Quantcast

Wednesday, July 30, 2014         

KAUAKŪKALAHALE


 Print   Email   Comment | View 21 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Ka Ulu Lauhala O Kona

For Saturday, June 1, 2013

Na Kekeha Solis

POSTED:



Synopsis: Lauhala weaving is going strong, thanks to groups like Ka Ulu Lauhala O Kona and its founder, a master lauhala weaver, Aunty Elizabeth Maluihi Lee.

———

Welina e nā makamaka heluhelu. I kēia mau lā, he nui ka makemake o kākou, e ho'omau i nā hana a nā kūpuna. A e hopohopo ana paha kākou o nalo loa kekahi o ia mau hana. Eia ko 'oukou mea kākau ke ha'i aku nei iā ‘oukou, aia nō ke mau nei ka ulana lauhala 'ana.

I kēlā pule aku nei a i ia pule aku, ua mālama 'ia iho nei ka 'Aha Lauhala o Ka Ulu Lau Hala O Kona. A 'o ka 18 ia o ka makahiki i mālama 'ia aku ai ua 'aha lauhala nei. A he keu aku ia a ka maika'i. He 25 kumu e a'o ana i ka ulana 'ana, a he nui nā mea i ulana 'ia ma laila, 'o ka uluna 'oe, 'o ke 'eke 'oe, 'o ka pāpale 'oe, 'o ka moena a pēlā aku.

Ua ho'omaka ka 'aha i ka Pō'akolu, ka lā 15 o Mei. 'O ia ka lā o nā haumāna i launa pū ai me nā kumu a i ho'omaka ai ho'i i ke a'o 'ana mai i ka ulana 'ana. A i ke ahiahi o ia lā, he 'aha 'aina kahi i pā'ina pū ai nā kānaka a pau i komo i loko o ka hana. I ka Pō'ahā, ka Pō'alima, a me ka Pō'aono, he ulana ka hana me ka lana o ka mana'o e pau pono ana ka mea e ulana 'ia ana i hō'ike'ike aku ai ka haumāna i kāna hana ma ka 'aha 'aina o ke ahiahi Pō'aono, he hō'ike'ike paikini ke 'ano. A 'o ka mea nui, hō'ike'ike ka haumāna i kāna hana, ua pau pono paha, 'a'ole paha. A i ia ahiahi nō ho'i ka hopena o ke kūkālā leo 'ole, he ho'oulu kālā ia no ka mālama 'ana i ka 'aha a me ka hā'awi 'ana i ka pu'u kālā i ke kanaka i lawa 'ole ke kālā. A he nui nā mea nani like 'ole e kūkālā 'ia ana. Akā, 'o kekahi o nā mea hoihoi loa a i lilo i mea kama'ilio nui 'ia, 'o ia kahi pāpale lauhala li'ili'i loa i ulana 'ia e Pohaku Kahoohanohano.

'O kahi pōmaika'i o ko 'oukou mea kākau, 'o ia kona komo 'ana i ka papa a 'Anakē Maluihi. He loea 'o 'Anakē Maluihi ma ka ulana 'ana. Nui kāna mau 'ōlelo waiwai i ha'i mai ai no ka ulana 'ana a no nā mea like 'ole nō ho'i. A ke puapua'i mai ka 'ōlelo makuahine mai ka waha mai o 'Anakē Maluihi, he nani ho'i kau! A nui nā hua 'ōlelo Hawai'i a ko 'oukou mea kākau i a'o mai ai maiā 'Anakē mai, he mau hua 'ōlelo e pili ana i ka ulana lauhala, a he mau hua 'ōlelo nō ho'i e pili ana i nā hana like 'ole.

He keu aku ia o ka 'aha lauhala maika'i. 'A'ole wale nō no ke a'o 'ana i ka ulana 'ana, akā, no ka launa pū 'ana me nā kānaka like 'ole. A no laila, mahalo nui e 'Anakē Maluihi Lee a me ka Papa Ho'okō o Ka Ulu Lauhala O Kona no ka mālama 'ana i ka 'aha lauhala a me ka ho'omau 'ana i ia hana a ko kākou mau kūpuna. Mahalo ho'i iā 'oukou, e nā kumu a'o ulana lauhala, i ke a'o 'ana mai i ka 'ike i pa'a iā 'oukou. A mahalo nō ho'i i nā kānaka i komo aku i loko o ia 'aha.

