Quantcast

Friday, July 25, 2014         

KAUAKUKALAHALE


 Print   Email   Comment | View 84 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

I mea aha ka 'ōlelo?

By Na DAVID LEE TER‘I ROGERS

POSTED:



Synopsis: What is language used for — to earn money or to communicate with others? And whose place is it to make the decision about which languages have value?

———

Aloha mai kākou hoa heluhelu mai ka moku o Keawe a hiki loa aku i ka moku o Kahelelani a mau loa aku i nā 'āina 'ē a'e ma ke ao nei. Ke lana aku nei kou mea kākau i nā nīnau e kau mai nei i luna a'e, no ka mea ē ua nunui a manomano nā leo loko'ino a mālamalama 'ole e pilau wahahe'e mai nei i ka waiwai o ke a'o 'ana i ka 'ōlelo Hawai'i. Wahi a lakou mea mālamalama 'ole, 'a'ohe waiwai o ka 'ōlelo Hawai'i, no ka mea 'a'ohe wahi hou a'e e 'ōlelo 'ia ai kēia 'ōlelo nahenahe a kūli'u ma ke ao nei, koe ka pae 'āina o Hawai'i nei. Wahi nō ho'i a lākou mea ho'okae Hawai'i, 'a'ohe wahi hana e waiwai ai ka 'ike i ka 'ōlelo Hawai'i. ('O ia kā?!) Inā a'o mai i ka 'ōlelo Hawai'i, 'a'ole e ho'ohana 'ia ana ia 'ōlelo ma ka hana (a 'a'ole ana e loa'a mai nō ho'i ka pu'ukālā). No laila, wahi a nā leo nuha, he hana pohō ke a'o 'ana i ka 'ōlelo Hawai'i ma muli o ka loa'a 'ole 'ana o ke kālā.

'O ka mea 'āpiki na'e, 'a'ole hiki iā lākou mea nuha ke 'ōlelo Hawai'i me ke kūpono. Na lākou wale nō anei e ho'oholo i ka waiwai o kēlā me kēia 'ōlelo a lākou e 'ike 'ole ai? Na lākou iho e ho'oholo ē 'a'ohe waiwai o ka 'ōlelo Hawai'i? 'A'ole kā! He keu ia hana a ka mahalua!

He aha lā ke kumu o ka po'e kūpuna i ho'omaka aku ai i ka 'ōlelo i nā makahiki he 'umi kaukani paha i hala aku nei: i mea e loa'a ai i ka po'e Neanderthal ke kālā ma ka hana e kū'ai mai ai i ke ka'a pipi'i loa paha? 'A'ole kā! He mana'o ho'omāke'aka wale ia. 'O ke kumu o ka 'ōlelo, he mea e wehewehe aku ai nā kānaka i nā mana'o kekahi i kekahi. 'O ia wale iho nō! Ma'alahi, 'eā? I kēia wa, ua like nō a like ke kumu e a'o mai ai i kēlā me kēia 'ōlelo: i mea e ho'ākaaka wale ai i ka mana'o iā ha'i. Ke kama'ilio kākou kekahi i kekahi, 'uku 'ia mai anei kākou no nā hua'ōlelo pākahi a pau, a i 'ole he hana nanea wale anei ia?

Inā he waiwai 'ole nā 'ōlelo ma kahi e 'ōlelo 'ia ai ka 'ōlelo makuahine ma ia wahi wale nō, hele a manomano nā leo “waiwai 'ole”: 'o ka 'ōlelo Icelandic 'oe, 'o ka 'ōlelo Tlingit 'oe, 'o ka 'ōlelo Wollof 'oe, 'o ka 'ōlelo Hmong 'oe, a pēlā mau loa aku. Pehea lā e kāpae wale aku ai i kēlā me kēia 'ōlelo nona nā mānaleo he 500000 a emi mai? Na wai e ho'oholo i ka waiwai, koe ke Akua? Kohu like kēia 'ano mana'o me ka mana'o o ka hui Nazi a me ka hui o Joseph Stalin. Kohu like ia me ka mana'o o ke aupuni Palani nāna ka hana i kēia wā e ho'oko'iko'i ana i nā 'ōlelo kūloko o kona mau panalā'au ma Palani a me nā wahi 'ōlelo Palani hou a'e ma ke ao nei e like me Kahiki.

'O ka mea 'ano 'ē loa na'e, na ka po'e mālamalama 'ole i ho'ohana mai i ka 'ōlelo Hawai'i i loko o kā lākou mau pane ma lalo iho o nā kolamu Kauakūkalahale. Na kā lākou mau 'ōlelo pono'ī i hō'oia a ho'okō i ko'u mau mana'o 'elua e kau a'e nei i luna, a hō'ole iho i ko lākou mana'o pono'ī i ka manawa ho'okahi. 'O ka 'ōlelo ho'i, he mea ia e wehewehe wale ai nō i ka mana'o, a 'a'ole loa ia he mea ho'onui kālā. 'A'ole i loa'a aku iā lākou po'e mālamalama 'ole ke kālā iki ma o kā lākou mau pane. Ua makemake wale iho nō e wehewehe i ko lākou mana'o iki. I kēlā me kēia manawa e 'ōlelo Hawai'i mai ai lākou manu kapalulu ma ka nūpepa nei, e ho'olei ana lākou i ke kaiāulu 'ōlelo Hawai'i i ka lei o ka lanakila.

