YouTube suspends ads on all of Logan Paul’s videos
February 23, 2018 | 83° | Check Traffic

Business Breaking

YouTube suspends ads on all of Logan Paul’s videos

  • ASSOCIATED PRESS

    Logan Paul speaks at the Teen Choice Awards at the Galen Center in Los Angeles in August. YouTube has temporarily suspended all ads from Paul’s channels after what it calls a pattern of behavior unsuitable for advertisers.

ADVERTISING

YouTube temporarily suspended ads on the channels of the controversial internet video celebrity Logan Paul, halting an income stream estimated at millions of dollars and putting a more aggressive content policy into gear.

“After careful consideration, we have decided to temporarily suspend ads on Logan Paul’s YouTube channels,” YouTube said in a statement. “This is not a decision we made lightly, however, we believe he has exhibited a pattern of behavior in his videos that makes his channel not only unsuitable for advertisers, but also potentially damaging to the broader creator community.”

Paul is one of the highest-profile stars YouTube has sanctioned so far. In a blog post this month, YouTube Chief Executive Officer, Susan Wojcicki, said the site is developing policies that would lead to consequences if a creator does something “egregious that causes significant harm to our community as a whole.” Such instances, while rare, can “damage the reputation and revenue” of fellow creators, she said.

Paul’s manager and publicist didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment this morning.

Google, part Alphabet Inc., is making the biggest changes to ad rules on YouTube since the site’s inception in 2005 after a boycott last year by some big brand marketers. The company has to walk a fine line between placating advertisers and supporting creators, who helped make the service so successful and often earn money by being edgy or outrageous.

Paul has more than 16 million subscribers to his YouTube channel, and he was on Google Preferred, which sells premium ads for the most popular videos. However, the company pulled him from the program after he filmed an apparent suicide victim in Japan’s Aokigahara forest.

After the incident, Paul stopped producing his daily video blog for a while, but returned to the platform in January, saying he’d learned from his mistakes. A recent video showed Paul shooting a Taser stun gun at dead rats.

Comments (0)
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.