Quantcast

Tuesday, July 29, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 59 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Letters to the Editor

For Saturday, November 3, 2012


POSTED:



Show respect for wishes of dying

Columnist George Will has said that the judiciary is "dangerous to liberty when it is unreasonably restrained."

Hawaii Circuit Judge Patrick Border appears to be unable, or unwilling, to judge in the sad case of Karen Okada. He is shirking his responsibility. From what I understand, Okada's written Advanced Health Care Directive is quite clear in that she did not want extreme measures taken in life support.

Okada's situation came to public attention on Sept. 7, as Queen's Hospital attempted to comply with Okada's health care directive by removing her from life support. The case should have been decided immediately in favor of her written instructions.

Yet the case was continued and to be heard and decided, over a month later, by Border, on Oct. 11. He has now decided that a "continuance" is in order, for yet another month, at least. Okada's written wishes are being ignored. Shame on Border for shirking his judicial responsibility. Shame on her brother for not honoring his sister's wishes.

Carol Dickson
Honolulu

Rail will cost far too much

A vote for Kirk Caldwell is a vote for the machine represented by Pacific Resource Partnership. If you buy their bill of goods on how great rail is, what's next? The estimated transportation budget with rail will take 19 percent of the City and County budget? How on Earth are we going to address the billions (including the Environmental Protection Agency mandate on sewer repairs) needed to repair old and failing sewer, water and road systems, let alone police, fire and other necessities?

It's not only people on fixed incomes that will suffer. We already pay one of the highest housing costs in the country — rail costs and rising infrastructure costs will increase that housing cost exorbitantly. Do you really want Caldwell, the machine puppet, or former Gov. Ben Cayetano, who has a proven track record of management? The PRP smear campaign is lies by the frantic machine pushing for its very bad, very expensive traffic solution.

Heather Huel
Kailua

Choose Cayetano over rail project

I'm a former rail supporter who has changed her stripes in the last six months. As I've learned that the rail system we are paying for is not the system we voted for (it will not go to the University of Hawaii or Waikiki and it will cost much more than expected), I am convinced that former Gov. Ben Cayetano's flexible, less expensive bus rapid transit system suits Honolulu better. Additionally, I heard Cayetano patiently, frankly and knowledgeably answer questions for two hours on a whole range of city issues at a presentation in Aiea last week. For my money — literally — he's the man for the job.

Jan Pappas
Aiea

Rail system will work on Oahu

Rail systems today are not noisy. Check out Hong Kong, Singapore, Naha, Okinawa or Dubai.

Rail opponents Cliff Slater, Randall Roth and Walter Heen only know highways and roads to move people — 1970s technology. Worldwide, cities use rail because it works, is clean, functions efficiently and is complemented with a bus system. And why the "me, me, me" attitude of rail opponents? Rail is good for the community, the city and the aina in the long run. Why so selfish?

Finally, Hawaii's tax base is not 1 million people; as many as 7 million visitors annually pay the general exise tax and will use the rail.

Vote no on Ben Cayetano.

Berni Chu
Hawaii Kai

Vote against the Jones Act

Why isn't the big issue in these elections the Jones Act, which protects the American maritime fleet from foreign competition? This act is a detriment to the people in Hawaii. Sens. John McCain and James Risch introduced a bill to repeal this act, which restricts shipping and raises costs to consumers in Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico and Guam. The bill failed.

This should be a big issue to the people here who work so hard and pay so much for food because of this act.

The people of Hawaii deserve better. Let's elect representatives to Congress who will protect the interests of the people of Hawaii.

Roland Ho
Waipahu

How to write us

The Star-Advertiser welcomes letters that are crisp and to the point (~150 words). The Star-Advertiser reserves the right to edit letters for clarity and length. Please direct comments to the issues; personal attacks will not be published. Letters must be signed and include a daytime telephone number.

 

Letter form: Online form, click here
E-mail: letters@staradvertiser.com
Fax: (808) 529-4750
Mail: Letters to the Editor, Honolulu Star-Advertiser, 7 Waterfront Plaza, 500 Ala Moana, Suite 210, Honolulu, HI 96813






 Print   Email   Comment | View 59 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(59)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
rsgea wrote:
Right on, Jan Papas!

