• Monday, October 15, 2018
  • 81°

Live Well

What you need to know if retiring overseas


Retiring outside of the United States can be an exciting way to spend your golden years. Perhaps retirement in Poland or Peru is your dream.

In many cases, it’s possible to receive your Social Security retirement benefits while living abroad. The Social Security website can help you navigate your benefit eligibility while living overseas.

If you’ve worked in both the United States and another country, it may be possible for your credits to combine for a larger benefit. There are 25 countries with such international agreements. To find out if you qualify, visit socialsecurity.gov/international.

To find out whether you can receive benefits in the country where you are retiring, use the Payments Abroad Screening Tool at 808ne.ws/2hKZ2XV.

To report changes to Social Security when living overseas, contact the U.S. embassy, write to Social Security by mail, or call 800-772-1213. For more information, visit socialsecurity.gov/foreign.

Nicole Tiggemann is a spokeswoman for the Social Security Administration.

Comments (0)
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Scroll Up