August 29, 2016 | 77° | Check Traffic

Top News

New Hampshire man held on $1M in teen’s kidnapping

  • ASSOCIATED PRESSThis booking photo released by the New Hampshire Attorney General's Office shows Nathaniel E. Kibby, 34, of Gorham, N.H., arrested Monday, July 28, 2014 and charged with one count of felony kidnapping of Abigail Hernandez, who went missing in Conway, N.H., in October 2013, and returned home last week. Kibby will be arraigned Tuesday in district court in Conway, N.H.  (AP Photo/New Hampshire Attorney General's Office)
    ASSOCIATED PRESS
    This booking photo released by the New Hampshire Attorney General's Office shows Nathaniel E. Kibby, 34, of Gorham, N.H., arrested Monday, July 28, 2014 and charged with one count of felony kidnapping of Abigail Hernandez, who went missing in Conway, N.H., in October 2013, and returned home last week. Kibby will be arraigned Tuesday in district court in Conway, N.H. (AP Photo/New Hampshire Attorney General's Office)

CONWAY, N.H. >> A New Hampshire man charged with kidnapping a teenage girl nine months ago was ordered held on $1 million bail after a brief court appearance Tuesday.

Abigail Hernandez disappeared after leaving her high school in October and returned home last week.

Nathaniel Kibby was arrested Monday without incident at his Gorham home, about 30 miles north of where Hernandez lives. He’s charged with felony kidnapping, a charge that carries up to seven years in jail if convicted.

He was arraigned Tuesday and ordered held on $1 million cash bail. The only time he spoke was to answer, “Yes I am, your honor” when the judge asked if he would seek a public defender.

The judge denied public defender Jesse Friedman’s request to unseal affidavits, search warrants and other investigative material before the hearing. Friedman argued it was impossible for him to begin to defend Kibby without knowing the facts that led to his arrest.

Police said Kibby, 34, confined Abigail, then 14, on Oct. 9, sometime after she left Kennett High School to walk to her North Conway home. Abigail, who turned 15 a week after she disappeared, returned home the night of July 20, but authorities have not explained the circumstances of her disappearance or return.

Attorney General Joseph Foster said Monday that Abigail provided the police with details of her kidnapping that led to Kibby’s arrest.

Senior Assistant Attorney General Jane Young, who heads the criminal bureau, would not comment on what Kibby does for a living or supply other details about his background.

Abigail earlier issued a statement, which was posted on Facebook, thanking people who searched for her and saying she believes their hopes and prayers “played a major role in my release.”

Young said that when the girl disappeared, she apparently had no way to get about or secure food, shelter or other necessities on her own. She said that the teen “went dark” and could not be traced through social media for the duration of her absence.

However, police revealed several months ago that the girl had written to her mother. When the letter surfaced, FBI agent Kieran Ramsey said it was possible the girl had run away but that someone could be coercing her into staying away. Police have not revealed the contents of the letter.

No comments
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.