May 29, 2016 | 74° | Check Traffic

Top News

Electrical malfunction of dryer may have caused Hilo house fire

  • generic_Hawaii-fire-logo_2.jpg

An occupant Friday morning escaped a fire that heavily damaged a Hilo house that may have started in a dryer.

Hawaii Fire Department officials said fire units responded to a structure fire at 475 W. Kawailani St. at 6:12 a.m. and found the house one-third involved in fire. The fire was reported under control at 6:30 a.m.

The fire started in the garage and extended to the living area above the garage and into the main living area.  

Property loss is estimated at $80,000, but two vehicles were also damaged, adding $20,000 in damages, fire officials said.

Investigators are concentrating on an electrical malfunction in a dryer.

No injuries were reported, and the American Red Cross was assisting the occupant.

No comments
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.