IN BEN WE TRUST

ELECT HIM MAYOR WE MUST
on November 3,2012 | 01:43AM
rsgea wrote:
And Berni Chu, not only is Rail loud at 75 decibels (i.e. equivalent to a vacuum cleaner 15-feet away), but it will go by homes, offices, stores, etc along the route 428 times a day, from before dawn to midnight.

Can you imagine someone with a vacuum cleaner 15-feet away from you turning it on-and-off 428 times a day every day??


on November 3,2012 | 01:51AM
rsgea wrote:
And Berni Chu, I had to laugh when you criticize Rail opponents for "using 1970 technology" when Rail is 18th Century technology!

Advocating for Rail is like trying to sell solid gold typewriters to a modern word-processing department.... IT COSTS TOO MUCH, DOES TOO LITTLE, AND IT JUST DOESN'T DO THE JOB RIGHT


on November 3,2012 | 02:01AM
ukuleleblue wrote:
Rail has been thought out over four decades. We now have a viable configuration that the public voted for, the City Council approved and the Federal Transit Administration concurred with. We cannot let the project fail on technicalities. We have to look at the big picture that rail transit is beneficial for our community in providing a better transportation alternative to being stuck in congested traffic and providing a boost to our economy with more development and jobs. Mr. Grabauskas is being very transparent in telling us what rail construction activities are being done. He was brought is to give us expertise so we can build the best world class rail system that we can get and accomplish it efficiently and cost-effectively. We are only hindering his progress with all these delays. We cannot let a strong vocal opposition minority keep bringing up new issues to detract from the rail project. If we stop rail now and accept the status quo, we are not losing only the cost of the several rail columns built. We are wasting all the time and efforts of many people over four decades and we are jeopardizing the future of our children and grandchildren. We need to build the rail system as we have come this far. Instead of opposition, let us all unite and get rail built “the right way” if people think this is not the case. Rail will get built because the majority still wants it. We can do it the right way if everybody is positive.
on November 3,2012 | 04:33AM
ukuleleblue wrote:
It is not fair for people who are not directly served by the rail route to deprive the people who have to live far in affordable Kapolei, Waipahu and other west side communities. The rail helps average locals. Average people will ride the rail and will get jobs from the rail construction. Average locals will benefit the most from an improved economy. On the other hand, many people who think they are rich just because they live in the best areas do not like to pay extra taxes for government services they do not need and will not use such as rail. They have theirs and don’t care about others who are struggling to make it in our high cost of living state. Retirement advisors generally consider a net worth of $2 million excluding principal residence as being reasonably set financially. Lower and middle income average local people and most retired people are not in the same boat and should not fall for the “taxes are bad” argument. Taxes provide government services that average people need. The purpose of the general excise tax Is to fairly spread cost of public services over the entire population so that everyone pays their fair share according to their financial capability. The half percent general excise tax is paying our share of the rail. Even tourists are helping to pay GE tax. The federal government is subsidizing $1.55 billion of the cost. Therefore the cost to provide this needed transportation infrastructure is covered. Rail is a government provided service for the overall benefit of the greater Honolulu area. We regular locals should see that we are the ones who will need the rail for the benefit of our children and grandchildren. The time to build the rail is now and everyone should be supporting it.
on November 3,2012 | 04:38AM
false wrote:
Wake up ukuleleblue! That "parking lot" every morning and evening from the West side is filled win ONE driver cars. Do you really think "One driver" personalities are going to give up their freedom and mobility to ride a 20 mile choo choo. The bus ridership at this time is the only population likely to ride the RAIL. So if bus is working for them then let's do more buses. Car people are always going to be car people. What do you guys not get?
on November 3,2012 | 05:33AM
OldDiver wrote:
Because Ben Cayetano's phony FAST project is slow it does not qualify for federal funding. Our property taxes will have to pick up the projected $3 to $4 billion price tag. The Cayetano has been very deceptive concerning the funding of his phony proposal.
on November 3,2012 | 07:28AM
OldDiver wrote:
Jan Papas is a Ben Cayetano supporter recruited to sent in a pre-written letter. This explains the misleading point Jan is trying to make.
on November 3,2012 | 07:32AM
OldDiver wrote:
Poor Heather has been fooled by the misleading Cayetano ads that rail will cost us more than his phony FAST plan. Because Ben's plan does not qualify for federal funding Ben will have to raise the majority of the $3 to $4 billion projected cost by increasing property taxes. Send Ben and his phony plan into retirement.
on November 3,2012 | 07:37AM
hybrid1 wrote:
Ben's has shown details on his transit - FAST at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T-8GKBiWQs ................... Much of his FAST can be implemented inside of one month and on a trial basis for 6 months. Much of the routes are existing or can be modified for FAST implementation. No contractor can make much money here as there are no significant construction to be done......................: FAST QUALIFIES FOR GENERAL EXCISE TAX FUNDING because, per Congressional Act MAP-21, the BRT is a fixed guideway and qualifies for both GET and federal funds..............: NO LANES WILL BE TAKEN BY FAST. Along congested.streets, FAST has smart ways to add lanes to relieve at least 30% of existing congestion............. Lane taking is not part of FAST but adding lanes is. It adds 50% to 60% capacity during commute times including contraflow lanes on Dillingham Blvd. and on King St. between Middle St. and Liliha St..................... The Aloha Stadium BRT is developed to facilitate easy commutes for Pearl City, Aiea, Salt Lake and Halawa residents with Express 12 to 16 minute commutes to Kalihi and downtown.
on November 3,2012 | 09:18AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
OldDiver wrote: "Jan Papas is a Ben Cayetano supporter recruited to sent in a pre-written letter."