Ua pau ka 'ōlelo Hawai'i i ka pālahalaha aku ma waho o nā one hānau o Hawai'i. O mau loa aku ka lama kukui o kēia 'ōlelo a mahana i nā kū'ono pākahi a pau o ka honua nei. Eia nō kou mea kākau ma ka 'āina 'o Mekiko kahi e pā mai nei ka mahana o ka lama 'ōlelo Hawai'i. Iā 'oukou mea heluhelu au e aloha manuahi aku ai ma ka 'ōlelo Hawai'i. 'O ia iho ko'u mana'o e wehewehe aku ai. Mahalo.

———
This column is coordinated by Kawaihuelani Center for Hawaiian Language at the University of Hawai'i at Mānoa.






 Print   Email   Comment | View 84 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(84)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
DiverDave wrote:
After the arrival of the missionaries and their tireless work at devising a only spoken Polynesian-Hawaiian language to a written one, they proceeded, by direction of the Kings, Kamehameha II, and the III, to start schools all over the islands. By the late 1840′s there were over 500 schools, and all taught exclusively in Polynesian-Hawaiian. Hawaii was then known as the third most literate area of the world, only behind Scotland, and New England. What a great job the missionaries did! But, it was Kamehameha IV who saw that Polynesian language was not useful to participating on the world stage as Polynesian was spoken no were else. In his first speech to a joint session of the Hawaii Legislature Kamehameha IV called for English to be taught in the schools and used throughout the islands. All speeches and bills in the Hawaiian Kingdom Legislature from the 1860′s up until the 1940′s in the Territorial Congress were spoken and printed in both English and Polynesian. As the Kings continued to bring 10s of thousands of foreign workers here in order to fill their tax coffers there needed to be a comman language used by all. English became that language.
on December 22,2012 | 05:45AM
holokanaka wrote:
thanks joker for your history lesson. are you trying to make a point here? yours truely, stupid racist sovereignty kook fringe
on December 22,2012 | 06:52AM
Anonymous wrote:
What he is trying to say is that the missionaries learned Hawaiian in order to communicate, not for a job to pay bills. Likewise, the "me‘e ‘ilikea", white-skinned heroes, of the Hawaiian Kingdom also spoke Hawaiian. WHY? in order to communicate with the local population. Their actions prove that Hawaiian is important to know, otherwise they would have just stuck with English. It was not until 1896 at the hands of the kiapolō ‘ilikea that the destruction of the Hawaiian language commenced in full force since they had total, oligarchic power and the US mentality of whites are superior was integrated into the island culture. Sad.
on December 28,2012 | 07:04AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
Due to glitches in technology, posts under the name Anonymous are mine, so far. Me ke aloha pumehana, Teri‘i / Keli‘i
on December 28,2012 | 07:22AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
By your own admission you cannot speak Hawaiian. Thus, that is the reason why your diatribe here is completely irrelevant to the article. Your comment has nothing to do with the article. You know nothing the article says, except for two English questions that only hint at what the article is about. In fact, the fact you you cannot speak Hawaiian makes you nothing but an irrelevancy here yourself.
on December 22,2012 | 07:20AM
DiverDave wrote:
Excerpt of Kamehameha IV’s speech given in English and Hawaiian at the opening of the Legislature, April 7, 1855: “It is of the highest importance, in my opinion, that education in the English language should become more general, for it is my firm conviction that unless my subjects become educated in this tongue, their hope of intellectual progress, and of meeting the foreigners on terms of equality, is a vain one”.
on July 2,2013 | 10:04PM
DiverDave wrote:
This comment has been deleted.
on December 22,2012 | 10:11AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
See comment below. Kamehameha IV never legislated the English language in schools. The fact that you print this only furthers my point of the entire article. In Iceland they learn foreign languages, and probably for the same reasons. SO what is your poiint???? Thanks one .... more .... time .... for agreeing with me and my views in the article above (that you obviously cannot read because you would be having a field day with it otherwise....)
on December 25,2012 | 07:12AM
DiverDave wrote:
So my point is that here in Hawaii Kamehameha IV, and all Kings and Queen after that made a very thought out decision for all the above reasons to go with English as the primary language in Hawaii.
on December 22,2012 | 10:23AM
holokanaka wrote:
so chief joker jr, it seems to me you are saying the reason for the english language was for money. So I guess that was the reason the republic made english the official language rather than these islands being by-lingual. Today english and Hawaiian are the official language in these islands. Do you think that when you phase out/strongly discourage the use of an indigineous language the goal may be to totally destroy a people and their culture. Certainly some experts believe and argue that is the purpose. I ask these questions because being by-lingual does not seem to be a detriment to other nations. Some of the european nations are bi-lingual and even some Islands in this Pacific, e.g. Tahitions speak Tahitian and french and the Maquestions speak Marquesan and french and does not seem detrimental to them. The Mo'i of these Islands certainly did not discourage in any way the use of their beloved language and their culture but in fact strongly encourage it. I think it was very encouraging to the ha*le to make these laws on a small and weak nation, especially since the the declining Kanaka Maoli population, about ninety-five thousand in 1836 alone.
on December 22,2012 | 01:12PM
DiverDave wrote:
There you go again calling me a racist slur "Chief Joker" and using the word "ha*le" that is a derogitory word for a white person. For someone who speaks of repect for your culture you don't give any to others, that not only makes you a bigot, but a racist. So I show myself to have better character than you I will answer. The whole idea of freedom in the U.S. is to practice your language, culture, or religion any time you want. Nobody is stopping you. This is what your Polynesian elders understood. There were at least 5 Polynesian names in the committee that wrote the Constitution of the Republic, and the Speaker of the House of the Republic was a full-blooded Polynesian John Kaulukou. The majority of the Territorial Congress were Polynesians. The largest voting block of any ethnicity in the islands of the citizenry was Polynesian. Our first two Representatives to the U.S. Congress were Wilcox, and Prince Kuhio (who Represented us in Congress till 1923). They all very much wanted to become a full fledged State of the U.S. and embraced all things American, including the language English. If they wanted it to be different they simply would have voted it so. And, who said that the U.S. is not bilingual? Haven't you been to California lately? What the Polynesian elders knew is that if you want someone to understand what you are saying in France don't speak Polynesian.
on December 22,2012 | 04:19PM
Anonymous wrote:
chief joker is not a racist tem because it is not capitalized. the non-capitalized word 'chief" is defined as 'main' or 'head" whereas "Chief" is a title like Mister that would indeed be indicative of Native American heritage. You yourself made the difference clear when you capitalized what holokanaka said, redefining a non-racist name into one just to be vindictive. The Hawaiian word you mention is not racist, either. You do not speak Hawaiian, and therefore you do not get to decide what meaning it holds. The puku‘-elbert dictionary speaks of no pejorative meaning whatsoever. In fact, this whole commentary this week is just proving that point, each and every time someone says white racist. Mahalo! the Star-Advertiser is violating our Hawai‘i Constitutional rights to use that Hawaiian word as protected by the Hawaiian language's 'Official Language of the State" status.
on December 28,2012 | 08:04AM
DiverDave wrote:
Why don't you just stop making excuses for all your hatred and racism about "white people" David Rogers.
on December 28,2012 | 09:07AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
Terii_Kelli here. I just don't know why i am having computer issues lately. Anyways, see my posts at the bottom of the comments about this. I am white and so is my whole family. Consequently, I cannot be racist against white people. HE, however, can be racist as a 100% white man against the brown-skinned Hawaiians.
on December 29,2012 | 10:01AM
DiverDave wrote:
Your understanding of what constitutes racism is flawed.
on February 20,2013 | 11:20AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
This is me again, Terii_Kelii. I dont know why I am having computer issues here in Mexico. At any rate, see my comments below about this above. I am white as is my whole family. Consequently, I cannot be racist against white people. He, however, can be racist as a 100% white person against the brown-skinned Hawaiians.
on December 29,2012 | 10:08AM
DiverDave wrote:
As I have said before, the revolution of 1893 was not a revolution against the Polynesian peoples of the islands, (like the sovereignty fringe like to imply in order to vitimize unknowing Polynesian-Hawaiians), but an overthrow of a form of government that had become corrupt and unrepresentative of ALL the peoples of Hawaii. Over half of all the government workers in the Republic of Hawaii were Polynesians.
on December 22,2012 | 04:42PM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
ummm, no it wasn´t.
on December 25,2012 | 07:16AM
DiverDave wrote:
As I have said before: The revolution of 1893 was not a revolution against the Polynesian peoples of the islands, but a revolution in order to change a corrupt and unrepresentative form of government to a Democratic one. More than half of the day to day government workers in the Republic of Hawaii were Polynesians. (Sorry about the multiple posts but the robot didn't want to take anything longer).
on December 22,2012 | 04:47PM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
ooooohhhhhhh. When you say a corrupt and unrepresentative form of government, you mean like the oligarchy (read DICTATORSHIP ruled more than one person) that was set up after. It was called the Provisional Government/ ''Republic'' of Hawaii. As I recall, when several people who helped overthrow the queen were interviewed, they were asked what kind of government would be best for Hawaii. They first insisted that indigenous Hawaiians could never run a government themselves, and then they stated in no uncertain terms that an oligarchy would be best for the islands. That doesnt sound very representative to me.
on December 23,2012 | 07:46AM
holokanaka wrote:
the 1893 was not a revolution but a conspiracy and it's goal was to make these Islands part of america (annexation). read Blount Report, President Clevelands address to congress. the consiracy to annex to america did not succeedand therefore the provinsial government had no choice but to create the phony republic and stall for time till there was a more simpathetic administration in washington.
on December 24,2012 | 07:13AM
DiverDave wrote:
