Quantcast
  

Thursday, April 24, 2014         

KAUAKŪKALAHALE


 Print   Email   Comment | View 73 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

I Ulu I Ke Kumu

For Saturday, March 23, 2013

Na Lia O’Neill Keawe

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 05:16 p.m. HST, Apr 03, 2013



Synopsis: The 2013 I Ulu I Ke Kumu honorees are former U.S. Sen. Daniel Kahikina Akaka, Dr. Kekuni Blaisdell, Eddie and Myrna Kamae and Marvlee Kēhaulani Naukana-Gilding.

———

Aloha mai e nā makamaka heluhelu mai ka puka 'ana mai o ka lā i Ha'eha'e a i kona welo 'ana i ka mole 'olu o Lehua. A mahalo nō ho'i i ke kōmike WINHEC i hele mai e kōkua iā mākou, nā polokalamu o Hawai'inuiākea.

Ua hiki hou mai ka lā e ho'ohanohano ai i nā “kumu” alaka'i o Hawai'i nei. E mālama 'ia ana nō ka 'aha 'aina i kēia ahiahi. 'O ka lima kēia o ka makahiki. A ua pau hou nā pākaukau a me nā noho i ke kū'ai 'ia. He mea maika'i nō ia, no ka mea, 'o kekahi pahu hopu o kēia ho'ohanohano 'ana, 'o ia ka ho'oulu 'ana i ke kālā no nā haumāna e hele ai i ke kula.

'Ehā moho o kēia makahiki nei, a he mau kumu nō lākou e ulu ana nā lālā a nui a ikaika.

Eia nā kumu o kēia makahiki nei:

‘O Kenekoa Kaniela Kahikina Akaka. 'O ka Hawai'i mua kēia i lilo i Kenekoa 'Amelika Hui pū 'ia. I ka makahiki 1976 i ho'omaka ai kona noho 'ana aku ma Wakinekona, 'oiai, ua koho 'ia 'o ia i lunamaka'āinana. He 14 makahiki o kāna hana 'ana ma ke 'ano he lunamaka'āinana. A i ka makahiki 1990, ua ho'okohu 'ia 'o ia i kenekoa. A ma ia kūlana 'o ia i noke ai i ka hana no nā makahiki he 23.

'O Kauka Kekuni Blaisdell. E 'ole 'o Kauka Kekuni Blaisdell, holomua ai ka 'oihana kauka o Hawai'i nei. 'O kā ia nei noi'i 'ana ma ka lapa'au 'ana o ke Kanaka Maoli, 'o ka 'oi nō ia. A na ia nei nō i ho'okumu i ke Kula Lā'au Lapa'au no ke Kanaka Maoli. A mahalo nui 'ia kona paipai 'ana aku i nā haumāna he nui hewahewa e lilo i kauka. Ua hana 'o ia i mea e kū ai ka lapa'au 'ana i ke Kanaka Maoli i ka pono o ke Kanaka Maoli.

'O Eddie lāua 'o Myrna Kamae. Ua kaulana 'o Eddie Kamae i ka haku mele a i kona 'ano pu'ukani a ho'okani pila. A i ka hana pū 'ana me kāna wahine, me Myrna Kamae, ua noke aku lāua i ka mālama 'ana i ka mo'olelo Hawai'i, ka hana a ka po'e kahiko a me nā mele Hawai'i. He 10 a lāua ki'i 'oni'oni hu'e 'oia'i'o i hana ai. A ua kau ia mau ki'i 'oni'oni he 10 i ka hano hāweo.

'O Marvlee Kēhaulani Naukana-Gilding. 'O ka pouhana 'o ia o ka Hālau 'Ike Hawai'i o ke Kulanui o Hawai'i ma Mānoa no nā makahiki he nui. Ua ho'omaka kāna hana ma laila i ka makahiki 1982. A 'oiai 'o ia e hana ana ma laila, komo akula 'o ia i ka polokalamu lae pua, a loa'a pono ka lei o ka lanakila, a ma hope mai o kēlā, ho'omau 'o ia i ka ho'ona'auao 'ana ma ka 'imi 'ana i ke kekelē lae o'o ma ke Kālai Waihona Puke.

'Auhea 'oukou e nā kumu 'ehā, 'a'ole i kana mai ka mahalo o mākou iā 'oukou. 'O 'oukou ka mea e holo ai ka 'ōlelo, “Nāna i waele mua i ke ala, ma hope aku mākou, nā pōki'i.”

