Quantcast
  

Wednesday, April 16, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 213 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Carlisle slams Cayetano over planned route of Bus Rapid Transit

By Gordon Y.K. Pang

POSTED:



Mayor Peter Carlisle went on the offensive in the race for Hono­lulu mayor Thursday, criticizing opponent and former Gov. Ben Cayetano for embracing a segment of a Bus Rapid Transit plan Cayetano had dismissed 10 years ago when he was in office.

Former city Managing Director Kirk Caldwell, meanwhile, said both Carlisle and Cayetano are too extreme in their positions and that he offers a middle ground in the heated mass transit debate.

Cayetano, the only one of the three opposed to the city's planned $5.27 billion steel-on-steel rail proj­ect from Kapolei to Ala Moana Center, said in a Star-Advertiser editorial commentary Sunday that he supports a beefed-up version of the BRT plan once espoused by former Mayor Jeremy Harris. Cayetano said, however, he was concerned that the 2003 plan involved using dedicated lanes on Ala Moana and Kapiolani boulevards and that he would prefer looking at using King and Beretania streets instead.

Carlisle, in a news conference at his campaign headquarters Thursday, said Cayetano signed off on the 2003 BRT plan, which specifically ruled out using King and Beretania. "The truth is, Cayetano rejected the very proposal he is now campaigning on, and for good reason," the mayor said. "Small businesses would be hurt, much-needed parking would be taken away and traffic congestion would be much, much worse."

Cayetano, at his own news conference, said the major concern over the use of King and Beretania centered on parking concerns raised by merchants. "Different things" could be done to ease that worry, such as taking away parking lanes only during peak hours. "The thing about the bus is that it's flexible, it can go around things," he said.

HAWAIINEWSNOW VIDEO »
Carlisle, Caldwell assail Cayetano's BRT proposal

Caldwell said he agreed with Carlisle that Cayetano's suggestion of using King and Beretania is unwise. "Can you imagine what the businesses are going to say along there as they lose parking and as they lose access to their stores?" Caldwell also accused Cayetano of delaying his check-off on the BRT plan for months while he was governor while support for then-Mayor Harris' plan waned.

Cayetano said he is not opposed to the concept of a rail line running through Oahu, but he said he believes the current Hono­lulu Authority for Rapid Transit proj­ect should be scrapped because it is too expensive and not analyzed fully. BRT would cost only a fraction of rail, he said.

Caldwell said he supports the rail proj­ect but believes Carlisle has failed as mayor to make changes in response to growing criticism against it. The city could eventually incorporate both rail and BRT, he said.

Carlisle said the city's traffic situation has reached "a tipping point" and that not moving forward with rail now could jeopardize $1.55 billion in Federal Transit Administration money that is expected to help pay the tab. As for Bus Rapid Transit, Carlisle said, "There are places where BRT could work. Hono­lulu is not one of those places."






 Print   Email   Comment | View 213 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(213)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
MalamaKaAina wrote:
Goodbye Peter and take the City Council with you!
on June 8,2012 | 01:54AM
BluesBreaker wrote:
Cayetano is not a serious candidate. Solving Oahu's transportation problems was never his mission. He never had a vision for a better way. Since he started his anit-rail propagand campaign he hasn't championed an alternative plan to replace the rail transit project he wants to stop.. When he was finally asked what he would do, he dusted off a 10-year old plan that has already been partially implemented through express buses, the HOV lane and the Zipper lane. Public opposition already killed the portion he's now proposing, which is only a fig leaf to cover his embarrassing absence of a substantial, credible solution.
on June 8,2012 | 06:01AM
Keith_Rollman wrote:
I tend to agree with BlueBreaker. Ben is just the anti-rail candidate of choice for this cycle. He has no solution to traffic problems, and offering up Jeremy Harris's old BRT plan is ridiculous. At least when they ran Kobayashi the anti's made an effort to promote their EzyWay solution. It was a lousy plan but at least if was a plan. This time they're just mailing it in.
on June 8,2012 | 06:46AM
KeithHaugen wrote:
I think you are right in that Ben Cayetano is the "candidate of choice." He will not only kill the ill-conceived, too-expensive railroad, but he will fix the things that Carlisle and Caldwell have ignored as a temporary mayor and an acting mayor. Ben came to the rescue of the voters, the taxpayers and all who care about restoring some fiscal sanity to City Hall. Ben knows, you and the pro-rail candidates are just guessing.
on June 8,2012 | 07:04AM
Changalang wrote:
' Governor Abercrombie has been a staunch supporter of rail for four decades and fought for Congressional funding for years, but in an interview on Hawaii News Now Sunrise, he raised questions about the project's current form. "The difficulty right now is that the rail that's proposed right now has nothing to do with what was stated before, going to the university, going into Waikiki, the transit-oriented development," says Mr. Abercrombie. The Governor said the contentious debate will be decided when voters choose the next Honolulu mayor. "And then, whatever comes out of that, I'm going to support. We have to have alternative transportation from the west side of the island of Oahu, but what form it's going to take, I think is going to be settled in August with the election." ' (10MAY2012, Hawaii News Now)
on June 8,2012 | 11:08PM
OldDiver wrote:
Ben has no intention of implementing any type of rapid transit plan. The BRT phony plan is being put out there to pretend he is thinking about alternatives. Why would Ben go with the plan that Cliff Slater and Panos Prevedouros called a "Traffic Nightmare". Ben needs to come clean now.
on June 8,2012 | 08:43AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
OldDiver wrote: "Why would Ben go with the plan that Cliff Slater and Panos Prevedouros called a "Traffic Nightmare""

I'm having a little troubles following your thinking here. Are you saying that Dr. Panos Prevedouros and Cliff Slater are experts we should listen to and you value their analysis?

The reason I ask is, they have far worse things to say about the current rail plan than they do about a particular detail of Harris's BRT plan that is NOT part of Ben's plan.
on June 8,2012 | 10:04AM
OldDiver wrote:
Well you shouldn't any trouble understanding this. Cliff and Panos are both for some sort of elevated system to give people an alternative to sitting in traffic. HOT lanes, managed lanes, dedicated bus lanes you name it, they understand an at grade in-town BRT will be a "Traffic Nightmare". BTW, their systems will have price tags in the billions of dollars.
on June 8,2012 | 11:57AM
wiliki wrote:
Elevated vehicle lanes like this need to be bigger than rail lanes. It'll be even worse in terms of size and cost.
on June 8,2012 | 02:53PM
hybrid1 wrote:
Ben knows the BRT (regional and in-town) Plan will cost less than $ 1 Billion as estimated by Parsons shown above, again and again. The FTA estimates the heavy elevated rail will cost $7 Billion and thus has asked Carlisle to put more securities to support rail................Witness---------------Fact: The City is taking $244,000,000.00 from the Handivan and The Bus maintenance fund to spend on building (not maintaining) the train............... Fact: The City is already cutting bus routes and services due to "lack of funds"............. Fact: The rail project is currently trying to raid the City of Honolulu's $450,000,000.00 line of credit intended for sewer repairs
on June 8,2012 | 09:06AM
OldDiver wrote:
FACT: Cliff Slater and Panos Prevedouros in the past have called the Ben's in-town BRT plan a "Traffic Nightmare".
on June 8,2012 | 09:43AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
OldDiver wrote: "FACT: Cliff Slater and Panos Prevedouros in the past have called the Ben's in-town BRT plan a "Traffic Nightmare"."

Actually that is not a "FACT" it's a LIE As you well know, they referring to a part of Harris's plan that it not part of Ben Cayetano's plan. That has been clarified for you many times, and you still insist insist on making the same same false claim.