The revolution of 1893 was a direct result of Liliuokalani's attempt to establish a despotic constitution and government after she swore to uphold the existing constitution. As I have noted above the Republic of Hawaii was whole heartedly embraced by Polynesian leadership as they understood the benefits of Democracy over Despotism. Even Robert Wilcox who led an attempt at restoration of Liliuokalani eventually came to love Democracy and became Hawaii's first Representative to the U.S. Congress from the Territorial Legislature. By the way the open Senate hearings(headed up by John T. Morgan, a Democrat) held later concerning the revolution were open to all and under oath and showed little envolvement of the U.S. in the actual Revolution, unlike Blount who holed up in secret in a hotel room in Honolulu and never interviewed any of the leaders of the Revolution. Blount's one-sided investigation was neither full or accurate. It was based on only half the evidence. Blount, sent by Cleveland, had a agenda. Blount and Cleveland are meaningless anyway as Cleveland couldn't even muster renomination for President by his own party, and left office soon after.
on December 24,2012 | 10:05AM
holokanaka wrote:
morgan who advocated for jim crow laws, was the grand dragon of the kkk, who was looking to Hawaii as an option to ship the southern blacks to? that john t morgan. you got to be kidding.Queen Lili'uokalani's attempt to establish a Lawful Constitution was mostly at the request of her people unlike the constitution she wanted to replace. ofcourse you are familiar with the process by which that constitution was "instituted". you know the "constitution" which supressed many of the Hawaiian vote but ofcourse gave the vote to their ha*le friends (non subjects/foreigners). so I ask you again Chief joker jr (diver dave) what is the LEGAL procedure by which these islands became part of america/show me a legally "ratified" annexation treaty.
on December 24,2012 | 01:04PM
DiverDave wrote:
Morgan had a past, but did he testify during the Senate hearings? No. The Senate hearings were all up and up. In the end everyone in the U.S. Senate knew that Stevens had done what he should have, to protect the interests of U.S. Citizens in Hawaii. I find you a to be quite an amazing racist yourself, continuing to call me "Chief Joker" because of my Chickasaw blood. We don't have to speculate about you being a racist do we?
on December 24,2012 | 08:50PM
holokanaka wrote:
if everyone in the us senate knew that stevens was correct why didn't they pass an annexation treaty with at least one of the two attempts? if stevens decision for landing the troups was to protect us citizens why were they positioned at the Palace instead of a position to protect these us citizens as testified by an officer of the landing party? oh and by the way as I have said before you are a disgrace to the honor of your Indian Ancestors.
on December 24,2012 | 11:28PM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
the only way you hav Chickasaw blood is if you had a blood transfusion, and then you probably stole to Chickasaw's land after just to say '' Take that, you savage!''
on December 25,2012 | 07:14AM
DiverDave wrote:
More racist comments by the writer Rogers.
on December 26,2012 | 12:01PM
holokanaka wrote:
who is Rogers?
on December 26,2012 | 12:37PM
DiverDave wrote:
Holokanaka says: "Who is Rodgers?". The writer of the article and Terii Kelii are one in the same. What planet are you on? I think you should not smoke before you post , sir.
on December 26,2012 | 10:02PM
holokanaka wrote:
chill already joker
on December 27,2012 | 07:13AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
Despotic constitution? You mean like how foreigners were allowed to vote under previous constitutions forced upon the monarchy? That kind of despotic?
on December 25,2012 | 07:09AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
a conspiracy?! Stop being so polite about it.
on December 25,2012 | 07:07AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
and Hawaiian was the language of the islands then, in the home, on the street, in the newspapers, etc. Samoa is the same way now- there are many schools where English is taught, but has the Samoan language been diminished to near extinction? NO! The Samoan language is thriving. Were it not for the white people who overthrew the queen, Hawaiian would still be a major language of the Pacific. Moreover, the fact that you bring up English language in foreign schools(Kingdom of Hawaii) only VERIFIES the points I made in the article. Mahalo! That is the same reason we teach Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, etc in the US schools, not because English is worthless but a 2nd language is used as a means of communication. I am sooooo very happy that you see it my way for once. Thank you again for agreeing with me.
on December 23,2012 | 07:40AM
DiverDave wrote:
This is a first, the writer of the column also comments, eh? First you don't know your history. What do they teach in the Hawaiian Studies? The Provisional Government and the Republic of Hawaii were two seperate things. And to say that you think "recall" that a few people said something pertaining to the government is bogus. Site your sources. You just can't take that the Polynesian language will never be ready for prime time, as it is spoken no where else in the world. If you want to play the blame game, blame the Polynesian Kings and Queen, and all the Polynesian elders that were very much a part of the decisions that led to English being the primary spoken language in the islands.
on December 23,2012 | 08:16AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
two separate things and Dole ran both. So what's your point? as for the sources, YOU never, ever cite any sources and consequently, it is hypocritical of you to even demand that someone else does. ANYONE who has read source material and not some biased history books will know exactly what my sources are. Those source materials for me are in Hawai‘i. I am currently living in Mexico. If it bothers you that much, then you can just buy me the plane ticket there to go back and give you the page numbers. Oh, no plane ticket for me??? Well then it must not be that much of a problem for you then. Again, I have a diploma in Hawaiian, you DON'T.
on December 23,2012 | 06:56PM
DiverDave wrote:
You are so fixated on a white man doing anything aren't you? Your problem is a matter of race, you show it in everyone of your posts. A person needs only to go to last weeks Kauakukalahale to verify what I say. My posts this week were centered on the first speech of Kamehameha IV. Simply Google or Bing: "Kamehameha IV Speeches" and click on the Gutenberg link. If you had actually learned Hawaiian History in College you would have some cred. Your problem is that you are full of acquired racism for anyone white that had to do with anything in Hawaii. You just can't bear the truth that a Democracy is better than a "Kingdom" and someone other than a Polynesian can play a roll can you?
on December 23,2012 | 09:34PM
DiverDave wrote:
P.S.: Stay in Mexico. Hawaii has enough racists already.
on December 23,2012 | 10:45PM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
We know that already. You and your other personality are already there.
on December 24,2012 | 07:21AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
Kamehameha IV knew that the white people in the US who held Africans as slaves would never learn a brown-skinned people's language. Obviously! So...... what were you saying about democracy? you mean a democracy of the 1850's US kind of democracy? And you brought up the "ethnic cleansing of white people" nutjob conspiracy theory first Kenny. So do not try to throw it back on us. Anyone who can read is also able to see that is a fact.
on December 27,2012 | 11:03AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
Again, learning English to converse with English speakers and ditching Hawaiian altogether are two very different things. One more time, in Samoa, NOW, there are schools where English is the language of instruction. Does that mean that Samoans see the Samoan language as useless? I DARE you to ask a Samoan that question. Once you wake up, then you can realize that if it were not for white people like you with your WHITE IS RIGHT mentality, then the world would be a far better place, especially Hawaii. I read a lot more than speeches when I was in school, far more than you ever did, and I did it on my own time, not in classes by Lilikala Kameeleihiwa or Haunani-Kay Trask. HWST 107 was the only HWST course I EVER took. I make up my OWN mind about things. I do not listen to other people. Learning other languages is solely a means of communication. So, you never addressed the point- since English is the lingua franca of the world, then why are we still teaching foreign languages in schools? oh yeah one more thing. I am white just like you, Kenny, oh I mean Dave. (Could you just pick one name and stick with it?!)
on December 24,2012 | 07:32AM
DiverDave wrote:
Where did I say that we should "ditch" any language? I clearly stated above: "the whole idea of freedom in the United States is to practice your language, culture, or religion anytime you want". However, there must be a dominate language in any society for those in it to communicate with each other least we turn into a Tower of Babel. Additionally, while I am flattered that you think I and Mr. Ken Conklin are one in the same I assure you I am just me. Mr. Conklin knows far more than I ever will about not only the Polynesian-Hawaiian language, but of the history of these islands. Lastly, while you are fixated with ones skin color I have clearly stated for years now that part of my heritage is Chickasaw Native American. I can't believe that this paper would ever print another word from your racist mind.
on December 24,2012 | 10:25AM
holokanaka wrote:
come on joker, enough already with this "you are a racicist" retoric.
on December 24,2012 | 01:03PM
DiverDave wrote:
With you and the writer of this column your racism is not rhetoric, but reality!
on December 24,2012 | 01:40PM
holokanaka wrote:
gee joker, you responded to this post with a smart arse remark but didn't respond to my other post @ 1.04 pm. whats up.anxiously awaiting your response. yours truly, stupid racist sovereignty kook fringe-(srskf)
on December 24,2012 | 02:52PM
DiverDave wrote:
Ok David Rogers, you've had enough time. When or where did I say anything about "ditching" the Polynesian language. And you call yourself an educated person. Don't they make you cite your sources in Hawaiian Studies, or do they just make you repeat 10 times before you go to bed each night, "I hate white people"?
on December 26,2012 | 11:43AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
Excuse you, but it wa Christmas and I was on vacation in Acapulco. Moreover, many previous comments were deleted once they were archived. So I am still searching. Case in point was the September 18, 2010 article where Kenny (read: YOU) had the huge hissy fit conspiracy theory temper tantrum over the English word "chance" that appeared in that article. All those comments, thankfully, are gone.
on December 27,2012 | 12:19PM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
To continue, further down in the comments of the April 7th column, you state "Schools need to utilize the precious time in the day, and not WASTE (emphasis added) it. Anything that is taught must now equate to a positive reward for the future. Let's not waste time and dolars (sic) on something that has no positive reward outcome. ....However, if Hawaiians, with their money, want to have an after school club, or a Saturday morning club at a local community center to teach their language they should do it." There!! In spite of the renaissance of Hawaiian and the demand for it in schools by the students, YOU want a defacto BAN on the Hawaiian language as a school subject and place it into a second-class status as a hobby type of education experience. It is the 2nd most popular second language in the UH university system. You just have to accept that fact. at any rate, that sounds like you want to ditch Hawaiian language to me!
on January 1,2013 | 10:03AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
