Quantcast

Saturday, July 12, 2014         

KAUAKUKALAHALE


 Print   Email   Comment | View 34 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

He aha ka mea e pono ai?

By Kekeha Solis

POSTED:



Synopsis: Due to the recent shooting spree in Connecticut, the issue of gun control has resurfaced.

Welina e nā makamaka heluhelu, 'akahi nō a hala akula ka lā Kalikimaka. He lā ia e nanea ai me nā 'ohana a me nā hoa aloha. 'O ka mea minamina na'e, 'o ia ka hana māna'ona'o i 'ike 'ia iho nei ma Konekikuka i kēlā mau pule i hala aku nei, i ka lā 11 ho'i o Kēkēmapa. 'O ia ka lā i hele aku ai kekahi kanaka i ke kula 'o Sandy Hook e kī wale aku i nā kumu a me nā haumāna o laila. Ua make ihola he 26 mau kānaka i ua kanaka lā. He 20 keiki, a he ‘eono mau kānaka makua. 'O ke po'o kumu kekahi i kī 'ia akula i ka pū a make. Aloha nō nā 'ohana o ia mau keiki i make aku nei.

'O kahi nīnau nui e kau nei i kēia manawa, 'o ia ka ho'ohāiki 'ia 'ana o ka loa'a 'ana o ka pū i 'ole e loa'a wale i ke kanaka, a i 'ole ho'i e 'ike hou 'ia aku ia 'ano hana māna'ona'o i 'ike 'ia aku nei ma Konekikuka. A 'a'ole ia hana 'o ka mua o ia 'ano hana e kau ai ka weli i ka pū ma kahi kula i nā makahiki he 15 i hala iho nei. I ka makahiki 2007, ua kī kekahi haumāna kulanui i nā kānaka he 32 i ka pū a make ma ke Kulanui 'o Wilikinia Teka. I ka makahiki 1999, ua kī a'ela kekahi mau haumāna 'elua o ke kula ki'eki'e 'o Columbine i nā haumāna a me nā kumu a make. He 13 lākou. A inā e helu pū 'ia nā wahi 'ē a'e, 'a'ole he kula, e kaumaha loa ka na'au.

A no laila, he mea maika'i ke lilo ka ho'ohāiki 'ia 'ana o ka loa'a 'ana o ka pū i ke kanaka i mea kama'ilio 'ia. Akā, ke ho'ā'o nei kekahi mau kānaka e ho'ohāmau loa aku i kekahi e kāko'o ana i ka ho'ohāiki 'ana, i mea paha e lohe 'ole 'ia ai kona leo. A 'o ka mea nona ia leo, 'o ia nō 'o Pirisa Molokana (Piers Morgan). Ua noi ho'opi'i lākou ala iā Pelekikena Barack Obama i ka ho'i 'ana aku o Molokana i kona 'āina hānau me ka 'ōlelo 'ana a'e, ke hana 'ino nei 'o Molokana i ke Kumu Kānāwai o 'Amelika Hui Pū 'ia. A i ka nānā 'ana aku nei, he 87,000 mau kānaka i pūlima aku nei i ia palapala ho'opi'i.

'Eā, 'o ka ho'ohāiki 'ana i ka loa'a o ka pū, he ha'ina maika'i paha ia, 'a'ole paha. Akā, no ke aha lā e ho'ā'o 'ia nei e ho'onalonalo 'ia kahi leo. Wahi a ka lohe, 'o 'Amelika Hui Pū 'ia kēia, kahi e 'ōlelo aku ai ke kanaka e like me kona makemake. Aia lā kekahi po'e o 'Amelika ke kū'ē nei i ia mana'o. Pehea lā e pono ai? 'A'ole ka 'ōlelo a Molokana he mea e 'eha ai a e make ai nā kānaka he nui.

E kama'ilio 'ia kēia nīnau i mea e pa'a ai ka hana kūpono e holo mua ai. Ho'omana'o ihola ko 'oukou mea kākau i ka 'ōlelo a Kalika Pōhaku (Chris Rock) no ia mea 'o ka ho'ohāiki i ka loa'a o ka pū. Ha'i maila 'o Pōhaku, “'A'ole pono ka ho'ohāiki i ka loa'a o ka pū. He pono ka ho'ohāiki i ka loa'a o ka pōkā. He $5,000 o ka pōkā ho'okahi. Inā pēlā, 'a'ole e kī wale 'ia aku ke kanaka.

