NEW YORK >> What do a former U.S. president, LeBron James and a guy who really, really likes chicken nuggets have in common? They all made the biggest splash on Twitter this year.
Twitter released its top trending people and topics for 2017 today, ranging from sports to politics to Korean boy bands.
The number one retweeted tweet came from Carter Wilkerson who begged people to retweet him so that he could get a year’s worth of free chicken nuggets from Wendy’s. He fell short of the 18 million bar set by the fast-food chain, but Wendy’s gave Wilkerson the nuggets anyway for the effort.
Coming in second with 1.7 million retweets was President Barack Obama, who took three of the top 10 spots on the list. Cleveland Cavaliers star James landed at the seventh spot, with a tweet that criticized President Donald Trump over his decision to rescind Stephen Curry’s invitation to the White House to celebrate the Golden State Warrior’s NBA championship.
Curry, and others on the team, said that he didn’t want to visit Trump in the White House.
While he did not make the most retweeted list, Trump took the top spot for the most tweeted about elected world leader. He came in number one for top tweeted U.S. elected officials, with Vice President Mike Pence and Speaker of the House Paul Ryan taking second and third, respectively.
TWITTER’S TOP TRENDING PEOPLE AND TOPICS FOR 2017
1. HELP ME PLEASE. A MAN NEEDS HIS NUGGS (Carter Wilkerson)
2. “No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin or his background or his religion…” (Barack Obama)
3. With the current devastation in Houston, we are pledging $0.15 for every RT this gets! Please forward this along to help out those in need! (Penn State IFC)
4. broken. / from the bottom of my heart, i am so so sorry. i don’t have words. (Ariana Grande)
5. Thank you for everything. My last ask is the same as my first. I’m asking you to believe—not in my ability to create change, but in yours. (Barack Obama)
6. (This retweet contained an image of Linkin Park singer Chester Bennington on stage). (Linkin Park)
7. U bum StephenCurry30 already said he ain’t going! So therefore ain’t no invite. Going to White House was a great honor until you showed up! (LeBron James)
8. It’s been the honor of my life to serve you. You made me a better leader and a better man. (Barack Obama)
9. Leo and I are donating 6 lbs of dog food to Houston for every retweet this gets!!!! RT RT RT RT!! (Sam Martin)
10. suicide hotline 1-800-273-8255 / 1 person ends their life every 40 seconds / will u take the time to retweet this & possibly save one of them? (Seth Joseph)