Please don't simply make things up and post them as fact. Whether it's an outright lie or fantasy, it adds nothing to the discussion and serves only to lower your credibility.
on November 3,2012 | 09:22AM
OldDiver wrote:
hybrid1, Ben's plan does not qualify for federal funding period. Stop the fantasy already.
on November 3,2012 | 10:43AM
Kuniarr wrote:
OldDiver, what F.A.S.T. is bringing to Honolulu is a system adopted from many State DOTS of the US that prevents from happening the nightmare of Stop-and-Go Traffic congestion on the H1.

F.A.S.T. actually makes Rail obsolete.
on November 3,2012 | 12:46PM
Kuniarr wrote:
It is not fair to all of us taxpayers for the city to shove down our throats this ultra-expensive mode of avoiding traffic congestion called RAIL.

For the nightmare of Stop-and-Go traffic congestion which Rail can not prevent is easily prevented today, in the 21at Century.


Not Rail. Ever.
on November 3,2012 | 12:42PM
cajaybird wrote:
Who writes this for you? It reads like a communist manifesto. You must have one hell of a vested interest in rail.
on November 3,2012 | 02:56PM
Kuniarr wrote:
Rail may have been thought out over four decades ago.

But in this, the 21st Century, Rail as just an alternative to Stop-And-Go nightmare of a congestion is not needed because State DOTs of the US have discovered a way to prevent Stop-and-Go traffic congestion from ever happening.
on November 3,2012 | 12:37PM
MightyMakiki wrote:
Leave Berni Chu alone. She knows what's up. It is 21st Century multi model mass transportation. It just takes getting used to it. You wait....
on November 3,2012 | 08:26PM
FrankGenadio wrote:
An urban maglev, without the noise mitigation measures needed for steel wheels on steel rails, would still be twice as quiet. It also would be smoother, safer, and more reliable, and its operations and maintenance costs would be 25-30 percent less per year.
on November 3,2012 | 03:06AM
ukuleleblue wrote:
After exhaustive discussions it was determined by the experts that an elevated rail is the best configuration for Honolulu. Other rails such as super high speed mag-lev are not practical for routes with many stops. Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) is not a reasonable alternative because it steals lanes and makes traffic worse for other vehicles. The elevated rail has its own grade-separated right-of-way and can operate at much higher speeds than express buses without being impeded from other vehicles and other hazards at ground level. The high platform trains have many doors that do not require steps and can load and unload faster. Elevated rail is obviously better for speed and safety. A bonus is that the riders would be provided with a nice ocean or mountain view from up high. Unfortunately we do not have extra land to dedicate rights of way for a light rail lines such as in Boston, San Francisco or San Jose where light rail operates on a reservation in the middle of wide streets or in abandoned railroad lines. A light-rail (streetcar) system is an at-grade rail which would operate at slower speeds since it would encounter cross traffic at intersections. The rail alignment would also have to be fenced in for safety from people trying to cross the tracks between stops. Limited access to cross the light rail route would cause inconvenience to pedestrians and surface vehicles. At grade construction also requires more surface digging than elevated structures and can encounter more possible burial sites. At this point to continue the discussion on the type of rail only serves to delay and possibly kill the project. We need the rail and should keep building the Kapolei to Ala Moana route as planned without further delays which only add to the cost. An at grade rail extension on Kalanianaole Highway down the middle to Hawaii Kai might be nice for the future however.
on November 3,2012 | 04:35AM
OldDiver wrote:
Enough with the mag-lev baloney. Mag-lev does not meet U.S. safety standards which is one of the reasons you don't see it here or on the mainland.
on November 3,2012 | 07:24AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
OldDiver wrote: "Mag-lev does not meet U.S. safety standards which is one of the reasons you don't see it here or on the mainland."