This can't be a simple mistake on your part and has to be an intention effort to mislead. Posting the same obvious lie over and over doesn't make it true, it just makes you look like a compulsive liar who can't rely on the facts to support his position.
on June 8,2012 | 10:11AM
OldDiver wrote:
No mistake. Ben's in town BRT is what Cliff and Panos called a "Traffic nightmare". Last Sunday Ben announced his plans which callsl for hundreds of buses on both King and Beretania. Sounds like "In Town" to me.
on June 8,2012 | 12:00PM
wiliki wrote:
A bad aspect of Ben's plan is the damage done to a historical part of Honolulu which we should be trying to preserve.....
on June 8,2012 | 02:55PM
Keith_Rollman wrote:
Hybrid, last week you said Ben's BRT plan was $100 million....now is "less than a billion." At the current rate of adjustment it will be around 40 billion by Ausust 11th.
on June 8,2012 | 10:39AM
Kuniarr wrote:
Of course you agree with anything that is for rail.
on June 8,2012 | 12:46PM
wondermn1 wrote:
Blues and Keith_rolly YOUR WHEELS ARE A RUSTING. Your hands will be caught in an empty Money jar as of the August election. Lets just hope the Cement Stations do not take to long to remove and make off shore fish attraction reefs from.
on June 8,2012 | 08:26AM
PCWarrior wrote:
Rollman getting paid to say what he say. Has no credibility. Can't believe HART is paying this guy. The city already got rid of him.HART should tell the public who the paid bloggers are - that's the transparency part Petey.
on June 8,2012 | 10:18AM
Keith_Rollman wrote:
HART is not paying me, and I resigned from my city job at the end of my term. I have a lot more credibility than some nameless turkey hiding behind a screen name throwing out ad hominem attacks because he can't think of anything relevant.
on June 8,2012 | 10:42AM
Kuniarr wrote:
Of course you are a paid blogger.
on June 8,2012 | 12:47PM
Keith_Rollman wrote:
This is good example of what's wrong with anti-rail people. They state, as fact, something they have no way of knowing. Then they call you a liar if you try to tell them the truth. That's why we no longer care what you think, Kuniarr. All along we've been talking to the real people who visit this site with an open mind to read the comments. It's is devastation to your cause that you do what you do....so keep doing it.
on June 8,2012 | 01:58PM
wiliki wrote:
Kunia's lies are the worse kind because they bring grief to innocent residents of the leeward and central Oahu areas.
on June 8,2012 | 02:57PM
Kuniarr wrote:
Wiliki, you try to lead people into believing that rail won't cost them anything because it is paid for by the GET rail surcharge and Fed grants. But then you do not tell them all that after rail is built, train will cost bus riders as well as home owners and renters an arm and a leg because of the mountain of subsidies for rail and the additional bus fleet needed to shuttle people to and from train stations, and funding HART, and rail security. You do not tell bus riders that with rail their bus fare increases from $2.50 one-way and $60 monthly pass to $10.45 one-way and $250 for the monthly pass. And homeowners will see a $2,o00 or more increase in their property tax and renters having their rent doubled all because of Rail.
on June 8,2012 | 07:22PM
Kuniarr wrote:
BluesBreaker, bringing traffic relief on the H1 and in-town traffic is a replacement of Rail. Have you amnesia not to remember that rail is just an "alternative to traffic congestion". Without traffic congestion there is no more need of an "alternative".
on June 8,2012 | 12:45PM
Changalang wrote:
' Carlisle said the city's traffic situation has reached "a tipping point" and that not moving forward with rail now could jeopardize $1.55 billion in Federal Transit Administration money that is expected to help pay the tab. As for Bus Rapid Transit, Carlisle said, "There are places where BRT could work. Hono­lulu is not one of those places." ' . . . There is no Federal money, period. Show us the money otherwise. The $50 billion Transportation Bill initiated last week with OUR Rail money in it will not pass the House. The National GOP will not pass anymore big spending without a budget because it is an election year and they smell blood in the water. BRT is the transportation solution of choice this Millennium. Steel on steel is the choice of the 1800's. The Rail Mafia must be stopped if Oahu taxpayers want to have any remaining quality of life for their keiki's future. Go Ben Go !
on June 8,2012 | 06:22AM
Gary_S wrote:
Chang, if the Transportation Bill doesn't pass the House, then there will not be any money even for BRT. Therefore, Ben, please go back to retirement with your "Old" ideas. With the rail in place the buses would be used as circulators within the communities to bring the rail riders to the rail stations. There could be services every fifteen minutes within each community. This will free up the express buses that rail will replace to service the communities that currently have only bus service only every hour. Everyone WINS! IMUA RAIL!
on June 8,2012 | 07:19AM
Changalang wrote:
Not true; The Legislature simply has to amend the GET tax Rail funding Bill that Oahu already suffers under. With existing funding legislatively matched to pay for BRT, the amended bill would fix Honolulu's sewers and roads and fully fund BRT while the State still gets its existing 10% rake as the processing fee. There is no Democrat in the Legislature that would oppose such a solution, despite the ones PRP thinks it still owns there. Hawaii Carpenter's Union needs the best jobs possible, not the gadoot left overs Rail offers. Carpenters already do all the work stated; but there hasn't been contract allocation since everything is being diverted to HART for Rail to give to mainland construction specialty workers. Ben's plan solves traffic in one year, fixes sewers, and fixes roads while giving more local jobs to local workers. Imua BRT. Time for Oahu to Move Forward with Ben and leave the Rail Mafia to suffer the consequences of failure from their "superiors". We The People deserve better.
on June 8,2012 | 07:47AM
BluesBreaker wrote:
Your approach won't work and it did it would put the city in a deep hole. First, the city will have to pay back the $120 million it has already received from the feds. Then it will have to settle with all the contractors and subs for breaking more than $2 billion in contracts. Then it will have to pay to take down everything that's been build by the time Ben comes into office. Finally, the legislature is not going to change legislation and give a big pot of money to the city. If they do anything, they will use it on their own pet projects and let the city take it in the shorts. That's what they've always done and always will. They only reason they passed the enabling legislation for the tax is because they get to skim 10% off the top.
on June 8,2012 | 08:21AM
wondermn1 wrote:
The reason that BluesBreaker uses above is due to improper due dilligence and the escape clauses that intelligent people would have in place were left out . The reason it was left out was so that the public would have trouble stopping it. FOLLOW THE MONEY TRAIL AND IT STINKS
on June 8,2012 | 08:38AM
Changalang wrote:
It is time the betrayal of We The People via the Broken Public Trust over contract awards is litigated. The people of Oahu deserve justice for the conspiracy of malfeasance. Once the pleas deals start, the rats will start cannibalizing each other for the best deal.
on June 8,2012 | 09:25AM
Keith_Rollman wrote:
Take a break from your "We The People..." fantasy and get a load of the KHON poll on this issue: Which candidate's transit plan are you most in favor of? Carlisle: Rail and other transportation options (60.9%) Caldwell: Build Rail with flexibility (30.2%) Cayetano: No Rail, BRT instead (8.2%) None of the above (0.7%)
on June 8,2012 | 10:59AM
Changalang wrote:
I have to see the quality of the poll to value it. Was it one those internet site polls where everybody e-mails each other to be a multiple internet vote bot? Was it conducted by a reputable firm, instead of being a PRP push poll? The bottom line is that the only poll that matters is the one in August. I can 100% guarantee that I will be fine if Ben wins or if Corruption wins on that day, because it will be the Peoples' Choice. Personally, I have done everything in my manini power to inform everyone as possible about my point of view on things; so I can sleep easy knowing I did everything an individual could do to Save Oahu from the crooks. Either way; mission accomplished. As long as the people get one last fair chance to choose their path. Hopefully, if Rail wins Caldwell will be the victor. No question he ran everything related to the City much better.
on June 8,2012 | 01:44PM
wiliki wrote:
Not surprised with the poll results. People know that traffic is terrible, and Cayetano offers no viable solution.
on June 8,2012 | 03:01PM
Changalang wrote:
It is an khon internet website poll that does not screen out vote bots are people who blank cookies and re-vote. And I know the Machine loves to blast e-mail to get everyone on their network to vote having got similar e-mails in the past. First you guys p1mp a push poll from PRP and their "partner" and now an internet vote bot poll? Man, you guys are desperate. So desperate to decieve WE The People.
on June 8,2012 | 06:46PM
OldDiver wrote:
Carlisle was just repeating what Cliff Slater and Panos Prevedouros said about Harris BRT plan. There is no way for it to work on any street in town without causing a "Traffic Nightmare". Cliff is changing his tune because he knows that Ben is just pretending to push BRT. Ben's plan is to kill rail and do nothing.
on June 8,2012 | 08:48AM
PCWarrior wrote:
The people are going to kill rail. Not Ben. It's what the people want. A government for the people, by the people and of the people. Not the cockroaches trying to get rich by feeding at the public trough of endless money with a ridiculously expensive project that no one will ride.
on June 8,2012 | 10:22AM
Changalang wrote:
Wrong. Ben will get more support from the Legislature and Gov. Abs than the current crooks in Honolulu Hale could ever dream of. An amendment is an easy task that will provide transportation to all of the Legislators constituents. To litigate and prosecute the people who made the imprudent contracts and settle on the contracts will be much cheaper than building a Crazy Train we can't afford to maintain. We can do so much more with Oahu's GET money. Once individuals are fingered, it makes the inappropriate contract decisions easier to get a judgement. I am sure the City's legal representation won't mine making a bunch of legal fees from defendants either. Time for the banksters to go to jail. Remember Broken Trust? You guys aren't more powerful and protected than they were. Better start shredding documents. Taking Rail down and prosecuting malfeasance . EVERYONE WINS ! IMUA BEN ! :)
on June 8,2012 | 09:22AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
"Then it will have to pay to take down everything that's been build by the time Ben comes into office."

Boy, do I have good news for you about that!

