The seventh annual Makahiki Challenge sent runners traipsing through the trails of the Kualoa Ranch on Saturday. The 5K run through mud, over and around obstacles recalled the Makahiki festivals of ancient Hawaii, in which sports and religious events were held to honor the harvest and the gods. Almost 3,000 runners ran the course, enjoying a concert afterwards.
More TGIF Photos
- Hawaii island police confirm 2 car-theft suspects arrested, 1 shot, during manhunt for officer’s killer
- Luke tells HART board to move rail project mauka
- Salmonella outbreak in 26 states, including Hawaii, tied to raw turkey
- Acai bowl business in Waipahu fined $1K for operating without a permit
- Gunshots are fired during pursuit of officer’s suspected killer