Inā he nīnau kāu, a he mana'o paha e ho'ohanohano i kekahi kumu i ulu ai nā lālā o Hawai'i nei, e kāhea aku iā Hawai'inuiākea, ke Kula ‘Ike Hawai'i ma ka helu, 956-0980.

———

This column is coordinated by Kawaihuelani Center for Hawaiian Language at the University of Hawai'i at Mānoa.






 Print   Email   Comment | View 73 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(73)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
Terii_Kelii wrote:
He ‘ōlelo ho‘omaika‘i kēia i nā me‘e ‘ōiwi Hawai‘i !! Mahalo i kā ‘oukou hana.
on March 23,2013 | 03:41AM
Ken_Conklin wrote:
Aia i hea na me'e 'ilikea? 'Oiwi Hawai'i ke koi e komo i loko o "I Ulu I Ke Kumu"? No ke aha?
on March 23,2013 | 06:08AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
He aha nō kā lā ho‘i e hanohano ai ka po‘e haôle i ka polokalamu "I Ulu I Ke Kumu", ‘o ia ho‘i he polokalamu lāhui Hawai‘i? Pehea lā ka "Japanese Cultural Center" ho‘i ???? He wahi hewa anei?? Hakahaka kou po‘o.
on March 23,2013 | 10:47AM
Ken_Conklin wrote:
'A'ole pilikia i ka "Japanese Cultural Center." Aia nui na po'e me ka 'ili kela me keia. Aka, aia po'e Hawai'i 'oiwi wale no i ka polokalamu "I Ulu I Ke Kumu." E ho'ohamama 'oia!
on March 23,2013 | 02:04PM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
He is not writing in Hawaiian because he knows you suck at it. Here are just a few examples of your atrocious (lack of) ability in Hawaiian ----> 'Oiwi Hawai'i ke koi e komo i loko o "I Ulu I Ke Kumu"? Aia nui na po'e me ka 'ili kela me keia. Aka, aia po'e Hawai'i 'oiwi wale no i ka polokalamu "I Ulu I Ke Kumu." E ho'ohamama 'oia! ----> Thanks for saying all that in Hawaiian, though, because what little meaning your words had was completely lost. It is just gibberish like you and your sense of logic. You know, it lacks both sense and logic.
on March 24,2013 | 05:20AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
So, please allow me to draw a picture for you so that even you can understand. I Ulu I Ke Kumu promotes Hawaiians. The Japanese Cultural Center promotes Japanese. You only complain about the Hawaiians because3 you are racist against them. Your words betray you. I also find it fascinatingly wonderful that more people see through you, as noted in the comments under the article about Sam Slom's comments back on Tuesday. You are racist and you should just admit that about yourself. Hiding that fact about yourself only makes yourself a coward who is racist. That is twice as bad.
on March 24,2013 | 12:16PM
DiverDave wrote:
So you would agree then David Rogers that a White Cultural Center should be allowed on U of H campuses to "promote" Whites, and funded with tax payer money too? After all shouldn't everyone deserve to have the same representation in a tax payer funded school?
on March 24,2013 | 01:36PM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
There is a Women's Studies major but no Men's Studies major, AND a Korean Studies Major as well as an Asian Studies major. Yet, you only complain about Hawaiians. What is your point? I mean, besides the fact that you are racist against Hawaiians.
on March 24,2013 | 03:46PM
DiverDave wrote:
You did not answer my question Walter, do you agree that a White Cultural Center should be allowed on U of H campauses to "promote" Whites, and funded by tax payer dollars too?
on March 24,2013 | 09:31PM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
That IS your answer. Read between the lines, if you can. I can explain it to you again. I just cannot understand it for you.
on March 25,2013 | 04:57AM
DiverDave wrote:
You dodge the question. I win.
on March 25,2013 | 05:58AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
There's a Chinese Chamber of Commerce, and the same for Hawaiian, and Japanese. No White Chamber of Commerce. Same reason, Kenny. Find a quarter and buy a clue.
on March 25,2013 | 09:42AM
DiverDave wrote:
One more time for the reading impaired one, David Rogers: Do you agree that a White Cultural Center should be allowed on U of H campuses to "promote" Whites, and funded by tax payer dollars too, just like the Hawaiian Cultural centers are?
on March 25,2013 | 12:26PM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
Not only did I answer the question, I also gave a reason for it. Stop feigning ignorance... oh wait. You are not faking it. never mind.
on March 25,2013 | 09:17PM
DiverDave wrote:
Checkmate!
on March 25,2013 | 09:35PM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