Maika'i loa paha ia mana'o o Kalika Pōhaku, a he pololei paha. 'O ka mea minamina, inā e ho'ohāiki 'ia iho ka loa'a o ka pū a o ka pōkā paha, he akamai ke kanaka. E 'imi 'ia a'e nō i wahi e loa'a ai ia mau mea 'elua, a i wahi paha e hō'eha ai i nā kānaka he nui me ka loa'a 'ole o ia mau mea. A no laila, he pono kākou a pau ke no'ono'o a pa'a kahi ha'ina e pono ai kākou.

'O ia ihola kahi mana'o i 'ike 'oukou. Ke ho'i akula ko Mānoa keiki, ua ahiahi. Aloha Makahiki Hou iā 'oukou e nā makamaka heluhelu.

E ho'ouna 'ia mai na ? leka i? m?ua, 'o ia ho'i 'o Laiana Wong a me Kekeha Solis ma ka pahu leka uila ma lalo nei:
» kwong@hawaii.edu
» rsolis@hawaii.edu
a i ‘ole ia, ma ke kelepona:
» 956-2627 (Laiana)
» 956-2627 (Kekeha)
This column is coordinated by Kawaihuelani Center for Hawaiian Language at the University of Hawai'i at Mānoa.






 Print   Email   Comment | View 34 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(34)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
Ken_Conklin wrote:
Have you seen those T-shirts and car stickers with the slogan "Defend Hawaii" showing an assault rifle? They're sold in lots of malls and surf shops. Nobody will say what it is that we're supposed to use guns to defend Hawaii FROM. One of their T-shirts shows the Kamehameha statue with the King holding an AR-15 assault rifle in his outstretched hand. There were huge protests a few years ago when a tourist brochure showed the statue with the King holding a martini in his hand. But nobody seems to protest the "Defend Hawaii" junk. Gosh, I wonder why? The company selling the shirts even had a special Christmas sale going on at Windward Mall at the same time on Sunday December 16 when President Obama was giving a nationally televised speech in the town where the twenty 6-year-old kids were massacred the day before. The "Defend Hawaii" T-shirts show the same AR-15 assault rifle used in the school massacre. And Windward mall is owned by Kamehameha Schools, which doesn't seem to put any pressure on the merchant to stop selling those shirts glorifying guns to "defend Hawaii." There's a photo of the T-shirt with the Kamehameha statue holding the assault rifle, and additional details, at http://tinyurl.com/c2puv6p
on December 29,2012 | 08:43AM
DiverDave wrote:
Kamehameha I would certainly not have been in favor of gun control. He and his British sailor friend John Young used what were the state of the art weaponry( guns and cannon) to slaughter 10's of thousands of his fellow Polynesians in order to steal the Hawaii Islands for himself . Maybe it is fitting that he holds an AR-15. Of course, in his case it wasn't to "Defend Hawaii" but to subjugate it for himself.
on December 29,2012 | 09:06AM
Anonymous wrote:
That reminds me of the US Civil War. President Abraham Lincoln would not have favored gun control. The Americans he ruled killed thousands upon other thousands of (sort of former) Americans in order to defend the US against white racist slave owners who treated non-whites like animals. You know, like how you consider Hawaiians, since you used an irrelevant topic like Connecticut and its shooting to insult the Hawaiians .... one ... more .... time. How disrepectful of the memory of the 27 who died to use so oppotunistically their deaths to insult other people.
on December 29,2012 | 09:43AM
DiverDave wrote:
Wrong again. Abraham Lincoln stated many times, including his first inaugral address that he had "...no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so." The Civil war was fought to preserve the Union after the Southern States tried to withdrawl. The demise of slavery came about as a side effect years later during the war. However, the war was not fought because of it. I guess they don't teach proper history in Hawaiian Studies do they David Rogers.
on December 29,2012 | 11:21AM
holokanaka wrote:
chief joker jr, finally there is something we agree on. "I guess they don't teach proper history" in Hawaii. they teach that these islands were "annexed" in 1898.
on December 29,2012 | 12:42PM
holokanaka wrote:
oh, and by the way it seems that is where you get your arguing points, the history books. gee, what does that tell you.
on December 29,2012 | 03:07PM
Anonymous wrote:
Where do you get your facts? I know already, from the head victimizers in the sovereignty fringe propaganda machine that spread racial hatred, dissension, and division of unknowing ignorant folks. You are just one of their willing pawns.
on December 30,2012 | 12:44PM
holokanaka wrote:
I get my facts from reading from a few honorable people who have done a lot of research, especially source documents and original Hawaiian writtings which have at last been translated. e.g. Nation Within by Tom Coffman, Aloha Betrayed by Noe Noe Silva, Pehea La E Pono Ai by Lilikala Kameeleihiwa. also work by Dr. Keanu Sai, Hawaiian Kingdom Government and his proceedings in the International Court of Arbitration in the Hague, filings in the U.N. security Councel, U.N. General Counsel, preceedings in the Internation Criminal Court, etc. where do you get your facts. you and others who call me stupid, sovereignty kook, etc don't bother me. it just shows your lack of knowledge in regards to the true legal history of these Islands and your bias.