A 'a'ole i kana mai ka mahalo o ko 'oukou mea kākau iā 'Anakē Pualani Muraki, 'Anakē Barbara Kossow, a me 'Anakē Noho Kahananui i ke kōkua 'ana mai iā māua 'o ka'u wahine ma ke kākau inoa 'ana a me nā mea a pau e komo ai māua i loko o ka 'aha. Nani wale ko māua pōmaika'i iā 'oukou. Aloha nō a hui hou aku kākou i kēia makahiki a'e.

———

This column is coordinated by Kawaihuelani Center for Hawaiian Language at the University of Hawai'i at Mānoa.






 Print   Email   Comment | View 21 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(21)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
Terii_Kelii wrote:
Huli ka lima i lalo, e ola. Huli ka lima i luna, e make.
on June 1,2013 | 02:50AM
Ken_Conklin wrote:
Ma ke kahua pa'ani o Loma i ka wa kahiko: Huli ka manamana lima nui i luna, e ola. Huli ka manamana lima nui i lalo, e make.
on June 1,2013 | 07:28AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
fail. *yawn*
on June 1,2013 | 12:27PM
DiverDave wrote:
Isn't it fantastic that in this Great Country we live in you can practice your language and culture anytime you want?
on June 1,2013 | 07:32PM
holokanaka wrote:
we always have and still do under the Kingdom. by the way joker when did the Blacks get the right to vote in that great country?
on June 1,2013 | 09:41PM
DiverDave wrote:
Moot subject. Today everyone votes, even women that were never allowed to vote in the Kingdom.
on July 2,2013 | 09:03PM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
Most of the indigenous Hawaiians were not allowed to vote yet white foreigners WERE allowed to vote. So your point is moot AND hypocritical. That is especially ridiculous considering you support that kind of voter disenfranchisement.
on July 7,2013 | 04:37PM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
DiverDave = trying to pick a fight..... again. fail. Yawn.
on June 2,2013 | 06:04AM
holokanaka wrote:
truth and facts joker just truth and facts.
on June 2,2013 | 07:21AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
The need to protect indigenous languages is Pacific-wide---> talamua.com/head-of-state-english-threatens-to-usurp-samoan/
on June 2,2013 | 08:38PM
Ken_Conklin wrote:
Shouldn't each person be free to choose what language to speak? If people are voluntarily setting aside Samoan language because they prefer English, who the heck are you to tell them to go back to Samoan! The idea of "protecting" a local language by keeping out a more universal one seems like protecting mom-and-pop stores by prohibiting Sears, Kmart, Walmart etc.; or "protecting" grass shacks by prohibiting houses built from wood or bricks.
on June 2,2013 | 08:59PM
holokanaka wrote:
shouldn't each person chose what nation to belong to? Hawaiians made their choice but of course we all know what happened then don't we konki?
on June 2,2013 | 09:18PM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
That's right, holokanaka. Along with the article's main idea to create a Samoan language commission (like Académie Française), preservation of a language is not banning another, which of course is a crime against humanity like the theft of a nation. That's why it was such a crime against humanity to deny people the freedom of choice to speak Hawaiian at schools. Children were punished for their choice to speak Hawaiian because it was banned by racists. This still goes on today where Spanish speakers are told every day to Speak English! and in Wisconsin, for example, where the Menominee girl was punished for speaking her native language in school just last year.
on June 3,2013 | 03:21AM
Ken_Conklin wrote:
T_K wrote "That's why it was such a crime against humanity to deny people the freedom of choice to speak Hawaiian at schools. Children were punished for their choice to speak Hawaiian. Children were punished for their choice to speak Hawaiian because it was banned by racists." Not a crime at all, and not racist either. Every school decides what language must be spoken in its classes, and all children regardless of race are required to obey the rules. White plantation children from Portugal were forbidden to speak Portuguese in school because the rule said they must speak English. Same for Japanese and Chinese plantation kids. All ethnicities were free to set up their own after school and Saturday academies to perpetuate their own languages and cultures; Japanese earning low wages chose to do that, but Hawaiians who by law earned higher wages chose not to do that.