No red diaper dooper baby comment?? That is your usual MO. Women's studies, Asian studies, Korean studies, Hawaiian studies, BUT the only one you complain about is Hawaiian studies. Hakahaka kou po‘o.
on March 26,2013 | 07:08AM
DiverDave wrote:
No I'm asking you not about a major, or a chamber of commerce. I asked a simple yes or no answer question that you have danced around with nonsense as usual. Do you agree that a White Cultural Center should be allowed on U of H campuses to "promote" Whites, and funded by tax payer dollars too, just like the Hawaiian Cultural centers are?
on March 26,2013 | 09:40AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
The Korean studies major is not offered by the Chemistry department, numbnuts, and likewise neither is the Asian Studies major nor the Southeast Asian studies major. They are offered by the CENTER FOR KOREAN STUDIES, CENTER FOR ASIAN STUDIES, AND THE CENTER FOR SOUTHEAST ASIAN STUDIES. However, the Center for Hawaiian Knowledge is the only one you point fingers at. I do not need to ask you why, because the answer is obvious- you are a racist against Hawaiians, Kenny. These are centers for minority studies, and white is not a minority. I answered your question many times, specifically by pointing out that both the public and the university have already answered your question decades before your ridiculous request to me. It does not exist, and there are logical reasons for it. If you want a Center for White Studies, then no one is stopping you from creating one. Go ahead. It would be a redundancy, much like asking a question again after already having received an answer.
on March 26,2013 | 06:30PM
DiverDave wrote:
David Rogers your facts are wrong again. Caucasians are a minority of the student population at the U of H. Asian/Pacific Islanders account for about 47% of students enrolled. Caucasians only account for around 36%.
on March 28,2013 | 10:31AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
It's just another ridiculous and infantile twist that you do, lumping 20 different ethnicities with different cultures and languages into one group, because you obviously see it as white versus everyone else. Yes, another white is right style example of your racism. Nevertheless, you obviously never took Sociology 101, because you do not know a very clear definition of the word "minority': a : a part of a population differing from others in some characteristics and often subjected to differential treatment. That is what you are doing above as a white person. See the posts below 8082062424 as well ....
on March 29,2013 | 05:34AM
DiverDave wrote:
No you are wrong again, Duh. go to the U of H site here. They organized the data this way not me. It is you that hates white people as well as yourself, duh!http://hilo.hawaii.edu/uhh/iro/documents/UHHiloFall03040506070809AdmissionsResidencyProfile.pdf
on March 29,2013 | 09:27AM
DiverDave wrote:
From U of H Manoa website, just for Duh, AKA David Rogers. Student Diversity - Undergraduates •Asian: 40.4 percent •Caucasian: 20.9 percent •Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander: 17.4 percent •Two or more races: 14.2 percent •International: 3.0 percent •Hispanic/Latino: 2.0 percent •American Indian or Alaska Native: 0.3 percent •Black or African American: 1.5 percent •Race and/or ethnicity unknown: 0.2 percent
on March 29,2013 | 09:41AM
DiverDave wrote:
I'll bet dime to a dollar that if questioned 4-5% of the two or more races category would claim some type of Polynesian percentage. This would put the Native Hawaiian percentage over that of caucasian. We should do more to promote attendance by caucasians. Maybe their having trouble "finding themselves" and need "special" programs and grants to encourage more enrollment. Maybe even a Caucasian Cultural Center that helps them develope pride and self esteem in a world that is dominated by so many other ethnicities that are not there own.
on March 29,2013 | 09:57AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
"Maybe" means you do not actually know and you are just guessing. What I DO know without guessing is that you do not know the difference between their there and they're. Sad. Focus on your own ancestral language and stop worrying what others are doing. You won't come across as uneducated then.
on March 30,2013 | 05:36AM
DiverDave wrote:
Once again my truth has trumped your racist lies. Your only defense now is to comment on my misspelling the word "their". Point, set, and match. I win again!
