt darted out the back door, grabbing one of his implants along the way.

He then called his mother and 911.

Lindsay Bernard, Lamb’s mother, credited Ace with saving her son from injury.

“It’s amazing, because if he wouldn’t have been there, he probably wouldn’t have even woke up,” Bernard said.

Lamb, who was born deaf, told firefighters that this was the first summer he was old enough to stay home alone and that he had returned from summer camp just three days earlier.

Firefighters found the family’s cat, “Pixie,” inside the home. She was taken to a vet for smoke inhalation and was expected to recover.

Damage to the home was estimated at $175,000.

No comments
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.