What on earth are you talking about now? What makes you say that mag-lev trains don't meet U.S. safety standards? Citation please.
on November 3,2012 | 09:24AM
OldDiver wrote:
Mag-lev trains are very heavy and must be lifted off it's tracks. This requires a shell which does not meet U.S. safety standards.
on November 3,2012 | 10:44AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
OldDiver wrote: "Mag-lev trains are very heavy and must be lifted off it's tracks. This requires a shell which does not meet U.S. safety standards."

You are just making stuff up again. Do you even know you're doing it? Do you think anyone finds your lies convincing?

Please tell us all more about these very heavy trains and their "shells." A source would be nice.
on November 3,2012 | 01:10PM
FrankGenadio wrote:
"ukuleleblue" and "OldDiver" are indeed making things up and do not even make sense. First of all, the maglev is not an at-grade system and runs on an elevated guideway, and is, by FTA standards, a form of rail technology. Secondly, a very thorough study done by the Colorado Department of Transportation found the Japanese urban maglev (the HSST, also known as the Linimo) to be a mature technology that met all the necessary standards required for implementation, safety or otherwise. The maglev rail car is not heavy; it is made of aluminum alloy and is easily levitated. Levitation not only makes for smoother and quieter running but also enables the much lower O&M costs because of little deterioration of the guideway. These two individuals, for me, have lost all credibility. They may fear a delay but if that results in implementation of a more effective system that also brings great savings in both guideway construction and O&M, this city's taxpayers and commuters will be the winners.
on November 3,2012 | 02:48PM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
Nobody uses elevated heavy rail.
on November 3,2012 | 08:54AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
ukuleleblue wrote: "After exhaustive discussions it was determined by the experts that an elevated rail is the best configuration for Honolulu."

I think you meant to write, "After many backroom discussions it was determined by Mufi Hannemann, his developer friends and big construction interests that an elevated rail is the best configuration to pour money into their pockets."
on November 3,2012 | 09:02AM
Kuniarr wrote:
Rail in Honolulu is obsolete in the 21st Century just for avoiding Stop-and-Go Traffic Congestion on the H1.