on March 30,2013 | 11:30AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
There is a difference between a misspelling and a misuse, and there is not just one misuse but two. You do not speak English well. It is good you do not really speak Hawaiian or any language for that matter because it is indicative of your true lack of intelligence. Moreover, you make your usual unsubstantiated claims with no backing evidence. Give specifics about how whites are treated differently at UH. You can't, because they are not.
on March 30,2013 | 06:41PM
DiverDave wrote:
LOL.
on March 31,2013 | 10:15PM
8082062424 wrote:
And just who would go to it and what would they teach? im just wondering. On there history part it would be interesting not such a great history. white is a colour not a culture. besides Portuguese and Irish and the Scottish most white folks do not have much of a culture. im just saying
on March 28,2013 | 08:45AM
DiverDave wrote:
And you guys call me a racist! 808 what a bigot you are, saying that "white folks do not have much of a culture". You believe your culture is better than all others. That's cultural elitism that by definition is a racist notion. Poor you.
on March 28,2013 | 09:53AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
I disagree. Culture is everything that is a part of society, not just a group of behaviors or manners or tastes. White culture is the dominant (read majority) culture in Hawaii as well as around the world. English is the dominant language, western (read white western European) clothes are dominant, white and western influenced music, a western style economy, and on and on. It has been that way since the advent of Western European explorers centuries ago. White is the majority culture and KennyKKonklin/DiaperDave will do anything and say anything to make sure it stays that way because he is afraid of a "black planet".
on March 29,2013 | 05:57AM
DiverDave wrote:
So by your own words, ""minority': a : a part of a population differing from others in some characteristics and often subjected to differential treatment". Wow! Sounds like the way the Caucasian students are treated at the U of H, and you condone it using now some abstract nonsense. Who is really biased here?
on March 29,2013 | 11:50AM
DiverDave wrote:
David Rogers= Duh!
on March 29,2013 | 11:55AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
YOU are really biased here. You forget that I was a white student at UH and I was never treated "differently" but I do see how you would not know anything about UH or Hawaii for that matter since you are so focused upon yourself and how great you THINK you are. I graduated from UH 3 times over ten years and I saw nothing of what you say happens, mainly because you were never there. the claims you make are hollow lies with no substance, a bubble of words with nothing more than hot air inside. You post unsubstantiated claims that you can never provide specifics for. That is why talking to you about anything of substance is a waste of time. Your true place is elsewhere. The KKK forum is that way. --->
on March 30,2013 | 07:50PM
DiverDave wrote:
So what are you trying to do? Get a retirement job with the U of H. After all your crazy postings they will never again allow you on their campus!
on March 31,2013 | 10:17PM
8082062424 wrote:
define for me what white culture is. as i said white is a colour not a culture . as i also stated Portuguese have there own culture as do Irish or Scottish . all very different . so what is white culture
on March 28,2013 | 10:11AM
8082062424 wrote:
no way did my comment state my culture is better just we all have our Japanese have there culture Chinese have theres as do Hawaiians along with Samoans and many other races. there nothing wrong with that.
on March 28,2013 | 10:14AM
DiverDave wrote:
There you go trying to do the watusi and dance your way out. It's too late 808, you have exposed yourself and your bigoted mindset.
on March 28,2013 | 10:36AM
8082062424 wrote:
come on now answer the question it a very simple question stop trying to worm your way out of it. what is white culture ?
on March 28,2013 | 10:38AM
8082062424 wrote:
it is you who is doing the watusi and dance your way out.
on March 28,2013 | 10:41AM
holokanaka wrote:
konki, if you want people to read/know about me'e ilikea in these Islands just direct everyone to your blogs.
on March 23,2013 | 02:24PM
Ken_Conklin wrote:
Hey thanks for the invitation holokukae. Here's my website:
http://tinyurl.com/6gkzk