Terii_Kelii here --- This section should be above the section that starts "To continue..." On March 31, 2012, you insulted the Hawaiian language majors at the University of Hawaii at Manoa and those at the University of Hawaii at Hilo when you said this ' Unfortunately the Hawaiian language is used no where else in the world, so the students degree and $10 won't even buy them a latte at Starbucks " Basically in SO MANY words, you called it useless and worthless. On the other hand, I responded to your comment under that article of June 2012 with concrete proof that you are wrong. /// As for ditching the Hawaiian language for other languages, you exact words were this " But, how is (learning Hawaiian) going to help a graduate find good work after graduation? If we as a state want to better spend our money on teaching a language that equates to a good job perhaps we should be teaching Chinese." There, you are advocating ditching Hawaiian language for other languages, like Chinese. Furthermore, you claim that learning a foreign language has one sole purpose - to get work. My column above rebuts that ridiculous statement since the first language ever created was in order to communicate, not to earn enough money to buy a BMW. WOW! You are so short-sighted. Moreover, the rebuttal that I tagged to the March 31st article further shoots down your condescending insult of Hawaiian.
on January 1,2013 | 10:17AM
DiverDave wrote:
Correction: I should have said to check Terii Kellii coments in the Nov. 24, 2012 Kauaklukalahale column, titled KaLa Ku'oko'a.
on December 26,2012 | 12:22PM
Anonymous wrote:
Please check all comments about Kenny / Dave from every single article since its inception, because the 2 faces of racism aka Kenny / Dave are the white is right racists against brown people. I am as white as he is and so is my whole family. I cannot be racist against white people as it claims. That is a contradiction and paradox that does not fly. A white man trying to perpetuate the oppression and forced assimilation of Hawaiians as a people IS racist.
on December 27,2012 | 04:55PM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
Oh and one more thing, Kenny/Dave, you don't know if any other authors responded in the comments section or not. I am the only one to identify myself, AND this is the SECOND time in fact, because I did the same under the March 10th, 2012 article. You either need to be checked out for Alheimers or take better notes.
on December 25,2012 | 07:19AM
DiverDave wrote:
See comment below concerning David Rogers comments on the March 10, 2012 article.
on December 26,2012 | 11:28AM
Anonymous wrote:
Yes go back to the bottom of the March 10, 2012 article where I added again my previous comment to Dave that was deleted when I closed my elijahhawaii account. It took getting my account closed to get Kenny's rédnéck çräckér comment deleted, but it was worth it.
on December 28,2012 | 08:12AM
DiverDave wrote:
You closed that account so that those awful racist comments you made would be deleted. You are so full of baloney. Did you learn this in school? The University should be ashamed of you and your comments. The newspaper should also banish you forever. You have no cred.
on December 28,2012 | 09:17AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
Terii_Kelii here. Oh no, not at all. I stand by every comment. Do you stand behind the red daiper dooper baby comment that you made on Oct 20th and again on Oct 27th AND on June 23rd under the name Anonymous? If you do, that would speak volumes about your own character.
on December 28,2012 | 04:40PM
tiki886 wrote:
test
on December 25,2012 | 03:07PM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
passed! You got an A. You can find out where Kenny got his online PhD from and get one of your own!
on December 26,2012 | 09:59AM
Ken_Conklin wrote:
on December 24,2012 | 04:44PM Terii_Kelii wrote: " ... there were 28 schools in the Kingdom of Hawaii at the time of the overthrow where Hawaiian was the medium of instruction." Well, there's a typical example of the sovereignty guys using half-truths to pull the wool over everyone's eyes. Here's the full truth. A scholarly study of the history of language in Hawaii was done as a dissertation by John Reinecke at the University of Hawai'i in 1935. The dissertation was improved and published as a book. John E. Reinecke, "Language and Dialect in Hawaii: A Sociolinguistic History to 1935." Edited by Stanley M. Tsuzaki. Honolulu: Universiry of Hawaii Press, 1969. Reprinted 1988. Paperback edition February, 1995. Mr. Reinecke says the shift from Hawaiian language to English began under the Kingdom and was very far along by the time the monarchy was overthrown (see Table 8, pp. 70-73). Reinecke's chart summarizes the number of schools and students operating in Hawaiian and English based on Education Department reports from 1847 to 1902. The number of students in Hawaiian language schools falls continuously through this period while the number in English-language schools rises; likewise the numbers of schools operating in the respective languages. The number of students in Hawaiian-language schools dropped below 50% in 1881 or 1882. By 1892 (the year before the overthrow, when native Hawaiians still ruled the government), only 5.2% of students were in Hawaiian language schools and there were only 28 such schools in the Kingdom; at the same time, 94.8% of students were in the 140 English-language schools. The main reason for the 1896 law requiring English to be the language of instruction had nothing to do with suppressing Hawaiian language. The purpose was to make sure that the thousands of Chinese and Japanese kids on the sugar plantations would grow up being able to speak English. The law did NOT prohibit parents from establishing after-school or weekend academies where the language of instruction could be Japanese, Chinese, or Hawaiian thereby preserving their native language. Impoverished Japanese plantation workers somehow found the money to do that; but Hawaiian parents (who were by law paid a higher wage rate) chose not to set up schools where Hawaiian would be the language of instruction, precisely because the Hawaiian parents wanted their kids to learn English, as proved by the fact that 95% of all the Hawaiian kids were already in English-language schools BEFORE the revolution of 1893.