The financial wizards at HART have already assured us that it is cheaper to build "Mufi-Henge" and tear it back down than to not start building it right away. You don't think they were wrong do you?
on June 8,2012 | 09:30AM
PCWarrior wrote:
The city has already put itself into a deep hole Blusey. "When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging."
on June 8,2012 | 10:20AM
Gary_S wrote:
Chang, you must be senile. You were saying the Federal money will not be available for the rail; then you say the State Legislature will fund the BRT. The GET tax for Rail should not be used for any other purpose than the Rail; if the Rail is not built, then the money should be returned to the "People" as a tax rebate.
on June 8,2012 | 09:33AM
Changalang wrote:
I think you need to bone up on your reading comprehension skills. You should have stayed in school. There is no Federal money. Both Senators from Hawaii voted against Obama's budget with $250 million dollars devoted to Honolulu Rail. Now, they are trying to p1mp a $50 billion dollar Transportation Bill in the U.S. Senate with the "promised" money for the FFGA in the FTA budget in it. It may not even make it out of one House vs. both because the GOP will not do anything until after the election involving big gov't spending. Yes, they control the U.S. House of Representatives. The State legislature can easily amend the funding Honolulu GET Rail funding Bill to include use of those funds collected to other than Rail transportation and infrastructure repair projects next session. Neil would sign it. Hope that is clear enough for you. It would be on a desk in the fifth floor faster than Blake's civil union protection bill. Legislators have to live with the Broken City left dilapidated like the rest of us.
on June 8,2012 | 10:04AM
aiea7 wrote:
gary s -- you are mostly correct about the get surcharge, and yes, changie is unfortunately senile, that you are 100 % correct. the reason that the state legislature would not amend the original law allowing the counties to assess a get surcharge is because it does not want to set a precedent. the city has its own tax source, property taxes to be used for city services. the state legislature can allow the counties to assess their own get or sales taxes but they are reluctant to. they allowed the counties to assess a get surcharge but it was only for mass transit purposes and no other purposes. so to say that the legislature will easily amend the law is not correct, but as you stated - senile. don't mind changie, he likes to pretend he is a know it all, but he is not and oftentimes put his foot in his big mouth similar to the other antis.
on June 8,2012 | 08:08PM
Changalang wrote:
An amendment is as easy as the winning voters in the Primary all calling their Reps. and Senators before the General vote in November and asking for a public statement on their individual position. Lie-ea7 always gets upset when facts are posted and cited. BRT is mass transit with much greater percentage Federal funding for those programs from the FTA and the amendment to the GET bill will happen. We wipe our bvtts with your useless opinion because it is F0S, as usual. Being Anti-Rail means being Anti-Crook.
on June 8,2012 | 10:14PM
aiea7 wrote:
changie - you are screwy. the legislature will never amend the bill to allow the get funds to be used for other than mass transit. the GET is the exclusive power of the state, but can delegate that power only in special circumstances, and not be be used for general city projects. if rail is defeated, the remaining money will be used to pay off liabilties, etc. and if there is anything left over, the state will take it. the city will not get a cent of any balance, and the surcharge will be cancelled immediately. do you want to bet on this, lets see if you antis have any guts and put your money where your mouth is. i have challenged several antis and they all have ignored me, unwilling to back up their claims, which proves that their claims are all false.
on June 8,2012 | 07:47PM
Changalang wrote:
When you post something in any of these threads, it is automatically rejected as B5. The amendment is a sure thing if Ben wins in August. Perhaps you can get public statements from Oshiro and Ige to back up your impotent and desperate position about the impossibility of the State amending the bill. Your expressed fear and anger about losing the shakedown money if the Crazy Train goes down in August from We The People is embarrassing. Perhaps others have already procured private statements in an election year. :) Marcus is already on public record as stating that House Finance will not extend the funding past the original date. Isn't that why the Rail Mob had to get the Council to grant $450 million secured from the sewer budget to make the FTA happy? Where is the Fed $? Nowhere.
on June 8,2012 | 10:27PM
Changalang wrote:
' Rogers specifically questioned some contingency plans the city has offered as ways to cope with any unexpected cash shortfalls or cost overruns for the rail project. One strategy the city proposed if extra money is needed is to extend the half-percent excise tax that provides most of the funding for the rail project . . . House Finance Chairman Marcus Oshiro said lawmakers always understood the excise tax surcharge for rail would end in 2022, and predicted there would be little support for any request to extend the tax. "It doesn't appear that a proposal like this would go very far" at the Legislature, Oshiro said. Hamayasu stressed that the city believes the financial plan for rail is adequate to pay for the project and that the FTA is raising questions only about what might be done "in the highly unlikely event" that funding for the project is exhausted before construction is complete. "The HART staff has developed those options in its financial plan," Hamayasu wrote ' (06JAN2012, Star Advertiser) More cited facts. :)
on June 8,2012 | 10:50PM
hybrid1 wrote:
"Carlisle said the city's traffic situation has reached "a tipping point" " The tipping point is the three bottlenecks at the H-1 merges for which both Carlisle and Caldwell have offered zero solutions but have no reluctance to spend $6 Billion for a reckless alternative that will NOT serve 94 percent of the population.
on June 8,2012 | 07:38AM
OldDiver wrote:
The real problem to quote Cliff Slater and Panos Prevedouros is when the buses hit town and cause a "Traffic Nightmare". Cliff and Panos opposed any type of town BRT plan. Even they understand it is not doable.
on June 8,2012 | 08:51AM
Keith_Rollman wrote:
Excuse me Malama, but we get to vote first.
on June 8,2012 | 06:39AM
KeithHaugen wrote:
Poor Peter ... doesn't have a clue. VOTE BEN, and dump Council candidates who have no aloha for your mo`opuna.
on June 8,2012 | 07:01AM
hybrid1 wrote:
Caldwell and Carlisle are totally wrong in criticizing the BRT route in town because there is minimal to zero congestion on King and Beretania Streets. The congestion is at the bottlenecks at the H-1 merges (H-1/H-2, Middle street and the pm Halawa merge. ...................Carlisle did not answer questions from the media after his 5 minute news conference yesterday. Caldwell has no plans for downtown........ But the real debate should be focused on : "When will Carlisle/Caldwell provide their plan for traffic relief for the bottlenecks at the H-1 merges????? What's their PLAN???? Nothing in their article on rail on Sunday mentions traffic relief for the 94 percent on Oahu. !!. What's their plan????????................the media should notice that both Carlisle and Caldwell did not provide a traffic solution to this FACT: The city's Alternative Analysis, Table 3-12, shows that the traffic overload at the H-1/H-2 merge, the Middle St merge and the pm Halawa merge will increase by over 500% AFTER the $6 Billion rail cattle cars are operating...Ben's BRT will eliminate the H-1 bottleneck merges for less than $100 million and will scrap the needless $6 Billion Rail..
on June 8,2012 | 07:25AM
PCWarrior wrote:
Excellent point hybrid.
on June 8,2012 | 10:23AM
wondermn1 wrote:
MalamaKaAina, We the public totally agree with you. Spot on post GO BEN GO
on June 8,2012 | 08:12AM
wondermn1 wrote:
Excellent video please paste and watch it all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MdTNd1VRZ0
on June 8,2012 | 09:01AM
what wrote:
Cayetano is a wise politician. Sometimes you have to embrace what was a less than ideal option in the past, when an even more colossally stupid and expensive idea is coming to life and endangering the welfare of the city.
on June 8,2012 | 01:58AM
false wrote:
Polling is open in August.
on June 8,2012 | 02:11AM
BluesBreaker wrote:
You go it half right. He's a politician.
on June 8,2012 | 06:05AM
Changalang wrote:
Better than a hard nose bought and paid for puppet stooge with a one track mind to bolster his retirement plan at the expense of the people he has sworn to serve; not rob blind. We The People do not trust your boss anymore. Deeds speak volumes vs. words.