Aka, no ke aha 'a'ole 'oe i kakau i ka 'olelo Hawai'i?


on March 23,2013 | 09:06PM
holokanaka wrote:
been there done that,
on March 24,2013 | 07:43AM
holokanaka wrote:
I do not olelo.
on March 24,2013 | 07:44AM
DiverDave wrote:
Dan Akaka made a career out of divide and conquer politics in these islands. He used the carrot of sovereignty to lead these donkeys to the polls and vote for him time and time again. Now the very people he hoodwinked will being giving him an award for doing it! LOL
on March 23,2013 | 03:55PM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
You characterize people as donkeys. How racist and infantile of you to call people names like that. It is very typical of you.
on March 24,2013 | 12:11PM
DiverDave wrote:
What is the symbol of the democrat party, duh!
on March 24,2013 | 01:09PM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
You called people donkeys, not democrats. What a futile and unintelligent way to cover up your racism.
on March 24,2013 | 03:43PM
DiverDave wrote:
Your problem is that you don't understand what a metaphor is. No one apparently taught you English. I myself thought it was not only a discriptive metaphor, but accurate at the same time.
on March 24,2013 | 09:39PM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
Your problem is that you think that ridiculous metaphor alibi is a good enough excuse to make me and others think that you are not a racist príck.
on March 25,2013 | 04:56AM
DiverDave wrote:
Poor you David Rogers. The only thing you ever do is accuse people of being what you are. Never a factual argument. Just a poor little name caller.
on March 25,2013 | 06:07AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
Yeah thanks for the feigned sympathy. i feel no sympathy for someone for evil, namely you KennyKKonklin/Diaperdave, not even fake sympathy. I would never pretend to feel compassion for someone who deserves to go to hell.
on March 29,2013 | 09:08AM
DiverDave wrote:
Poor little hater David Rogers with nothing to say but more hate speak. Never an original idea, just throwing up at the mouth with racism, and hate.
on March 29,2013 | 12:04PM
DiverDave wrote:
David Rogers, Someone that has nothing to say makes personal attacks when they have nothing constructive to say.
on March 24,2013 | 01:11PM
DiverDave wrote:
Folks, ever notice that the first thing a racist charges others with is racism?
on March 24,2013 | 01:23PM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
Well, well, well! thank you for agreeing with me about your alter ego and you, kennykkonklin! You always scream racism where there is none.
on March 24,2013 | 03:42PM
DiverDave wrote:
Once again you are a liar David Rogers. You know that I and Dr. Conklin are not the same person but you continue with saying we are one in the same. You too are a deceiver. Speak the truth, please!
on March 24,2013 | 09:39PM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
I already did. YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH.
on March 25,2013 | 04:57AM
DiverDave wrote:
As usual your "truth" is a lie.
on March 25,2013 | 06:00AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
Look, Kenny. You hide behind this moniker when you know you are only making yourself look bad. The only use for someone like you is to fertilize a 4'x6' plot of grass. Please, make that happen ASAP. Mahalo. (PS Your Hawaiian is still atrocious.)
on March 25,2013 | 09:45AM
8082062424 wrote:
you do realize you just described yourself
on March 25,2013 | 11:16AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
He is to blind, AND narcissistic, to see it.
on March 26,2013 | 07:01AM
DiverDave wrote:
808's reply was to your awful comment David Rogers. Duh!
on March 26,2013 | 09:43AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
Scroll up and follow how the comments line up. Your stûpiditÿ is showing again.
on March 26,2013 | 06:35PM
8082062424 wrote:
no it was meant for you. you are the poster boy for racism .
on March 28,2013 | 08:40AM
DiverDave wrote:
Oh really, when did I say something racist, or is that what you automatically call everyone that disagrees with you?
on March 28,2013 | 09:45AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
Would you like a top 10 list or all 200 examples? You called people donkeys. That is one. You are a racist.
on March 29,2013 | 09:07AM
DiverDave wrote:
The symbol of the democrat party is a donkey, duh!
on March 24,2013 | 01:02PM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
No. He is too blind, AND too narcissistic, to see it.
on March 26,2013 | 07:06AM
DiverDave wrote:
David Rogers=Duh!
on March 26,2013 | 09:52AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
You need to provide specifics about how "differently" whites are treated at UH. Are they allowed to speak their ancestral language, and do they actually know the difference between their, there, and they're unlike you? Are they allowed to wear traditional white clothes and practice traditional white religion, and are they allowed to buy and sell in a typical white economy, etc.? Of course. Then you are just denying the obvious, like trying to convince others that the sky is not really blue and the grass is not really green. That is why I said two years ago that it is not worth responding to you and your posts with any type of specifics or intellectual discourse. You cannot be educated AND a racist because an educated racist is an inherent contradiction.
on March 30,2013 | 05:43AM
DiverDave wrote:
It's obvious from your sensitivity that you know that the U of H does not treat whites the same as all others. How stupid to talk of clothing. Anyone can wear anything they want. David Rogers=Duh!
on March 30,2013 | 08:23AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
You need to provide specifics about how "differently" whites are treated at UH. Oh you cannot, because they are not. Never mind. You are like Sam Slom, because you point fingers at a broad base of Hawaii's population and when confronted about it, you backtrack and flounder. NO specific evidence to back your claims just means that your claims are nothing more than an inane diatribe. KennyKKonklin/DiaperDave, the self-proclaimed pariah. LAUGH! When are you going to start the creation of your center for white studies??? Oh yeah, that is just more hot air from a do nothing. Hana hou on that never mind.
on March 30,2013 | 06:47PM
DiverDave wrote:
LOL! Rolling on the floor laughing at David Rogers!
on March 31,2013 | 10:26PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Blogs
Political Radar
Phased in

Political Radar
Palolo v. Pauoa

Political Radar
Palolo v. Pauoa

Career Changers
Must Sea TV

Political Radar
HB 1700 — Day 4

Political Radar
Pass

Warrior Beat
Hammer time