August 29, 2016 | 80° | Check Traffic

Top News

Gambler sues, says he lost $500,000 playing drunk

  • APLas Vegas Mayor Carolyn Goodman addresses audience members during the ribbon-cutting ceremony of the Downtown Grand Las Vegas
    AP
    Las Vegas Mayor Carolyn Goodman addresses audience members during the ribbon-cutting ceremony of the Downtown Grand Las Vegas

LAS VEGAS >> Nevada gamblers lost nearly $20 million on Super Bowl bets last month. But one man, who was playing table games while others were focused on the football championship, is trying to get back $500,000 he lost at a Las Vegas casino that weekend.

Southern California retiree Mark Johnston is suing the Downtown Grand for loaning him money and allowing him to play while he was blackout drunk.

Nevada law bars casinos from allowing visibly drunk patrons to gamble and from serving them comped drinks.

Johnston’s attorney Sean Lyttle says the Grand, which opened late last year, is countersuing Johnston for trying to shirk his gambling debts. The Grand did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The state Gaming Control Board is investigating.

No comments
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.