For Stop-and-Go traffic congestion itself can today, in the 21st century, prevented from ever happening on the H1. And that is the very reason that Rail is obsolete just for avoiding the nightmare of Stop-And-Go Traffic Congestion.
on November 3,2012 | 12:51PM
peanutgallery wrote:
Obama left our guys out to hang in Benghazi, and then lied about it. We have the highest unemployment and national debt imaginable. Time to send Obama back to Detroit where he belongs.
on November 3,2012 | 02:41PM
cajaybird wrote:
Why isn't this being reported in Hawaii. The SA thinks it's a coordinated conspiracy when anyone asks why they are not asking any questions or are reporting anything other than the party line. Can you imagine if MSNBC controlled all cable; that would be by definition a true comminust state controlled press. Unfortunately, it's true, and not a joke.
on November 3,2012 | 02:59PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
The early morning paid bloggers. 0143 am? Talk about manic.
on November 3,2012 | 06:55PM
Laiemaloo wrote:
Re Voting Against the Jones Act. Do you know why it would be slightly cheaper for the people of Hawaii if the Jones Act were repealed? I'll tell you. Foreign shipping companies don't have to: pay US taxes; don't have to comply with US labor laws; don't have to comply with the EPA; etc.. I'm not sure if you know it, but airlines, railroads, and trucking companies have the same protections (you can't take Air France from LA to NY).
on November 3,2012 | 04:11AM
peanutgallery wrote:
Of course you know that most ships, under US flag, are manned by guys who barely speak english, right?
on November 3,2012 | 04:23AM
false wrote:
People like Romney won't allow the Jones Act benefits for us because they make too much investment return on the their millions overseas. Now that's a reason to get out and vote.
on November 3,2012 | 05:35AM
Lightfoot9 wrote:
Roland Ho is right to say that the Jones Act should have been a much larger issue in the election campaigns this year, as it has a great economic impact on Hawaii and the other noncontiguous jurisdictions of Alaska, Guam and Puerto Rico. Laiemaloo is wrong to say that there would only be a slight savings if the Jones Act were repealed in its entirety, frieght rates would be substantially lower and many more ships would be available. However, there is little likelihood that the Jones Act would be completely repealed on a nation wide basis. Alternatively there have been proposals to exempt one or all of the noncontiguous trades from the Jones Act -- which are still unlikely to pass. Another possible reform would be to exempt the nonconriguous trades from the U.S. build requirement of the Jones Act but leave the other Jones Act requirements -- U.S.-owned, U.S.-Flag & U.S.-crewed in place. This would make the maritime cabotage provisions of the Jones Act more similar to U.S. aviation cabotage which allows foreign manufactured aircraft to be operated on domestic routes within the U.S. So like Hawaiian Airlines operates Airbuses built in France, Matson for example could use containerships built in S. Korea. Because the Jones Act U.S. build requirement forces U.S. shipowners to build their ships in the U.S. where ship construction costs are three times what they are in Japan and S. Korea this puts an enorous burden on the noncontiguous jurisdictions that rely on shipping for their interstate surface transportation. The U.S. build requirement also creates an artificial scarcity of ships and a barrier to entry for competition in the noncontiguous trades all which leads to higher costs. And for False, your Romney comment is completely off the wall.
on November 3,2012 | 08:16AM
false wrote:
Really? Die you read the article on today's SA editorial page? You have so much more to learn about the Mad Hatter Romney. His shell games are beyond Alice's Wonderland. Romney Wonderland has way more relevance to our undoing if he is elected.
on November 3,2012 | 05:11PM
Bdpapa wrote:
There should be an adjustment made to the Jones Act to cover some of the issues you presented. In general, the Jones Act hurts Hawaii big time.
on November 3,2012 | 11:07AM
ukuleleblue wrote:
Rail support is being hurt by a lot of the general public being uninformed and being swayed by the simplistic “we cannot afford the taxes to pay for rail” argument that is easy for opposers to claim. If one adds up all of the constituents that should be in favor of rail, the support for rail should easily be in the majority as when it was voted on by the public earlier. People in the business community want rail because they will benefit from the economic stimulus from the rail project. The unions want the rail because it will provide jobs for its members. The whole leeward side should want rail because it will help their commute and the development will improve their property values. The city council wants rail. Our Congress legislators want the rail system because they know it will help our state. Our Democratic delegation all support rail. Government workers want rail because they want more job opportunities. Land developers want rail so they can do development near stations. If you have any kind of relations: family, friends, or business with these supporters, you should also support rail for the overall benefit of our state. Don’t be afraid of taxes because it spreads the cost of government fairly over the entire population. Everybody hates taxes but wouldn’t you rather have something positive such as a new world class rail line to show for it instead of just a new sewer line? Rail is good for everybody. Don’t believe the naysayers.
on November 3,2012 | 04:42AM
false wrote:
Let's see, is it worth all of us paying 100% increase on property taxes for a 20 mile train on the West end? NO, NO, NO. Wake up already. Rail should have died along time ago before we wasted all this money and legal costs. So glad when it finally rolls over and breathes your last track.
on November 3,2012 | 05:38AM
BluesBreaker wrote:
There are absolutely no property taxes used to pay for the construction of the rail project. None. The operations and maintenance cost of the public transit system will be far less with rail than with an all-bus system, so if you're worried about property tax increases, you should be voting for pro-rail candidates.

Unlike the false information campaign being spread by opponents, rail will use only 3.5 percent of the city's revenues. The entire public transit system will use 17.5 percent of city general funds and highway funds between 2021 and 2030. Most of that (67%) will go toward operating the bus.


on November 3,2012 | 08:42AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
BluesBreaker wrote: "There are absolutely no property taxes used to pay for the construction of the rail project. None. The operations and maintenance cost of the public transit system will be far less with rail than with an all-bus system, so if you're worried about property tax increases, you should be voting for pro-rail candidates."

