February 9, 2016 | 76° | Check Traffic

Top News

Damages estimated at $10,000 for Papaaloa house fire

Hawaii Island firefighters said a homeowner’s son saved a home from fire Saturday morning in Papaaloa.

The son awoke to crackling noises about 5 a.m. and found the laundry sink engulfed in flames, firefighters said. He used a garden hose to extinguish the fire before firefighters arrived.

A fire investigator determined a short in a light switch started the fire in the laundry area outside the home at 35-2040 Nanu Street. The flames caused about $10,000 in damage.

Firefighters said the son saved about $200,000 in property.

No comments
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.