A smoke detector and responsible neighbors helped a 56-year-old man survive a potentially life-threatening situation in Ewa Beach tonight.
Firefighters were called to a Puaniu Street address around 9 p.m. after neighbors heard the man’s smoke detector beeping and saw smoke escaping through a window in the unit. The firefighters forced open the man’s front door and found him passed out in the bathroom while food was burning on his stove, according to Honolulu Fire Department spokesperson Capt. Carlton Yamada.
The man was transported by Emergency Medical Services to an area hospital in serious condition with complications from apparent intoxication and smoke inhalation.