on December 25,2012 | 08:26PM
holokanaka wrote:
"Well, there"s the typical sovereignty guys using half-truths to pull the wool over everyones eyes". What do you call your angelfire site that purports to claim a lawfully ratified annexation treaty of these islands?
on December 25,2012 | 10:36PM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
EXACTLY! Obviously, KKKonklin has never heard of the Newlands Resolution.
on December 26,2012 | 09:57AM
DiverDave wrote:
The Newlands Resolution passed the U.S. Senate with 2/3rds majority vote. With that majority (the same needed to approve a treaty by only the Senate) the resolution was never challenged by anyone at the time. It has only come into question since the sovereignty kook fringe movement started in the late 60's and early 1970's. By the way Obama passed his awful healthcare bill the same way, by joint resolution of Congress.
on December 26,2012 | 11:51AM
holokanaka wrote:
newlands resolution like the resolution that passed Obamacare are joint resolutions and is a domestic law. it does not extend (have any jurisdiction) beyond its borders. the Queen, in fact, challenged it. just to make crystal clear to you, joker, A JOINT RESOLUTION IS NOT AN ANNEXATION TREATY. I challenge to show me I am wrong besides just saying so. remember joker I have informed you of the 1998 u.s. department of justice, legal division on the legal status of these Islands.
on December 26,2012 | 12:54PM
holokanaka wrote:
1988 u.s. justice department....
on December 26,2012 | 12:59PM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
What they also fail to mention ON PURPOSE is that King Kamehameha IV offered to make English a more general subject in schools, ie more widely taught than before. He was NOT advocating ditching Hawaiian for English. That point is proven by the fact that there were still schools where Hawaiian was the means of instruction in 1893. Why were there more English language schools at that time? Look at the 1890 census, out of 90,000 inhabitants, only 40,000 - less than half - were Hawaiian. Obviously the population shift due to illnesses in the Hawaiian population and the large immigration of non-Hawaiian plantation workers had a major impact on the language used then. It was NOT the Hawaiians who effectuated the change but the "white is right!" white men in charge. Shot those two down AGAIN......
on January 5,2013 | 10:27AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
Referring to disserations by other racist white people like yourself is typical of you. Next you will be asserting as fact the late UH professor Porteus' work that white people are superior because their cranial cavities are larger and hence their brains are larger. *LAUGH* I hate to burst your bubble, but alchemy is not real either. If the oligarchic "Republic" of Hawaii only wanted to see fit that English was taught and they wanted YOUR "equality for ALL" utopia for the Islands then they would have taken their DOE to task for banning the Hawaiian language in school. HOWEVER, THAT NEVER HAPPENED: CHILDREN WERE ABUSED FOR SPEAKING THE HAWAIIAN LANGUAGE IN SCHOOL AND YOU ARE TRYING TO DEFEND CHILD ABUSE.
on December 26,2012 | 09:57AM
DiverDave wrote:
In searching the article Terr Kellii refrences hi wrote on March 10, 2012, it is interesting that no Terri kelli made any comments. Just a bad mouthed boyelijahhawaii3 and someone named Thinkaboutit. In anycase, this proves that David Rogers signs in under different names and is therefore unethical, to go along with his other poor traits concerning race.
on December 26,2012 | 11:26AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
As you have stated before, you have insulted, denigrated, and maligned the Hawaiian language with immature pot shots like calling it a "secre code" of some sort. Now you expect everyone to take what YOU say about the Hawaiian language seriously. The ONLY reason you post this is your implication that everything Hawaiian is worthless. Number do not prove the value of the language, no matter how you twist them. Let's not forget that many alii traveled to EUROPE *ahem* *cough cough* to get an education and learned all sorts of languages, just as Hawaiians back home learned English in schools. Again, it is the Iceland and Samoa comparision. Unlike your thinly veiled jibes and conversely very blunt insults against the Hawaiian language, there is but one reason the Hawaiians learned language- for communication. Mahalo for agreeing with me as well, Kenny, on that point. (note the last year of publication for a Hawaiian language newspaper was the mid 1900s not the 1800s) While the Hawaiians communicated with each other at home, in the street, at work, they spoke English with Americans just like you who stuck their noses up at those who were not white and spoke a different language. Again, it was the 1800s, not the 1970s. Back then White is Right was the norm. That is why former slaves in your "equality for all" fantsay island called the US democracy could not vote then. Why would they think that people who call them indolent andregarded them like the exslaves in the US like the would ever learn their language???? You and your alter-ego Dave are living proof of that. Again, thanks for agreeing that language sole purpose for communication.
on December 26,2012 | 05:02PM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
