Damage from a fire that destroyed an 800-square-foot Quonset hut in Haiku Monday is estimated at $100,000.
The hut, located at 250 N. Honokala Road, and its contents, along with two vehicles parked next to the structure, were destroyed.
The building contained farming and shop equipment, Maui Fire Deparment spokesman Lee Mainaga said. The fire caused an estimated $85,000 damage to the contents, while the value of the building is estimated at $15,000.
The fire started while some welding was taking place, creating sparks that ignited nearby cardboard boxes at about 11:30 a.m., Mainaga said.
The fire also sparked a brush fire that burned about two acres between Waipio and Honokala roads.
No injuries were reported.