Do you suppose that if my little girl went to Anuenue Hawaiian language immersion school today and tried to speak her native language (English) in her classes there, she would be allowed to do so? According to T_K analysis it would be a violation of her human rights, and racist, when her teachers and school officials won't let her speak English and punish her for her persistent disobedience.


on June 3,2013 | 09:31AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
It's like shooting fish in a barrel. How incredulously laughable that Kenny sidesteps the blatant denial of freedom of speech by saying that people in the Republic of Hawaii oligarchy could speak languages elsewhere, just not in required government schools that children were legally required to attend. KENNY, voluntary schools are not the same as REQUIRED government schools that children were forced to attend and be beaten for speaking their ancestral language! HEADSLAP! To further his faulty sense of logic, which lacks both sense and logic, he implies that those voluntary language schools were a good thing because they allowed the education in languages other than English and AT THE SAME TIME, he tries to portray a voluntary language school for HAWAIIAN language as bad because it does the exact same thing! Really??? I mean, really! Only YOU, Kenny, would be ignorant enough to send your kid to a language school and tell him not to learn that language that forms the very basis of instruction and curriculum. THAT is the definition of a lack of both sense AND logic. Freedom of choice allows freedom of speech. WhiteIsRight KennyKKonklin knows nothing of history and he knows nothing of civics.
on June 3,2013 | 10:48AM
Ken_Conklin wrote:
T_K says "he tries to portray a voluntary language school for HAWAIIAN language as bad" Wow! Either stupid or a contortionist distortionist. HEADSLAP! I'm saying the Hawaiian language school Anuenue is doing the right thing when it refuses to allow my daughter to speak her native language (English) in that school. I'm saying it's a good thing for a school to have a language of instruction that all children are required to use while in that school. I guess you're too eager to be nasty for you to be able to recognize what I was saying.
on June 3,2013 | 03:32PM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
No, you know when you are caught in your own idiocy that you try in vain to backtrack even though your words that are still above betray you. No one would punish a child for speaking English there because they are not racists like you and your ilk. They encourage the use of Hawaiian not beat the children for speaking English. You have a one track racist mind for even assuming punishment would occur. Again, your kid (Wait. You have kids? Scary thought of the day....) would never make it into Anuenue because the kid would have to speak some Hawaiian already and it would be understood that Hawaiian is the medium of instruction. Thus your brat would either be a willing participant in the school's language or not be enrolled in the first place. derrr
on June 3,2013 | 05:00PM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
Everyone knows that Hawaiian language newspapers, for example, were in existence until the mid 1900's because those newspapers are source documents for historians. That is no secret. So, when the fact is stated that Hawaiian was banned in the Hawaiian islands, the vast majority have the common sense to figure out that it was the school administrations, NOT lawmakers, who banned it because Hawaiian speakers were punished AT GOVERNMENT SCHOOLS. headslap! That is why Haunani-Kay Trask called you a twít all those years ago.
on June 3,2013 | 10:57AM
Ken_Conklin wrote:
There goes Holokukae twisting things again. If there is a nation someone wishes to choose, he should certainly be free to go there provided that that nation will allow him to come in. But if he wants to stay where he is and convert the government into a different one, then of course he can do that either by electing a new government or by staging a revolution to change the government. Hawaii had a revolution back in 1893, when some of the local citizens and local residents rose up against the monarchy and converted it into a republic (7 of the 13 members of the revolution leadership "Committee of Safety" were native-born or naturalized subjects of the Kingdom, and the others were long-term residents who owned homes and businesses in Hawaii). It was still the same independent nation of Hawaii, but with a new government. If some of the people didn't like the new government, they could try to change it or they could go to a different nation to ask for admission. A bunch of ethnic Hawaiians tried to do a counterrevolution in 1895, but they failed. we all have the same decision to make: (1) stay in the nation where we are and if we don't like the government we try to change it by election or revolution; or (2) go somewhere else. We all have that choice.
on June 3,2013 | 09:18AM
Terii_Kelii wrote:
So you admit that over half of the Committee of Thirteen were of foreign origin who should have told themselves that if they hated Hawaii so much, they should have just gone back to where they came from. Thanks for clarifying that, Kenny.
on June 3,2013 | 11:00AM
holokanaka wrote:
konki konki konki here you go again with the same old rubbish-the republic was the sovereign of these Islands, etc. you know for a fact that it was not a "revolution" but in fact a "conspiracy" by ha*le in these Islands and a representative of america -john stevens. I am sure you are very familiar with the true "legal" history of these Islands-Nation Within, Aloha Betrayed, and every step and utterance of Keanu Sai. I especially like the way you phrase ("committee of safety" "were native born or naturalized subjects of the Kingdom") did any of them have Hawaiian blood or were they all ha*le? did you purposely not mention non had Hawaiian blood. as I have said above the Hawaiians made their choice of which Nation they wanted to belong to but their choice was overpowered by by the so called "everyone is created equal hypocracy" of america and their guns. konki, you are not fooling anyone.
on June 3,2013 | 02:13PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Latest News/Updates