LAS VEGAS >> A man accused of firing a gun as he tried to make off with costumes and props used by “Thunder From Down Under” male performers in Las Vegas denies the allegations against him.
In jailhouse interviews Friday with KLAS-TV and the Las Vegas Sun, Joey Kadmiri said he suffers from mental-health and drug problems and needs outpatient therapy.
“I hope that I can get past this and get the proper mental help on the outside, outpatient, and be a good person again with my family and have everything being back to being normal. That is all I want in my life,” he said.
Kadmiri, 24, said he’s convinced all police are out to get him and he believes everyone is an officer when his hallucinations intensify. That’s why he refused to go to court Friday for his arraignment on felony attempted murder, armed robbery, burglary and weapon charges, he said.
“I have these hallucinations that I’m running away from somebody, and I ended up backstage somehow,” he said, adding he was on methamphetamines that night.
Terrified that someone wanted him dead, Kadmiri decided to use the show’s costumes as a disguise, he said.
“I didn’t try to hurt anyone. I know myself,” Kadmiri said. “I was just trying to protect myself and be safe.”
The judge reset his hearing for Monday.
No one was seriously wounded in the incident Tuesday at the Excalibur Hotel and Casino on the Las Vegas Strip.
A member of the Australia-themed men’s dance revue was treated at the scene for minor facial injuries, and Kadmiri was hospitalized overnight with a black eye and other minor injuries after being subdued by several heavily muscled male dancers.
Witnesses told police that Kadmiri pointed a gun at one show member’s head before another cast member jostled the suspect’s hand and the shot hit a wall.
Kadmiri had been confronted by the show director and others as he tried to take a suitcase with show props and clothes, police said.
He remained Saturday at the Clark County jail, where he was being held without bail.