Trump administration says it will revise travel ban
April 20, 2018 | 78° | Check Traffic

Top News

Trump administration says it will revise travel ban

  • CINDY ELLEN RUSSELL / CRUSSELL@STARADVERTISER.COM

    About 100 people at the Honolulu International Airport held signs to greet travelers and protest President Donald Trump’s executive order to ban immigration from seven predominately Muslim nations. Trump’s administration said in court documents today it does not want a larger appellate panel to review a ruling keeping its travel ban on hold and will instead replace the ban.

ADVERTISING

SAN FRANCISCO >> President Donald Trump’s administration said in court documents today it does not want a larger appellate panel to review a ruling keeping its travel ban on hold and will instead replace the ban.

“In so doing, the president will clear the way for immediately protecting the country rather than pursuing further, potentially time-consuming litigation,” the administration said in the filing.

A three-judge panel of the 9th Circuit last week refused to block a lower-court decision that suspended the ban. The judges rejected the Trump administration’s claim of presidential authority and questioned its motives.

The administration attacked the decision in today’s court filing, saying the three-judge panel misunderstood the scope of the order.

The decision came in a lawsuit brought by the states of Washington and Minnesota, which said the ban unconstitutionally blocked entry on the basis of religion and harmed their residents, universities and sales tax revenue. Eighteen other states, including California and New York, supported the challenge.

The appeals court had asked the Trump administration and Washington and Minnesota to file arguments by today on whether more judges should hear the case.

The three-judge panel said the states had raised “serious” allegations that the ban targets Muslims, and the courts could consider statements Trump has made about shutting down Muslim immigration.

The judges also rejected the federal government’s argument that courts do not have the authority to review the president’s immigration and national security decisions.

They said the Trump administration presented no evidence that any foreigner from the seven countries — Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen — was responsible for a terrorist attack in the U.S.

19 comments

Leave a Reply

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
  • Suggestion to Trump:
    Surround yourself with smart people, listen to them very carefully and completely when they tell you how to implement something, prepare well and do things correctly the first time with the entire country’s concerns in mind.

  • Glad to hear that he plans to reissue the Executive Order clarifying areas the court misinterpreted. Let’s start over, allowing for an order to be immediately implemented to protect our national security.

        • advertiser1> Agree with Sarge22, what is your level of education and understanding. Such arrogance in your post, I can smell the negativism in it. Go figure it out, instead of taking the easy out!!!!!

          Good for you Maile77.

        • See, I’m not the one making the claim. I thought the 9th circuit ruling was pretty clear. So, I guess I’m not smart enough to figure out what was misinterpreted. My guess, is that you can’t tell me either, right?

        • Ad1 and juris> Both of you deserve each other. Now this is nailing two heads with one nail. Ad1 – Go and do your research. Juris – no waste your time, not worth the effort in your case. KABOOM!!!!

    • Nice spin, the proper course of action if he thought the lower court had “misinterpreted” EO would be an appeal. No this is an admission that the EO was faulty and improperly constructed and rather than trying to appeal to the supreme court only to lose, they cut their losses and started over. This is what most people would do, and hopefully they are working with a wider circle or people including the justice and homeland security departments on whatever they are doing.

    • I believe that the Donald will just make America less safe. Just remember 9/11 happened under that republican hero GWBush. Laws driven by imaginary fears just will not work. Deal with the underlying problems such as Israrel vs Palestinians.

  • Just because there were no evidence that any foreigners from the seven countries mentioned was responsible for a terrorist attack in the U.S. does not guarantees it can’t happen! Any precautionary measures taken may help curtail the risk of our country being attacked against those would want to do us harm.