Oh dear, has no one told you that our City has offered up the $450,000,000.00 line of credit that was supposed to be reserved for much needed sewer repairs for rail construction over-runs? Do you know that with only ~13 posts in the ground, HART has already committed most of the "worst case scenario, we'll never, ever need to use it and probably just have a big pile of money left over at the end that we'll either give back or use to fund operations" contingency fund? Yep the change orders have been coming in fast and furious.

So, what happens after the rail project raids the $450,000,000.00 line of credit that was supposed to be used for sewer repair? How does that get paid back if not through property tax? AND how do we afford to repair our sewers if you clowns have committed the line of credit to your developer and construction friends?
on November 3,2012 | 09:16AM
Kuniarr wrote:
Propaganda attempts to make Garbage smell like roses. And BluesBreaker is merely mouthing the propaganda coming from HART

It is the height of absurdity to even think that (1) the O&M of our transit system would be less with rail and (2) Property taxes won't be used to pay for rail construction.

(1) It is quite obvious that adding the millions for Rail O&M to the current O&M of TheBus and The Handi-van leads to a large increase in the the Transit O&M. And consequently an increase in our property taxes

What BluesBreaker and Rail Propaganda is hiding is the extremely high cost of Rail Asset Replacement as divulged by Peter M. Rogoff , FTA administrator. (SOURCE: http://www.fta.dot.gov/newsroom/ sitemap_11682.html

(2) The 1/2 percent GET rail surcharge collection is not progressing the way H.A.R.T projected resulting in collections turning not enough to cover the cost of rail (less 5307 and 5309 FTA funding). In the last five quarters before that of July-September, GET collection trend was negative contrary to the expectation of a 5.04% growth.

Moreover, the 12-month delay will lead to a tremendous increase in cost that would consume the entire contingency fund. Then there are the anticipated cost over runs for which a contingency fund was created. But the contingency fund would have been depleted by the 12-month delay.
on November 3,2012 | 11:14PM
Imagen wrote:
"Absolutely no property taxes used to pay for the construction of the rail project". @Bluesbreaker: just what do you think HART and the rest of the flock are getting paid with? Monopoly money? Until all federal funding IS received; until the GET funds get reconciled; until we finally get what is SUPPOSED to be and PROMISED to be IS received, it IS our property taxes and increased fees that are paying for your trolley cars. Get a life and for once be real. If you pro railers were honest, up front and TRANSPARENT as you said you were going to be, then maybe, just maybe this rail project would not be as controversial as it is. Again, just how stupid do you think we are?
on November 5,2012 | 10:07AM
kiragirl wrote:
Do the west-siders pay my bills? Do you think the west-siders care if I live or die? It IS reality that people need to get their priorities in order. Your family and well-bring comes first before people you don't know. So don't give me this bull that not supporting rail is selfish. To me, it is selfish for the westsiders to put an added burden on me.
on November 3,2012 | 06:25AM
false wrote:
Don't blame the Westsiders. Blame the conglomerate big money brokers who a playing the contract game to make investments pay off. It's like Romney's connection to the Scooter Store. The insiders are making a big money play here and we are the sacrifice. When does this town wake up?
on November 3,2012 | 07:25AM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
The westsiders would like to live in a single family home built on ag land while you live in a rabbit hutch, 350 sq foot condo in a 650 foot tall building. They would like to have an "option" to use a train that costs you $5,500 per person but which you will never ride. In fact, only 6% of commuters will have the option that you pay $50,000 per foot to build! They would like to have all this at your expense. So, who is the greedy one? Why are there not condos planned for the westside? Where is the sharing of density? Nahh......kiragirl has it right....the westsiders are selfish.
on November 3,2012 | 09:09AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
I don't blame west side families for this mess. I don't know of any who are particularly excited about 10 years of dust, noise and road closures so some giant multinational can make billions and locals can get jobs holding orange flags for a while.

I feel bad for the west side people. Not only is the "second city" another forgotten developer's scheme, but they'll be far more inconvenienced by this thing than people who don't have to see and hear it every day. They are already using it as an excuse to develop more land between them and town.

Heck, they couldn't even get HART to go out there.
on November 3,2012 | 10:31AM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
Some are innocent bystanders, some are victims and then there are ones like Maeda Timson.