I dropped that account for another with a name that former classmates would recognize and remember. If you had bothered to look at all the previous articles, the comments under that name were deleted when I changed accounts. See? You ARE Kenny, because you think every little thing is some sort of nutjob conspiracy theory. Where was I??'' Oh yeah, looking for all YOUR violations of the Terms of Service so that I can email that out to the SA by New Years. One more thing, check the article on Nov 12, 2011 where I had Kenny's racist comment removed- the rédnéck çråcker one.
on December 26,2012 | 05:07PM
DiverDave wrote:
Be careful Rogers what you say. I am not Ken Conklin and I will sue You, the University, and the Newspaper for liable. Let this be a public anouncement!
on December 26,2012 | 10:07PM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
Yes, you are. AND I cannot be sued for libel (notice the correct spelling- again your lack of education is showing again) and slander when what I say is true. YOU are a white racist and in all probability you are a official member of the Ku Klux Klan, an Aryan Nation group, the Neo-Nazis, or the skinheads. As for the university ...... I live and work in Mexico. UH has nothing to do with this. I am LIABLE to start laughing at such nonsense. too late! *LAUGH*
on December 27,2012 | 10:26AM
DiverDave wrote:
Thank you for acknowlegeding my public anouncment
on December 27,2012 | 11:09PM
Anonymous wrote:
Let me know when you have my address in Mexico, and make sure to publish it here. Oh and another thing. Libel and slander are not actionable in a court of law when 1) the person is telling the truth and 2) when you have no documented proof that you have suffered any harm from another's words. Good luck finding an attorney for this one, Kenny. bwahahahahaha What a white racist conspriacy theorist.
on December 28,2012 | 08:21AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
PS if you cannot take the heat, then don't start the fire.
on December 27,2012 | 11:06AM
Anonymous wrote:
are you going to call me a red diaper dooper baby again if I dont? bwahahahahahahahhahaha
on December 27,2012 | 05:04PM
holokanaka wrote:
I hope you do not try to have joker(diver dave) removed from here. he is funny and I am having fun and enjoy his rants.
on December 27,2012 | 07:21AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
I know, right?! He is probably a birther, too! LMOO!
on December 27,2012 | 11:34AM
DiverDave wrote:
David Rogers fiquires that this is his last harra so he is going for even an Anonymous post!
on December 27,2012 | 11:06PM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
Terii_Kelii here. I am not sure why my posts suddenly are coming up as Anonymous. However, the same happened to you back on June 23rd 2012 when you called Superchase a "dirty diaper dooper baby." Since I am not paranoid like you to think every little thing that happens is some sort of conspiracy theory, I will gladly refrain from berating you about a computer glitch. Why would I? I am nothing like YOU at all.
on December 28,2012 | 04:43PM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
see my comment below and the one above as well about changing accounts.
on December 28,2012 | 08:18AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
Terii_Kelii here. I am white as is my whole family. Consequently, I cannot be racist against white people.
on December 28,2012 | 05:14PM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
Terii_Kelii here. I am white as is my family. Consequently, I cannot be racist against white people. NOT a nice try at all.
on December 28,2012 | 05:15PM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
coward
on December 28,2012 | 05:15PM
false wrote:
On March 31, 2012, you insulted the Hawaiian language majors at the University of Hawaii at Manoa and those at the University of Hawaii at Hilo when you said this ' Unfortunately the Hawaiian language is used no where else in the world, so the students degree and $10 won't even buy them a latte at Starbucks " Basically in SO MANY words, you called it useless and worthless. On the other hand, I responded to your comment under that article of June 2012 with concrete proof that you are wrong. /// As for ditching the Hawaiian language for other languages, you exact words were this " But, how is (learning Hawaiian) going to help a graduate find good work after graduation? If we as a state want to better spend our money on teaching a language that equates to a good job perhaps we should be teaching Chinese." There, you are advocating ditching Hawaiian language for other languages, like Chinese. Furthermore, you claim that learning a foreign language has one sole purpose - to get work. My column above rebuts that ridiculous statement since the first language ever created was in order to communicate, not to earn enough money to buy a BMW. WOW! You are so short-sighted. Moreover, the rebuttal that I tagged to the March 31st article further shoots down your condescending insult of Hawaiian.
on January 1,2013 | 09:51AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
That was me, not false. So the computers are still acting up. Of course what else would you expect from lackluckster employees at the Star-Advertiser? Their product demonstrates their (lack of) abilities
on January 1,2013 | 10:07AM
DiverDave wrote:
Excerpt of Kamehameha IV’s speech given in English and Hawaiian at the opening of the Legislature, April 7, 1855: “It is of the highest importance, in my opinion, that education in the English language should become more general, for it is my firm conviction that unless my subjects become educated in this tongue, their hope of intellectual progress, and of meeting the foreigners on terms of equality, is a vain one”.
on July 2,2013 | 10:04PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Latest News/Updates
Blogs
Volley Shots
Fey, Enriques on MJNT

Political Radar
Wilhelmina Rise, et al.

Court Sense
Cold War

Political Radar
Climate change

Island Crafters
YouCanMakeThis.com

Warrior Beat
Empty pit

Political Radar
Switch

Political Radar
`Progressive hero’