on June 8,2012 | 06:25AM
Keith_Rollman wrote:
I agree with your last sentence; and only your last sentence. Honolulu's voters need to do a little homework on Cayetano' "deeds," to see if they match his "words." You pompously pronounce...."We The People do not trust...." Take the time to educate yourselves about Cayetano's long and very public history as a "good old boy," with the Democratic Party and his thirty-something years of feeding at the public trough before you so cavalierly award your "trust."
on June 8,2012 | 06:52AM
Changalang wrote:
Cayetano is coming out of retirement because the levels of corruption in City gov't regarding the Rail contracts far exceed whatever existed before in Hawaii history and will break the taxpayer in two without offering the promised transportation solution that Rail started out as. What Rail started as and what the monster it has turned into is two different animals. I tend to agree with Neil, Mufi, and Kirk that the Rail envisioned is far from the current project that is being built. No Federal funding, an unacceptable route, and a cost tripling does not far well on the record of deeds and words.
on June 8,2012 | 07:21AM
OldDiver wrote:
Interesting comment Changalang. Ben is coming out of retirement because current levels of corruption have exceeded the political corruption of his own administration. Interesting thought.
on June 8,2012 | 08:53AM
wondermn1 wrote:
watch video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MdTNd1VRZ0
on June 8,2012 | 09:03AM
Changalang wrote:
There is baseline corruption that Ben pursued as Governor more so than any other public official in Hawaii history, and he successfully took down Bishop Estate improprieties via Broken Trust, and there is the kind of rampant corruption and raping of the public trust that only a proven and principled ex-Governor can deal with. Isn't that why you guys are running scared and trying all forms of intimidation including gunshots into supporter's properties of Cayetano? The fact is that Ben scares the crooks. Having no respect for the masses often does not turn out well. Imagine a cockroach being devoured by an angry community of ants in a very public display of justice. Perhaps you should get out while you can.
on June 8,2012 | 09:34AM
OldDiver wrote:
I see your point. The crooks were scared of the bigger crook Ben Cayetano. Makes sense.
on June 8,2012 | 09:45AM
Changalang wrote:
Actually, the crooks were busted by Ben Cayetano, champion of justice; which is why the current Rail mob crooks are quaking in their boots considering that they may not have political cover from co-conspirators elected into office originally to protect the people, instead of bad faith contracts for the connected.
on June 8,2012 | 10:08AM
Keith_Rollman wrote:
Ben hates being number two.
on June 8,2012 | 11:04AM
Changalang wrote:
Yet, number 2 is all the Pro-Rail bloggers have to offer to the thinking public. I hope the election wipes it all away.
on June 8,2012 | 01:49PM
aiea7 wrote:
changie - if you have real knowledge of corruption, please bring them out, and not make false and unsupported accusations. you might be charge with malfeasance if you continue you baseless accusations. ben is no stranger to corruption. in fact the reason he is doing this is because he wants to get some of the action that the BRT might throw his way, by steering construction contracts to his contractor friends like he did when he was gov. this bird is no angel, he throws the dice better than most.
on June 8,2012 | 08:14PM
Changalang wrote:
(yawn)
on June 8,2012 | 10:59PM
hybrid1 wrote:
Ben: • Pushed through one of the biggest state personal income tax reductions in the nation at the time • Reduced the size and growth of state government to less than the inflation rate • Established the Hawai‘i Tourism Authority • Implemented civil service reform • Built a record number of public schools • Built a record number of homes for Native Hawaiian homesteaders • Developed the Hawai‘i Convention Center to boost tourism • Started the Hawai‘i State Art Museum • Began construction of the new John A. Burns School of Medicine and research center for the University of Hawai‘i • Kept his promise to make public education his highest priority by sparing schools from budget cuts at the expense of other state departments • Ordered the State Attorney General to investigate the Bishop Estate, an $11 billion trust fund set up for the benefit and education of Hawaiian children • When Hawaii’s economy rebounded in 1999, Ben promoted growth in new areas to further diversify the economy • Created the nation’s first state-funded after-school Plus (A )in 1989.
on June 8,2012 | 07:46AM
Changalang wrote:
Ben is the ONLY Hawaii politician that has demonstrating staring down corruption. Bishop Estate was the Rail of the past. Thanks to Ben via Broken Trust, it is much better now. The Corruption of Hnolulu Hale must be made better by Ben, also. Only Ben can do it.
on June 8,2012 | 08:00AM
OldDiver wrote:
Ben stared down corruption and took a slice of it for himself.
on June 8,2012 | 08:54AM
Changalang wrote:
Only in scalps via Court action. Ready for a Sioux Nation style haircut? It will be a new fashion statement at Honolulu Hale. :)
on June 8,2012 | 09:39AM
Keith_Rollman wrote:
The crooked Bishop Estate Trustees where Ben's friends. They were taken down by a group of journalists who outed the corruption in a series called "Broken Trust." Ben didn't write it. Ben just didn't intervene and rescue his buddies, that;s hardly "staring down corruption,"
on June 8,2012 | 11:07AM
Changalang wrote:
Umm, Roth, Heen, and Ben are together again fighting Rail corruption. Are you just reading your own revised history textbook? Perhaps someone will dig up evidence that Ben order his Attorney General, Margery Bronster to go get 'um. Payback was that she was not allowed to be re-affirmed by the Senate. Judge King would be proud.
on June 8,2012 | 02:00PM
Changalang wrote:
I'll do it . . . ' During meetings with Cayetano in which Bishop Estate or the Office of Hawaiian Affairs has been discussed, Bronster wanted Anzai to leave. Cayetano agreed. Anzai, an attorney, has worked OHA; and his wife, attorney Lyn Anzai has worked for Bishop Estate. Moreover, Anzai is also a close friend of OHA chairman Clayton Hee. Bronster is "probably right" in seeking to ensure that he is not involved or present for estate and OHA discussions, but it does make him feel that he can't be trusted, says Anzai, who has been outspoken as to what needs to be done to ease the state's budget crunch. Anzai and Bronster also fought over who has the authority to select bond counsel. Anzai thought that since his office issues the bonds, he should be responsible. But Bronster noted that state law says the attorney general has that authority. "She won," Anzai acknowledges. Bronster, Anzai says, can be impatient and does not gladly tolerate fools. "Marj," Cayetano says, "tends to be a real stickler for detail. And sometimes people say she micromanages. But overall I think she has done an outstanding job." ' (Star Bulletin, archives) ... Ben stands for principle, even if he has to oppose deep friendships.
on June 8,2012 | 02:05PM
Changalang wrote:
LOL. Spinning a square peg in a round hole. As usual, it isn't moving.
on June 8,2012 | 10:31PM
goinglobal wrote:
So what you are really saying is that Ben caused a teachers strike. How exactly did he save schools from budget cuts when they all closed for 20 days...Yea A State funded give away...Lets not forget that he also raided the monies for sewer repair that he now says he wants to raid the rail to fix what he put off when he was in office as Gov...
on June 8,2012 | 07:41PM
wondermn1 wrote:
IRT Keith_Rollman, Your posts are useless now that we know you were a MUFI cronie and ionvolved with shoving the RAIL down our throats from day 1 please go away and let those that do not have a financial interest in the Monster CHOO CHOO use the blogs. YOUR HAND IN THE $$ BS I APPARENT
on June 8,2012 | 08:31AM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
Bob Wiesel is not amused.
on June 8,2012 | 10:31AM
Keith_Rollman wrote:
I'm not going anywhere, my little trolls.
on June 8,2012 | 11:09AM
KeithHaugen wrote:
Well put. Carlisle is and Caldwell would endanger the welfare of Honolulu City & County and all of us who call O`ahu home.
on June 8,2012 | 07:05AM
hybrid1 wrote:
King and Beretania has five lanes one-way and has over twice the traffic capacity of two way streets. Governor Ben's plan to eliminate on-street parkingon King/Beretania ONLY during peak hour is a brilliant/logical suggestion. Also Ben's suggestion to use freeway shoulder lanes is good...the shoulder lane is used in the Pearl City-Aiea today which works. ...Seems like only Ben is offering solutions to the city's traffic congestion while Carlisle/Caldwell offer none.
on June 8,2012 | 07:45AM
false wrote:
As for Bus Rapid Transit, Carlisle said, "There are places where BRT could work. Hono­lulu is not one of those places."