on December 30,2012 | 01:10PM
holokanaka wrote:
I would certainly recommend these material for anyone who truely want to know the facts.
on December 30,2012 | 01:12PM
DiverDave wrote:
As the above Anonymous said all sovereignty fringe victimizers. How's that felon Sai's case Sai vs Hillary coming along?
on December 31,2012 | 10:24AM
holokanaka wrote:
Sai v Hillary was received by the appeals court over two years ago and still no decision. gee, I wonder why.
on December 31,2012 | 12:45PM
DiverDave wrote:
Because it is kooky?
on December 31,2012 | 09:53PM
holokanaka wrote:
if it is cooky then it should be easy for the court to just dismiss it.
on January 1,2013 | 07:01AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
PERFECT! Then you agree that there is such a thing as a democracy that is NOT "equality for all" such as that of Abraham Lincoln. I am so glad you admit that because you can now admit that Hawai‘i is also a democracy with out equality for all because of the past crimes and abuses against Hawaiians that give rise to today's sociocultural problems for the indigenous population.... that and the second-class status you prefer the Hawaiian language to have.
on December 29,2012 | 01:03PM
DiverDave wrote:
Signing in under different names again David Rogers? It is amazing how far the Hawaii Islands has come, metamorphosed into the most free and democratic of any country on earth. Back in Kamehameha's day if you even looked at him you were killed! The United States had a few kinks too. But look at her today. It just shows that human nature is human nature. Power corrupts absolutely, and we must all remember that WE ARE ALL NATIVES OF THE PLANET EARTH. I could go around spreading hatred because of what dead people may or may not of done to my ancestors. I will tell what some old Chickasaw men told me once, "We would have killed every one of them if we could of. That makes us just as bad as them". And, as Coretta Scott King said, "Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated".
on December 29,2012 | 02:14PM
holokanaka wrote:
WE ARE ALL NATIVES OF THE PLANET EARTH. so what was wrong with these Natives "Hawaiian" being governed by our Constitutional Monarchy. it closely followed the western concept of laws. and by the the way I agree with the old Chickasaw men. I mean, if someone was slaughtering me and my people and trying to steal our land I would kill them too.
on December 29,2012 | 03:04PM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
Terii_Kellii here. This is what I posted under last week's comment. Kenny/Dave has reading comprehension and memory problems. Terii_Kelii wrote: Terii_Kelii here. I am not sure why my posts suddenly are coming up as Anonymous. However, the same happened to you back on June 23rd 2012 when you called Superchase a "dirty diaper dooper baby." Since I am not paranoid like you to think every little thing that happens is some sort of conspiracy theory, I will gladly refrain from berating you about a computer glitch. Why would I? I am nothing like YOU at all. on December 28,2012 | 04:43PM
on December 30,2012 | 07:23AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
Terii_Kelii here - You wanted to know where you said to ditch Hawaiian in favor of other languages. I posted that under last week's column where it is more appropriate. It should be clear for the most part. However, the computers still seem to be acting up. Of course what else would you expect from lackluckster employees at the Star-Advertiser? Their product demonstrates their (lack of) abilities.
on January 1,2013 | 10:24AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
Nope, YOU are wrong. First, slavery was the reason for the Civil War then and we know that because of all the Compromises to balance slave and free states. One the Kansas-Nebraska Act passed it put that balance into question and Northerners who opposed slavery feared the unchecked spread of slavery. Lincoln opposed the spread of slavery into new territories of the US so much that when the Kansas-Nebraska Aat was approved he resolved to become more involved in politics. Although at first he was not resolved to abolish slavery in the south, he DID in fact support that very act once the 13th admendment was proposed and became part of his party's platform. So much for YOUR history books. NEXT, Lincoln never shot anyone in the US Civil War. As I stated "The Americans he ruled killed thousands upon other thousands of (sort of former) Americans....." Americans kllled Americans (sort of Americans) in order to reunite the country, AND that sounds EXACTLY like what Kamehameha I did to unite the archipelago. So what was your point again about him??? Sorry, your left your history in the history books once you put them down. So what about the 27 people in Connecticut who were murdered? You know, the ones you are ignoring in order to spread your irelevant agenda that you started above.