I rest my case.


on November 3,2012 | 11:06AM
popaa wrote:
Rail transportation is efficient. However, what price must we pay for it? Are we gonna get the bang for our bucks? Do we have the population base to support the o&m costs?
on November 3,2012 | 07:52AM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
Light rail, maybe. Elevated heavy rail? No....it is costly, intrusive, noisy and outdated. Nobody in the country proposes an elevated heavy rail system .
on November 3,2012 | 08:55AM
Kuniarr wrote:
Rail is a waste of taxpayer monies and is not needed in Honolulu. The Stop-And-Go Traffic Congestion for which Rail was justified to be built can today be prevented from ever happening by adopting the method used by State DOTs of the US on State and Inter-State highways.
on November 3,2012 | 11:17PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
ukuleleblue wrote: "Everybody hates taxes but wouldn’t you rather have something positive such as a new world class rail line to show for it instead of just a new sewer line?"

FINALLY! You guys admit that our taxes will go up to run this poorly planned monstrosity!!!

And I don't hate taxes, I hate waste.

And in answer to your question, I'd rather have a new sewer line and sewer treatment facilities to keep human waste and bacteria out of our water than this stupid, unaffordable train to D R Horton's Ho'opili. I don't understand why you don't feel the same way.
on November 3,2012 | 09:08AM
Kuniarr wrote:
Rail in Honolulu isn't needed anymore in this the 21st century because the the Stop-And-Go traffic congestion for which Rail was justified upon can be prevented from ever happening on the H1.

Transportation issues in Oahu should not and never be addressed by 21st Century thinking and not outmoded and antiquated thought such as Rail.
on November 3,2012 | 09:40PM
pakeheat wrote:
IRT Berni Chu, I'm hoping you are reading the comments in response to you're letter, how can you say we anti-railers are selfish? Did you know that rail only serves a small portion of the island of Oahu, please state facts that it will serve our community, the aina, and the City in the long run? RAIL will not improve our traffic congestion, that is a FACT. Why pay for something so costly, which doesn't make sense, and if fact since you live in Hawaii Kai you won't even get to use it. If rail was built on you're side where you live, would you ride it on a daily basis? Do you think those living on the East Side will use it? Most workers prefer driving their own cars because of flexibility and convenience, FACT.
on November 3,2012 | 10:19AM
Wahiawamauka wrote:
Vote Cayetano people. Get the vote out. Bring the family. Stop the corrupt politicians like we all stopped Mufi and Calisle!
on November 3,2012 | 10:46AM
Kuniarr wrote:
IRT Berni Chu. Honolulu never needed nor today need Rail as an alternative to Stop-And-Go Traffic congestion.

For before Rail was even contemplated, State DOTs of the US had already found a 21st century method of preventing Stop-And-Go Traffic congestion from ever happening.

So instead of Rail, what Honolulu need to do was adopt what other State DOTs have been doing to prevent Stop-And-Go traffic congestion from occurring..
on November 3,2012 | 12:33PM
cajaybird wrote:
Kuniarr, Of course you know rail is not about traffic congestion, it's about money and power. The only states that have federally funded projects are democratically controlled, surprise surprise.
on November 3,2012 | 03:05PM
Kuniarr wrote:
CORRECTION: Rail may be the choice from the Court Decision.

Except that Honolulu has no need for Rail as an alternative to the nightmare of Stop-and-Go traffic congestion on the H1.

For many State DOTS of the US have already found a way of preventing Stop-And-Go traffic congestion from ever happening on a State or Inter-State highway.

By adopting and applying to our H-1 what many State DOTs of the US have been using we can prevent the nightmare of Stop-and-Go Traffic congestion from ever happening. Such that we do not need Rail anymore to avoid Stop-And-Go Traffic Congestion.
on November 3,2012 | 01:00PM
cajaybird wrote:
The HI rail project is a microcosm of the national approach to jobs; federal financing od union payback projects, running up dept in the process, then promoting the "only" solution is to redistribute wealth through taxing the "rich". It's a formulae that doesn't work. If it did, the former Soviet Union would be going strong. Wake-up.
on November 3,2012 | 02:54PM
cajaybird wrote:
Wake-up Hawaii, not you, Kuniarr (you understand exactly what's going on).
on November 3,2012 | 06:02PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Latest News/Updates