Translation as I think meant by Peter: "There are places where Cayetano could run for office, however I was hoping Cayetano would not challenge my office."

By the way, we already had the HRT, The Honolulu Rapid Transit, which was replaced by the MTL, Mass Transit Lines in 1971.


on June 8,2012 | 02:10AM
false wrote:
BluesBreaker is not a serious BLOGGER. Solving Oahu's transportation problems was never his mission. He never had a vision for a better way. Since he started his PRO-RAIL propaganda campaign he hasn't championed an alternative plan TO STOP ALL THE CHANGE ORDERS THAT HAVE STARTED.

When he was finally asked what he would do, HE KEPT ON BLOGGING THAT WE CAN PAY FOR IT. Public opposition already killed HIS BLOGS, which is only a fig leaf to cover his embarrassing absence of a substantial, credible solution.


on June 8,2012 | 09:09AM
false wrote:
Hey u replying to yourself?
on June 8,2012 | 09:24AM
false wrote:
No I am the other guy/gal.
on June 8,2012 | 09:25AM
false wrote:
Stop questioning the methods of HSA !!!
on June 8,2012 | 09:25AM
false wrote:
Ok Ok u guys win. I know when u guys did your Editing job.
on June 8,2012 | 09:26AM
false wrote:
Shut up !!!
on June 8,2012 | 09:27AM
false wrote:
Ha !!!! I got the last word.
on June 8,2012 | 09:28AM
Keith_Rollman wrote:
So, you really think that Honolulu's transportation problems will be solved by "serious" (yet nameless) bloggers? Don't hold your breath.
on June 8,2012 | 02:09PM
Kuniarr wrote:
There are two persons with the username of "false". One is a pro-rail "false" and the other is an anti-rail "false".
on June 8,2012 | 09:41AM
peanutgallery wrote:
Peter is terrified that dipping his beak, is about to come to an end.
on June 8,2012 | 02:33AM
Changalang wrote:
Time to consider a re-do on those retirement options.
on June 8,2012 | 06:26AM
false wrote:
Peter Pan has lots of money, unless he spent it all at Aloha Stadium watching the BYU game.
on June 8,2012 | 09:12AM
Changalang wrote:
I think he will fly after the August election. He is not from Hawaii as indicated by his Mainland style of management and nobody will touch him after the Primary. His future looks rather dim except for that toxic radioactive glow of his legacy and career.
on June 8,2012 | 09:43AM
Keith_Rollman wrote:
Any proof on the "dipping his beak" charge? Or...just more demonizing slander babble?
on June 8,2012 | 06:53AM
KeithHaugen wrote:
Why else would Carlisle support the rail project?
on June 8,2012 | 07:06AM
Keith_Rollman wrote:
Maybe he thinks it's a good idea.
on June 8,2012 | 11:29AM
PCWarrior wrote:
You never demonize anyone Mr. Rollman.
on June 8,2012 | 10:25AM
Keith_Rollman wrote:
I never said anything that wasn't, to the best of my knowledge, true. Sometime the truth hurts, but DEMONIZING....please...that's your department. You need to just let it all out like your buddy, Wasdat, below....
on June 8,2012 | 11:12AM
Wazdat wrote:
CarLIAR you are such a DONKEY and offer NO solution to the traffic mess we are in. RAIL is NOT the solution and you know it.
on June 8,2012 | 03:07AM
BluesBreaker wrote:
Traffic congestion would be worse after Cayetano's BRT solution was were implemented. It would be much worse than after the rail project is complete. And there would be no quick, congestion-free, reliable alternative that will get you to your destination in the same amount of time, every time, at an affordable fare.
on June 8,2012 | 06:13AM
Wazdat wrote:
keep dreaming, Rail is NOT the answer
on June 8,2012 | 06:17AM
hybrid1 wrote:
; Ben's regional BRT would cost less than $100 million, will eliminate the H-1 major bottlenecks and carry 22,000 pax per peak hour compared with only 4,000 standees pax per hour on the $6 Billion Rail which will worsen the H-1 bottlenecks. Rail will take 15 years while the BRT can be done inside of one year on mostly existing zipper lanes and streets. The BRT will remove 8,300 vehicles off of the freeways (4 full lanes) and eliminate the H-1 bottlenecks while the $6 Billion rail will worsen the bottleneck congestion by over 500%. ............. Also, someone wrote: Yes, Mayor Cayetano will add on to our award winning bus system that is all ready paid for and operating. It doesn't need an additional lane, the zipper lane is all ready in place and will work well for a BRT system. Also, buses will pick people up in their neighborhoods instead of having to drive or bus to the train station. And we won't have to wait 20 years for it to be built. Rail is dead.
on June 8,2012 | 07:49AM
BluesBreaker wrote:
You don't know how much Ben's BRT would cost and neither does Ben. All he has is an old EIS for a system that was never fully implemented. No analysis, modeling or studies have been done on his proposal, which still lacks considerable detail. You are simply making up numbers in your comment: First, you have the cost of rail wrong. It will mitigate traffic congestion in the future, not worsen H-1 bottlenecks (this is demonstrated in the EIS). You have no evidence whatsoever for your claim. I defy you to point to a viable study that concludes BRT will remove 8,000 vehicles from the freeway. We already know from the FEIS that rail will remove 40,000 car trips daily. Think about it. To carry the same number of passengers as rail, BRT will require hundreds more buses. How is add hundreds of buses to our streets and highways, while taking off fewer cars than rail, going to help traffic congestion. It won't.
on June 8,2012 | 08:13AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
That's the great thing about P B Americas. If you pay them enough, they'll give you the answer you want.
on June 8,2012 | 08:35AM
OldDiver wrote:
hybrid1................you fully understand that Ben is not pushing a regional BRT. Ben is pushing the town BRT plan which Cliff Slater and Panos Prevedouros called a "Traffic Nightmare".
on June 8,2012 | 08:55AM
Keith_Rollman wrote:
More demonizing babble. Calling people names from the safety of a fake name says more about the quality of the anti-rail activists than it does the target or their insults.
on June 8,2012 | 06:56AM
KeithHaugen wrote:
You say that when you use your real name, but how about your posts under an alias?
on June 8,2012 | 07:07AM
Keith_Rollman wrote:
I haven't used one for years in these blogs. Do you have an example you'd like to discuss?
on June 8,2012 | 11:31AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
You know who was really bad about that? Bob Weisel. That guy was vicious, but at least he had the courage to use his own name. He reminded me a lot of Keith Rollman. I wonder what ever happened to him?
on June 8,2012 | 08:39AM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
His political judgment was weighed and found lacking. He became an outcast and now spends his days writing one line slurs in the local paper. At least that is what I heard. But who knows?
on June 8,2012 | 10:29AM
Keith_Rollman wrote:
You clearly have no idea what your talking about.
on June 8,2012 | 11:42AM
Keith_Rollman wrote:
Do have somehting specific, if not, an unnamed troll's hearsay recollection about what another blog screen name may, or may not, have said, and that trolls's opinion of the tone of the alleged statement, hardly merits a response.
on June 8,2012 | 11:39AM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
Must have touched a nerve. A Wiesel nerve.
on June 8,2012 | 12:52PM
PCWarrior wrote:
Rollman throws his name out like it means something. All it means to me is he's the guy who the city no longer wants on their team and that he gets paid to say what he says. He has no credibility is in fact a liability to the pro-rail movement, like that angry lady on the I Mua rail commercial.
on June 8,2012 | 10:27AM
Keith_Rollman wrote:
I use my own name because I"m not a cowardly troll.
on June 8,2012 | 11:35AM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
...said Bob Wiesel.
on June 8,2012 | 12:52PM
Wazdat wrote:
sorry but DONKEY is what I think of CarLIAR and most of the elected leaders of this state.
on June 8,2012 | 02:00PM
control wrote:
There's that word 'solution' again. I'm still waiting for any anti-railer to identify just ONE place on the planet that solved their traffic problems. Bottom line, there is no magic solution. More roads and more cars only contribute to the problem.
on June 8,2012 | 07:39AM
DPK wrote:
How expensive would it be for the city to build off street parking lots off King and Beretania? Probably not as much as $5 billion single line rail system. GO BEN GO!
on June 8,2012 | 03:09AM
LittleEarl_01 wrote:
Carlisle continues to put forth the possible loss of $1.55 billion in Federal Transit Administration money. That's "chump change" conpared to the overall cost of the project and the annual operating expenses. Besides that $1.55 billion is not Federal money, it's taxpayers money, yours and mine along with every other taxpaying citizen in the country. Face it, no one, from the Mayor, former governor or Caldwell really have an answer to our traffic congestion now, or in the future. Seems like most people have forgotten, "do we need it (YES), can we afford it (NO), can we maintain it (NO).
on June 8,2012 | 03:49AM
bender wrote:
I think the answer to "do we need it" is (perhaps).
on June 8,2012 | 05:42AM
BluesBreaker wrote:
Do we need it? Yes! It's the best option to our current traffic mess, which is going to get worse regardless of which mass transit system is used (only rail will mitigate it more effectively than other alternatives). Can we afford it? Absolutely. We've already collected more than 25% of the necessary revenue. Residents directly pay for less than half the cost, after the federal portion and the tourists portion of the GET is deducted. The project is ahead on revenue projections and below budget on costs. Can we maintain it? The FTA has very strict requirements for maintenance with which the City must comply. And the maintenance and operating costs are a fraction of what it would cost to increase the bus service to carry the same number of passengers.
on June 8,2012 | 06:20AM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
Heh. Even the guys who went approve the Koa Ridge development said "build a road" when asked how to mitigate traffic congestion.
on June 8,2012 | 10:27AM
hybrid1 wrote:
Earl - We do have a low-cost solution to traffic congestion. Near term -The mayor can easily eliminate the three H-1 bottlenecks by using 200 express buses per rush hour from new bus transit centers to be located at 15 villages/towns in Leeward Oahu which would travel at 55 mph non-stop via the zipper lanes on both H-1 and Nimitz highway to downtown Honolulu (buses only) Hotel ST. ...... The Zipper lane has a capacity of 2,000 vehicles per hour which can easily accommodate 200 buses and HOV3 vehicles........ 200 express buses will carry 10,000 seated commuters per hour which will eliminate 8,300 cars per hour off of the freeway (four full lanes).. Removing 8,000 vehicles per hour on H-1 will essentially eliminate the bottlenecks at the 3 H-1 merges (H-1/H-2; Middle St; and Halawa merge). ...... The expanded bus system can be implemented almost overnight by using the buses from the city's inventory of 500 buses and from private bus companies. New buses can be purchased with 80% fed funding. ..........The long term, low cost traffic solution is to provide bypass routes for the Middle St and H-1/H-2 bottlenecks. The cost for the Kam and Nimitz Flyovers is estimated at less than $1 Billion which would be funded by FHWA (80 percent - $800 million) and Honolulu (20 percent- $200 million). FHWA typically funds 80 percent of highway projects like H-1, H-2, H-3. The Flyovers will carry 22,000 commuters per hour compared with only 4,000 commuters (70% standees) per hour for the $6 Billion Rail. ..
on June 8,2012 | 08:27AM
loquaciousone wrote:
Is Pete back from vacation yet?
on June 8,2012 | 04:07AM
dhclinton wrote:
no. he called this one in. hes scheduled to back late june.
on June 8,2012 | 06:08AM
hybrid1 wrote:
Pete was at the his media news conference yesterday but refused to answer reporters' numerous questions....so the answer is NO, Pete is NOT back from vacation.
on June 8,2012 | 08:30AM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
Not sure, I'd call the Wifey but I think she's travelling along as First Lady of Honolulu at taxpayer expense.
on June 8,2012 | 10:26AM
soshaljustic wrote:
Lousy Politicians that pledge allegiance and humble themselves before the "Host Culture" have always readily availed themselves of the fruits of pillaging and scarring the land of the totemic Cultural Ancestors of my bloodline. Pete, the City and County legislative body, Senators, Congressional Reps. are no different. How many are waiting in the wings with hands outstretched for their share of benefits on this Colonial theft of more land the taxpayer is paying for, while bull-dozing over Ancestral Burials? The 21st Century US government of Hawaii is still trying to decide if the totemic burials of an Ancient Peoples can be further degraded and disregarded, mere "savages" the previous owners, no need pay attention to those bones of previous land owners? Does the US have most of Hawaii in it's greedy grasp, to disengage itself from the indigenous people as myself-We no longer matter, are just an icon of tourist values? Petey, the City and County, the State, the Feds now gleefully serenading around and high-fiving each other on the full coup, from imprisonment of a Queen, down to relegation of ancient burials moot, we Hawaiian blooded, elderly, disabled, poor-ALL RELICS of an ANCIENT PAST, amid WAR on a land and her people that "never" occurred, blurred and marred by the WHITE_WASH of Historical accounts of other events, the raping and pillaging of a PEOPLEs and their LAND!
on June 8,2012 | 04:52AM
hybrid1 wrote:
“Before Ben got into this mayor’s race, Peter did not care about the rail. He let Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation Interim Director Toru Hamayasu run the project. When Hamayasu authorized a $15 million change order, he never told the administration about it. We all learned about it when Kevin Dayton wrote the article about it in the Star Advertiser. And when the city managing director Doug Chin waved the 20 percent debt ceiling for rail, Carlisle never knew about it. So who is the enemy of misinformation?” ...........Carlisle told the workers: “We need you not only to be the army that builds this project, we need you to be the army that sells this project to everybody you know.".................... Carlisle added: "If we have that kind of army, that will defeat the enemy in a heartbeat.” ...........Was he calling Cayetano “the enemy” or were all rail opponents tagged with that label?.............. Carlisle is “prone to making stupid statements,” Cayetano said. Ben added the rail project has already been sold to the public with the help of $5 million in taxpayer money, 10 public relations firms hired on the taxpayers dime
on June 8,2012 | 08:58AM
bumba wrote:
Slam all you want, but be careful, you're slamming the next mayor.
on June 8,2012 | 04:57AM
Wahiawamauka wrote:
If we elect Carlisle or Caldwell we deserve every huge tax increase in the future to keep the rail going. Everyone hear the media blitz in favor of the rail lately? The same B.S. tactic that they used before the last election to get the dummies out there to vote for rail. Wake up people and stop these crooks!
on June 8,2012 | 05:30AM
Changalang wrote:
Imua We The People; stop the Rail Mob. Four years later they have spent hundreds of millions of OUR dollars to grease their friends with nothing to show for it but several concrete stakes into the Aina illustrating the sick joke that they are giving We The People the finger. We can still do something about it. Do not stay the course. Choose smart over corruption; choose Ben in August. It is your last chance people.
on June 8,2012 | 06:31AM
Keith_Rollman wrote:
"Choose smart over corruption, choose Ben..." Really? Over $500,000 in illegal campaign contributions and you think Ben's the answer to "corruption?"
on June 8,2012 | 06:58AM
Changalang wrote:
Hawaii Campaign Spending Commission has a different take on that; which is why you are not getting any traction on it. If you think Ben was corrupt, then what does it say when he has to come out of retirement to stop levels of corruption that far exceed anything that he considers palatable?
on June 8,2012 | 07:24AM
Keith_Rollman wrote:
They may have a different angle in their responsibility to collect, but I assure you we are all in complete agreement Ben took a lot of illegal contributions. They are fully documented: http://www.hawaiireporter.com/hawaii-politicians-received-2-2-million-in-illegal-campaign-contributions/123
on June 8,2012 | 11:16AM
Changalang wrote:
From your article. . . ' “We were advised by the attorney general in 2006 that we could not go after the escheats to the state after these candidates close their campaigns, because these are not fines,” Kam said. “Keep in mind, the contributors have already been fined, that is where the penalty comes in." ' (24APR2012, Hawaii Reporter) So basically your evidence that Malia's headline contradicts the AG's directive on the matter from the body of the article. Important to note, that that was Lingle's AG who made the "LEGAL" interpretation of events. Hawaii Campaign Spending's Kam says the event ended when the donors were fined. Nothing else to follow by Law. Rail folks fuzzy definition of legal & illegal seems to be a constant; perhaps even the source of HART's malfeasance on bad faith deals.
on June 8,2012 | 02:15PM
Keith_Rollman wrote:
The event ended when Cayetano bankrupted his political committee and retired. According to Kam, whom I'm met with, the fact that he has re-entered the state jurisdiction as a new candidate is unprecedented. So, there was no ruling by Lingle's AG or anyone else on this current situation, because it has never happened before. I would like to see Common Cause or some other neutral entity test the law and force Campaign Spending to make a ruling. If they refuse...take them to court.
on June 8,2012 | 02:41PM
Changalang wrote:
I think you better shift to Plan B, dude. This is just not getting any traction; and exoneration via the State AG, who could by no means be construed as a political ally, pretty much makes it look to the general public to be an attempted slime attack. That equates to more votes for Ben.
on June 8,2012 | 05:38PM
hybrid1 wrote:
Rollman is very afraid he will lose his job with carlisle and the pri-rail developers. Simple as that.
on June 8,2012 | 08:39AM
Keith_Rollman wrote:
Except I have neither of those "jobs."
on June 8,2012 | 11:48AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
' Over $500,000 in illegal campaign contributions and you think Ben's the answer to "corruption?" '

