Medicare covers many medical supplies and services
  • Monday, November 12, 2018
  • 81°

Live Well

Medicare covers many medical supplies and services

ADVERTISING

Dear Savvy Senior: How well does Medicare cover diabetes? I’m 66 and was told by my doctor that I have prediabetes. — Recently Retired

Dear Recently: Medicare actually provides a wide range of coverage to help beneficiaries who have diabetes, as well as those who are at risk of getting it — but they don’t cover everything. Here’s a breakdown of what Medicare covers and some tips that can help you save.

>> Screenings: If you have prediabetes or some other health conditions that put you at risk of getting diabetes — such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol and triglycerides, are overweight, or have a family history of diabetes — Medicare Part B will pay 100 percent of the cost of up to two diabetes screenings every year.

>> Doctor’s services: Medicare will pay 80 percent of the cost of doctor’s visits related to diabetes. You must pay the remaining 20 percent after you’ve met this year’s $183 (for 2018) Part B deductible.

>> Prevention program: Just launched in April, the Medicare Diabetes Prevention Program provides lifestyle change programs offered by health professionals to help you prevent diabetes. This is available for free to all Part B beneficiaries who have prediabetes.

>> Self-management: If you have diabetes, Medicare covers 80 percent of the cost to teach you to successfully manage diabetes.

>> Supplies and medications: Medicare Part B covers 80 percent of the cost of glucose monitors, test strips (100 per month if you use insulin, or 33 per month if you don’t), lancets, external insulin pumps and insulin (if you use a pump), after your deductible.

If you inject insulin with a syringe, Medicare’s Part D prescription drug benefit will help pay your insulin costs and the supplies needed to inject it — if you have a plan. Part D plans cover most diabetic medications too. Check your plan for coverage details.

>> Nutrition therapy: Medicare will pick up the entire tab for medical nutrition therapy, which teaches you to adjust your diet to better manage your condition. You’ll need a doctor’s referral.

>> Foot care: Foot problems are common among diabetics. Medicare covers 80 percent of foot exams every six months for diabetics with diabetes-related nerve damage. They will also help pay for therapeutic shoes or inserts if your podiatrist prescribes them.

>> Eye exams: Because diabetes increases the risks of getting glaucoma and diabetic retinopathy, 80 percent of dilated medical eye exams are covered each year, but eye refractions for glasses are not.

For more information, see “Medicare’s Coverage of Diabetes Supplies & Services” online booklet at 808ne.ws/2OIVGUj.

Other insurance

If you have a Medicare supplemental (Medigap) policy, it may pay some of the costs that Medicare doesn’t cover. Call your plan’s benefits administrator for more information.

Or, if you’re in a Medicare Advantage plan (like an HMO or PPO), your plan must give you at least the same diabetes coverage as original Medicare does, but it may have different rules. You’ll need to check your policy.

Financial assistance

If you’re income is low, and you can’t afford your Medicare out-of-pocket costs, you may be able to get help through Medicare Savings Programs. To find out if you qualify or to apply, contact your state Medicaid program.

Also, find out if you are eligible for “Extra Help” which helps Medicare Part D beneficiaries with their medication expenses. Visit SSA.gov/prescriptionhelp or call Social Security (800-772-1213) to learn more.


Jim Miller is a contributor to NBC-TV’s “Today” program and author of “The Savvy Senior.” Send your questions to Savvy Senior, P.O. Box 5443, Norman, OK 73070; or visit savvysenior.org.


Comments (0)
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Scroll Up