on December 30,2012 | 07:53AM
DiverDave wrote:
I posted a comment but when I checked back it was not there? So, I'll try again.: You are wrong again Mr.Rogers. Abraham Lincoln said many times that if he could save the union and keep slavery he would do it. In his first inaugral address Lincoln said he had "'no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so." The civil war was fought to preserve the Union, not against slavery. The end of slavery was only a side effect of the war, not the reason it was fought.
on December 29,2012 | 11:54AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
Those last two sentences do not explain WHY the southern states left in the first place (ie to protect their low cost slave labor) which is in part the root cause. So, basically what you are saying is that the South left the Union to force it into a war of reunification. Your sense of logic lacks both sense AND logic.
on January 1,2013 | 09:10AM
holokanaka wrote:
konki, you just cannot pass up a chance to criticize Hawaiians, can you. remember guns is what was used to deny a Sovereign Neutral Nation of its Independence.
on December 29,2012 | 01:28PM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
He uses the deaths of 27 people to propogate his own personal agenda. That speaks volumes about what kind of person he is. No respect for dead children to refrain from irrelevant attacks on others.
on December 30,2012 | 08:13AM
Ken_Conklin wrote:
Testing to see if all my new comments are being censored.
on December 29,2012 | 03:24PM
Ken_Conklin wrote:
Well, I see the usual guys are talking bad as usual. But none of them has yet explained what it is that the "Defend Hawaii" T-shirts are urging us to use guns to defend. Anybody want to tell us that? And nobody has bothered to condemn a T-shirt portraying the Kamehameha statue as holding an assault rifle in his outstretched hand. So I guess you guys approve that concept?
on December 29,2012 | 03:25PM
Anonymous wrote:
what happened to my comment?
on December 29,2012 | 03:59PM
Ken_Conklin wrote:
This comment has been deleted.
on December 29,2012 | 04:32PM
holokanaka wrote:
Ouch
on December 29,2012 | 06:58PM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
Terii_Kellii here. 1) Who do you think wrote that? It wasn't me. 2) I am reporting you AGAIN for that, just like how I got your rédnéck çråckér insult deleted from Nov 12, 2011.
on December 30,2012 | 08:11AM
holokanaka wrote:
I wrote that. whats up with this Anonymous thing?
on December 30,2012 | 09:03AM
holokanaka wrote:
just to clarify-I wrote the comment "what happened to my comment?"
on December 30,2012 | 09:22AM
holokanaka wrote:
who said these t-shirts "are urging us to use guns" besides you? maybe it is just pure capitalism, you know using the free market system to make a buck.
on December 29,2012 | 04:17PM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
because your post is off-topic and disrespectful. Furthermore, how dare you come here and post the above comment as if the world OWES you an explanation. We don't. You don't get an explanation, and if you don't like it, then that is YOUR problem. Just sit and suffer.
on January 5,2013 | 09:34AM
holokanaka wrote:
not again. where is my post.
on December 31,2012 | 12:37PM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
Ua kohu like ka mana‘o e kau nei i luna a‘e e pili ana iā Pirisa Molokana me ko‘u mana‘o i ke kolamu o ka lā 10 o Malaki. He kānāwai a he kuleana ko kākou ma ka Pākuʻi Hoʻololi ‘Ekahi, ‘o ia ho‘i hiki ke kūkākūkā a kama‘ilio me ka pāpā ‘ole. ‘O ka mea ‘āpiki na‘e, ‘o ia ka po‘e e like me Mika Mea‘ōhumukipi mā e ho'ā'o nei e ho‘onalonalo i nā leo a lākou e makemake ‘ole ai. Eia ka mea ‘ano ‘ē a ho‘onāukiuki loa- na lākou e ha‘i mau i kā lākou mau hua ‘ōlelo kaulana "Pono ke kaulike no ka po‘e a pau!" ‘oiai lākou e ho'ā'o ana e hō‘ole i ko kākou kuleana e wehewehe aku i ko kākou mau mana‘o pono‘ī. He mea minamina ia ‘ano hūpō. He mea kūpono kekahi e ho‘ohāiki i ka loa‘a o ka pū. He mea waiwai ka pū i ka hoʻomāmalu a me ka hahai i ka holoholona, aka he pono ka pū AK-47 no ke ola????? ‘A‘ole! Eia kekahi, he 26 ka i make i ke kula, a me ka makuahine o ke kāne nāna i ho‘omake aku iā lākou. He 27 ka heluna o nā mea make.
on January 4,2013 | 04:08PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Latest News/Updates
Blogs
Political Radar
Maximum Ige

Political Radar
Maximum Abercrombie

Political Radar
Sally

Political Radar
Chef Chai

Political Radar
Emily’s endorsement

Island Crafters
That “Special” Song

Political Radar
Future majority

Court Sense
Acclimatizing