Yesterday even aiea7 agreed that Ben didn't break the law. If you know anything about aiea7, including that he is rabidly pro-rail, then you also know that of all of us, he should have the firmest grasp of what is legal vs illegal in this case.
on June 8,2012 | 09:36AM
Changalang wrote:
The smear is getting Ben more votes.
on June 8,2012 | 09:45AM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
Exactly right. Rollman was so disgraced, and his reputation so tarnished, by that whole Mufi debacle and the panty-fight with Ryan that anything he says back fires. His political acumen was judged and found lacking. "Radioactive" is what the political heavyweights say. The Bob Wiesel effect.
on June 8,2012 | 10:24AM
Keith_Rollman wrote:
If you have something specific you'd like to share put it on the table. I didn't even have a paying roll with Hannemann in 2008, and the "panty fight" you referred to involved Ryan forging my name on a mass email, which eventually involved a criminal investigation that led right to his computer. How either of those non-events "disgraced" or "tarnished" is open to debate. You would be well advised to get your facts straight before you engage in attempted to disparage someone's reputation,
on June 8,2012 | 11:26AM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
No disparagement Wiesel. I report , they decide. Google this: "Keith Rollman and Bob Wiesel"read the many reports, make up your own minds folks. You're not denying you are Bob Wiesel are you?
on June 8,2012 | 12:54PM
Keith_Rollman wrote:
I was one of many. That screen name has been in play since the '90's.
on June 8,2012 | 02:43PM
Keith_Rollman wrote:
Actually it's not a "smear" it's a fact, and Ben is sinking like a rock.
on June 8,2012 | 11:18AM
Keith_Rollman wrote:
Actually it was Hannemann's 2010 governor's race I was not professionally involved with. I agency handled his 2004 and 2008 Mayoral campaigns.
on June 8,2012 | 11:27AM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Whatever . Sure. It's fine. Relax.
on June 8,2012 | 12:55PM
Wazdat wrote:
oh great so you too are a DONKEY
on June 8,2012 | 02:02PM
Kuniarr wrote:
Not true. The Keith_Rollman in this forum is a mere heckler. A messenger boy.
on June 8,2012 | 04:49PM
aiea7 wrote:
kalaheo - ben did break the law, where it states that the illegal contributions must be escheat to the state, but he used a loophole, an separate one, to avoid escheating the over $500,000 by spending all the funds and closing out the fund with zero balance. i also stated, that if he was an honorable person and a gov, he would hold himself to a higher standard and raise the funds to pay the state, instead of hiding behind a loophole. honorable people do what is right morally, cheats look for loopholes to avoid the consequences, and cayatono falls in the latter category.
on June 8,2012 | 08:37PM
KeithHaugen wrote:
Pay no attention to the pro-rail smears and attacks on Ben. He has nothing to gain by becoming Mayor, except to save us and our children and grandchildren from higher and never-ending taxes to support the railroad that we don't want, won't use, can't afford. Those being paid to level charges against Ben are just as bad as the candidates they support.
on June 8,2012 | 07:10AM
bender wrote:
Carlisle doesn't understand that this is one of the benefits of BRT, if the route is wrong, it can be changed. Rail cannot, it's carved in stone forever.
on June 8,2012 | 05:40AM
lastuhu wrote:
Go Brudda Ben!
on June 8,2012 | 05:52AM
wondermn1 wrote:
Go Ben Go
on June 8,2012 | 08:44AM
false wrote:
Let the games begin!
on June 8,2012 | 06:05AM
false wrote:
Oh, I thought u said let the False Games Begin. LOL. es what i get for scanning through real fast and not reading WORD FOR WORD FOR WORD.
on June 8,2012 | 09:14AM
BluesBreaker wrote:
Besides the fact that traffic would be worse after a BRT system was running, the fact that rail is permanent is the reason why investors will put their money into development around the stations. They don't want to put up housing and commercial districts and then see the transportation system move away from them. BRT promotes more sprawl, more pollution and more pavement in rural areas.
on June 8,2012 | 06:24AM
Changalang wrote:
What investors? We are in the beginning of a global recession, genius. The cost of Rail will turn Oahu into debt slaves. The only money Rail has is OUR money, already spent with nothing to show for it, but insulting commercials to our intelligence.
on June 8,2012 | 06:36AM
Changalang wrote:
" Former President Bill Clinton said on Tuesday that the U.S. is already in a recession and urged Congress to extend all the tax cuts set to expire at the end of the year. " ( President Clinton; 05JUN2012) . . . "President Barack Obama said on Friday that European leaders face an "urgent need to act" to resolve the region's financial crisis as the threat of a renewed recession there spells dangers for an anemic U.S. recovery five months before elections." (President Obama; 08JUN2012) . . . ' China’s first interest rate cut since 2008 and loosened controls on lending and deposit rates are a “sign of panic” and will not do anything to boost the economy, Jim Walker, chief economist at Asianomics Ltd. said. “The timing is a surprise but I suspect it demonstrates just how weak the Chinese economy really is,” Hong Kong-based Walker said today in an e-mail. “We believe that it is pretty close to recession.” China’s rate cut may signal that the world's second- biggest economy is weaker than the government anticipated, with reports on inflation, investment and output in May due to be released tomorrow. The move is a signal that “the whole world is heading into recession,” according to Walker. ' (Bloomberg; 07JUN2012) . . . This Recession is six times larger than the 2008 one. WE THE PEOPLE can't afford YOUR Crazy Train. Imua BRT; Go Ben Go !
on June 8,2012 | 07:38AM
hybrid1 wrote:
FACT: Development around TODs on the mainland tend to stay about a mile away from rail stations because of the noise and homeless problems.
on June 8,2012 | 08:55AM
OldDiver wrote:
Changalang?...........Are you predicting a never ending recession? You shine when you report the facts. Not so much otherwise.
on June 8,2012 | 09:01AM
false wrote:
You are Old, Mr. Diver. Please get back under the ocean in your Atlantis.
on June 8,2012 | 09:22AM
Changalang wrote:
I am simply providing recent quotations from the News Media, including two Presidents voicing on the topic within days of each other. If you think you know more about the economy than Clinton and Obama, than clearly you have been holding your breath too long and brain damage is apparent.
on June 8,2012 | 09:47AM
false wrote:
The Investors ran off with our money and hid in Switzerland. It was all Bubba's fault starting in the 1990s when he championed EVERY ONE in America would live the American Dream and own a home. The height of the crisis started in Bill's Administration and continued onward over the Turn of The Century and George was the unfortunate culprit of the Market Crash just before November 2008, which sent a Red Herring across the audience and clarified that BARRY was THE MAN. Unfortunately Barry, it is three years and nearly four years since CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN. Where ARE the jobs Man??? u have been in office long enough and The Stock Market tank this summer would lead one to believe that there will be a landslide Romney 37, Obama 13. Barry u did well eradicating Osama, however what have u done for us lately. I digress however we are all one nation, and if the Feds can find any reason to curtail the $1.55 Billion (and I am not sure why it was not JUST $1.6 Billion, or why not go for $2 Billion?), I am getting carpal tunnel syndrome, if that is what it is called. Chang, I just helping, so keep on langing. Over and Out.
on June 8,2012 | 09:20AM
Changalang wrote:
Many don't know the real number the Fed printed since 2008 and that our own Fed is our one country's own greatest lender; not China. 16 Trillion to bail out banks via loose networks of association to access the discount window at 25 basis points or pumped through via other International sources. There is another 8 Trillion since 2010 floating out there demonstrating the endpoint in Keynesian economics. IMF is fronting Operation Twist in the Spanish sovereign bond market to prop up their banks through the back door. That is why our market is up. It is all phony printed leveraged profit with hyper-inflated value to disguise a Depression. Blow back is hyper-inflation, but the Fed balance sheet shows their inflation at about two points. Looking at the sheer volume of dollars printed, Ben Bernanke's strategy to stall a Depression and hope time will heal all wounds, was really the best political option. However, what happens in the Sequel. Coming soon. :)
on June 8,2012 | 05:47PM
Changalang wrote:
The Feds IG testifying about what happened to $9 trillion the Fed printed. It simply vanished into thin air. . . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYNVNhB-m0o . . . " “I believe that were we to go down the path to further accommodation at this juncture, we would not simply be pushing on a string but would be viewed as an accomplice to the mischief that has become synonymous with Washington,” Fisher said in a speech at the University of St. Andrews in Scotland. The Fed purchased $2.3 trillion of securities in two rounds intended to lower long-term borrowing costs and spur employment. In September, it started a program to lengthen the maturities of the assets on its balance sheet, known as Operation Twist...“There is a growing sense that we are unwittingly, or worse, deliberately, monetizing the wayward ways of Congress,” said Fisher, 63. He said investors are concerned the Fed has “already expanded its balance sheet to its stretching point.” (05JUN2012; Bloomberg) Why is Food and Energy prices not figured into core inflation numbers? Because, the printing drop in dollar value shows the real truth.
on June 8,2012 | 07:44PM
hybrid1 wrote:
When will Carlisle/Caldwell provide their plan for traffic relief for the bottlenecks at the H-1 merges????? What's their PLAN???? Nothing in their article on rail on Sunday mentions traffic relief for the 94 percent on Oahu. !!. What's their plan????????................You should notice that both Carlisle and Caldwell did not provide a traffic solution to this FACT: The city's Alternative Analysis, Table 3-12, shows that the traffic overload at the H-1/H-2 merge, the Middle St merge and the pm Halawa merge will increase by over 500% AFTER the $6 Billion rail cattle cars are operating...Ben's BRT will solve the H-1 bottleneck merges for less than $100 million and will scrap the needless $6 Billion Rail
on June 8,2012 | 08:40AM
loquaciousone wrote:
Oh Pete the end is near...and so we close the final curtain...... goodbye.....no need for tears......we shall believe..... that you can finallly go the the great vacation in the sky and never return.
on June 8,2012 | 06:49AM
soundofreason wrote:
""The truth is, Cayetano rejected the very proposal he is now campaigning on" >>Back THEN, the residents weren't being THREATENED with a 5 BILLION dollar "bullet".
on June 8,2012 | 07:14AM
Changalang wrote:
Nine years ago, Oahu still had time to come up with a solution. Now is the time for BRT. Imua BRT. Imua Ben. The utter hypocrisy of the soon to be ousted Mayor's position is that his Rail plan relies on BRT from the train stops to the riders final destination. Ben's plan just replaces the 7 billion dollar Rail with a One billion dollar option that will have Park and Ride starting points in all Leeward and Windward communities; not just a dried out field in Kapolei that ignores Ewa and Central Oahu. The realities are that RAil will cost billions of dollars and never make to East of the Stadium parking lot because of ancient bones. The Rail Mob knows we will pay for a $7 Billion Rail AND have to pay for a BRT to make it operational as a mass people mover. Imua BRT; Imua Ben, for real traffic solutions at the fraction of the cost of Rail.
on June 8,2012 | 07:31AM
OldDiver wrote:
Your post would have been great if it was posted 40 years ago. In town BRT is a transportation system of the past.
on June 8,2012 | 09:02AM
Changalang wrote:
Your Crazy Train idea would have been great a couple hundred years ago when steel wheel on steel rail was cutting edge technology when the West Was Won in the 1800's. I knew you were old, but it is time to sit down and take a rest while the new generation embraces cost effective transportation solutions that benefit the people, rather than kickback cronies of corruption.
on June 8,2012 | 09:52AM
Keith_Rollman wrote:
OldDiver, I would appear that the trolls do not like us, and would like us to leave this blog forum so they can broadcast their garbage uninterrupted. I for one, couldn't care less what they want.
on June 8,2012 | 11:52AM
Changalang wrote:
Personally, I like you guys here. What is the joy of racket ball without a hard wall to bounce the ball off of? If it was not for the failing arguments of the Pro-Rail lobby here, We The People would have much less material to prove false. You guys make it so easy to wake the people up. As a matter of fact, I would say that the hardcore Pro-Rail bloggers here have garnered more net votes for Ben than the Anti-Rail patriots combined. Thank you for your continued efforts here. Imua Ben ! Imua BRT !
on June 8,2012 | 02:23PM
KeithHaugen wrote:
It's time to educate the minority of voters who still don't understand why buses work better on our Island than an old-fashioned train. Most of the pro-rail writers don't seem to understand that for every bus that is added, for every new bus route that is added or for every increase in bus frequency on any bus route, a larger number of cars are removed from our roads. Take a look at a packed articulated City bus and how many of those passengers would have to drive to and fro if TheBus service is curtailed. And multiply that by the hundreds of buses on the road at any given time, and how many people board and disembark between the far-reaching ends of that particular route. Then remember that TheBus serves the entire Island. Adding buses cost so much less that, for the cost of one $7.7 million Italilan 36-seat rail car, we can add about 30 of the newest, state-of-the-art buses, with many more seats and the ability to go anywhere on the Island, not just on the rail tracks from Kapolei to the shopping center. Help by explaining this to those around you who might not understand or who might be entralled by the idea of a once-in-a-lifetime fun ride on a Disney like train.
on June 8,2012 | 07:23AM
control wrote:
that's right Keith, add more buses, make the congestion worse than it already is. real smart - getting stuck in that parking lot called the H1/H2 merge.
on June 8,2012 | 07:41AM
Gary_S wrote:
More noisy buses that clogs the roads and spews fumes on pedestrians along the street is not environmentally sound. If the Transportation Bill doesn't pass the House, then there will not be any money even for BRT. Therefore, Ben, please go back to retirement with your "Old" ideas. With the rail in place the buses would be used as circulators within the communities to bring the rail riders to the rail stations. There could be services every fifteen minutes within each community. This will free up the express buses that rail will replace to service the communities that currently have only bus service only every hour. Everyone WINS! IMUA RAIL!
on June 8,2012 | 07:46AM
aiea7 wrote:
agree - cayatono go back to your hole. you are smelling up the place, like you buddy manekio who claims that old people smell bad. do you?
on June 8,2012 | 10:27PM
McCully wrote:
Vote Ben and have Panos as your trans. director. He knows more what he's talking about than Yoshioka.
on June 8,2012 | 07:37AM
worldtraveler wrote:
Hello rail dummies and corrupt, on-the-payroll crooks. Try and take a look at this video which explains why North King Street would be perfect for added capacity for express buses, offering great service to the Leeward commuters. Currently, North King Street is a joke, poorly managed, parking allowed at rush hour, changing width 20 times in the 2-mile run from Middle to Aaala Park. Watch the video and learn something: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MdTNd1VRZ0
on June 8,2012 | 08:25AM
wondermn1 wrote:
Peter your RAIL IS A RUSTIN: IF BUILT IT WILL BE A LOUD SCREACHING GIANT CEMENT STATIONED MONSTER STEEL ON STEEL ELEVATED VIBRATING MONSTER CHOO CHOO THAT NOBODY WANTS AND ONLY A FEW WILL RIDE WHILE ALL OF OUR CHILDREN PAY THRU THE NOSE.
on June 8,2012 | 08:34AM
islandsun wrote:
Look at the route of his lousy rail. Carliar should'nt even go there. Lets get this guy out of office, he is a real clown.
on June 8,2012 | 09:09AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
I think it's funny that Peter Carlisle read a prepared statement and then refused questions AT HIS OWN CALLED PRESS CONFERENCE. I think he has gotten a little too used to having reporters print City press releases as news.

Ben Cayetano responded by inviting reporters into his home, and asked them what question they had. I know which approach I prefer.
on June 8,2012 | 09:16AM
Publicbraddah wrote:
Here's a better question for Peter and Kirk. What is YOUR plan to alleviate traffic? You can't say rail because the city's already said rail will not solve our traffic problems. So, what's your answer?
on June 8,2012 | 09:22AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
I was hoping Peter Carlisle was calling his press conference to present a credible solution for addressing Oahu traffic.

Both he and Kirk Caldwell have held the position of Mayor and neither has made any effort to address our traffic flow other than following Mufi Hannemann's example of focusing on the rail project to the exclusion of any other infrastructure concerns.

Both Caldwell and Carlisle have shown us EXACTLY what they think is important already. We need "Broken Trust, Part II."
on June 8,2012 | 09:25AM
Publicbraddah wrote:
Actually Kalaheo1, Peter has done very little during his tenure except be out of town. This, being an election year, he's suddenly showing up everywhere showing off his phony smile and making himself visible every waking minute. But, we're on to him. He's not ready for prime time. Voters, don't forget we made a difference when we kicked Mufi out. Let's do the same with Peter the Piper.
on June 8,2012 | 02:17PM
Kuniarr wrote:
Our problem was, is, and will continue to be Traffic Congestion unless and until it is fixed. Cayetano offers to fixt it. Both Carllsle and Caldwell ignore fixing traffic congestion and instead want to continue with this most expensive project intended merely as "an alternative to traffic congestion".
on June 8,2012 | 09:48AM
PCWarrior wrote:
Carlise just go away already. Nobody believe your mindless drivel.
on June 8,2012 | 10:15AM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
Summary of Pete's press conference:

I'm here to talk stink about the other candidate. Then I am going to run away before you guys can ask any questions.

Thanks a bunch, Pete. About time for another off-island jaunt, eh?


on June 8,2012 | 10:35AM
loquaciousone wrote:
Is Pete back from vacation yet or is he and his wife still in China?
on June 8,2012 | 02:43PM
akuman808 wrote:
I would like to invite both Carlisle and Caldwell to my condo in Aiea on any weekday morning to view the H-1, more specificaly the zipper lane. The most under utilized lane in the state. Easily a hundred more buses would fill the zipper lane and still move at freeway speed. That would take cars off the freeway as they zip on The Bus moving eastbound. Investment costs, more buses and drivers. Exactly what Cayetano proposes.
on June 8,2012 | 11:26AM
SandBar wrote:
As with the rail, it's convincing the single occupant cars to use mass transit be it bus, rail, carpool or other means. Look around you when you're stuck in that traffic. All I see are single occupants cars around me.
on June 8,2012 | 12:07PM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
I also see an open Zipper lane. There's your option. Use it.
on June 8,2012 | 01:30PM
loquaciousone wrote:
Sometimes I forget to pull my zipper up but by the time I find out the rail has already snuck out.
on June 8,2012 | 02:45PM
Imagen wrote:
(^__^)
on June 8,2012 | 05:31PM
loquaciousone wrote:
The City has yet to complete the Archaeological studies for the most important segment -- Kakaako. So what happens when the rail engineers hit so many burial sites that the eventual train tracks would resemble a giant pretzel? The sneaky rail guys got this project started by breaking it up into four segments. That's why started in Kapolei because it's the path of least resistance. I bet the rail never makes it past Aiea.
on June 8,2012 | 01:47PM
Changalang wrote:
It is never going past the Aloha Stadium parking lot. The Big Bus Hub that Rail planners will be forced to settle on with delays as the New Stadium in the West plans get announced as TOD years into construction.
on June 8,2012 | 06:51PM
Kuniarr wrote:
In WWII, the Jews were led to a building and told that they were to take a bath. But once inside the Jews discovered that they were in a death chamber. Carlisle and Caldwell are tell the people that rail is good, and it won't cost them a thing because it is funded by the GET rail surcharge and the Feds. Then after rail is built, Wammo! The people suddenly discover that bus fare goes from $2.50 to $10.45 and monthly pass from $60 to $250. Home owners suddenly discover that their property tax goes up from $950 to $3,500 because of funding for HART, Rail Police, Rail subsidy and an increased Bus Fleet. Landlords begin to tell renters that because of high property tax a rent of $950 is raised to $2,000. Ask anyone who preaches rail in this forum like OldDiver, wilki, aiea7, Keith_Rollman, NanakuliBoss, control, the pro-rail false, and others who preach how good rail is what happens after rail is built with Bus Fare and Property Tax.
on June 8,2012 | 02:36PM
Kuniarr wrote:
Ask anyone who preaches rail in this forum what happens after rail is built with Bus Fare and Property Tax.
on June 8,2012 | 02:38PM
aiea7 wrote:
This comment has been deleted.
on June 8,2012 | 03:49PM
Kuniarr wrote:
BRT is mass transit. It is for the greater good. A BRT system is far less expensive than a Rail system simply because a Rail system requires an increase in the fleet of buses to shuttle riders to and from rail station. BRT is "mass transit" because it qualifies as a large-scale transportation system. "Mass Transit" does not disqualify buses that run on dedicated lanes.
on June 8,2012 | 04:45PM
Changalang wrote:
And bus plans get a much higher percentage of Federal Funding from the FTA. BRT=less total Fed dollars with a much greater percentage up front.
on June 8,2012 | 05:50PM
aiea7 wrote:
waipahu - BRT does not require additional buses? what is this stoopid talk about adding 200 buses? be consistent in your argument and facts instead of making contradictory statements and putting you foot in you big mouth over and over again.
on June 8,2012 | 10:30PM
Wazdat wrote:
You are a DONKEY
on June 8,2012 | 07:52PM
Changalang wrote:
BRT amendment to use GET mass transit collections from the Rail funding bill coming right up, next session. :) .....' Governor Abercrombie has been a staunch supporter of rail for four decades and fought for Congressional funding for years, but in an interview on Hawaii News Now Sunrise, he raised questions about the project's current form. "The difficulty right now is that the rail that's proposed right now has nothing to do with what was stated before, going to the university, going into Waikiki, the transit-oriented development," says Mr. Abercrombie. The Governor said the contentious debate will be decided when voters choose the next Honolulu mayor. "And then, whatever comes out of that, I'm going to support. We have to have alternative transportation from the west side of the island of Oahu, but what form it's going to take, I think is going to be settled in August with the election." ' (10MAY2012, Hawaii News Now) We The People demand transportation solutions and honest choices.
on June 8,2012 | 11:11PM
ukuleleblue wrote:
Caldwell should leave the current rail plan intact since it was determined to have the best alignment and configuration. Any suggested changes at this time no matter how small will only stall the project. We need to get this core route built as soon as possible. We can always add to the system extensions ot UH Manoa or Waikiki later. Bus Rapid Transit can be integrated with rail later if found to be beneficial. If Caldwell wants to be elected, he should be adamant to finish the rail project as planned with no hitches.
on June 9,2012 | 08:50AM
digital4u wrote:
From: Bankruptcy http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-0711-san-bernardino-20120711,0,5646419.story Kathy Mallon, 57, who has lived in San Bernardino for a decade, blasted the city's elected leaders for allowing the financial crisis to grow unabated and wasting millions of tax dollars on transit projects and other non-essential services.
on July 10,2012 | 10:16PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Latest News/Updates