Quantcast
  

Saturday, April 19, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 121 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Economy, spending top issues in debate

Congressional candidates Djou and Hanabusa face off on Hawaii Public Radio

By Derrick DePledge

POSTED:


U.S. Rep. Colleen Hanabusa said Tuesday that her top priority would be job creation to help with the nation’s economic recovery if she is re-elected to Congress in November, while former U.S. Rep. Charles Djou, her Republican opponent, said he would focus on the federal government’s $16 trillion debt.

Hanabusa and Djou, in a one-hour debate on Hawaii Public Radio in their rematch in urban Honolulu’s 1st Congressional District, offered voters ideological contrasts.

Hanabusa said Hawaii-born President Barack Obama and the government have had a role in the recovery and stressed the importance of restoring hope and confidence in the nation’s direction.

Djou said the country is headed in the wrong direction and that he has more faith in the individual and small businesses than in the government.

“It is unfortunate that there is this sense of dysfunction within Congress,” Hanabusa said. “But I will tell you, we may have dysfunction, but it’s like everything else. There are people who make up Congress who you can find to work together, and I have found many of them.

“And I am fully confident that on both sides of the aisle, that if we turn to Congress, we can work together and make things better.”

Djou said the nation risks moving down the same “fiscally destructive” path as many European countries.

“Our nation is at crossroads,” he said. “Right now, what America and Hawaii and what our families face is extraordinarily challenging. Our economy is growing too slowly. Our unemployment rate continues to be far too high.

“But I also want to emphasize here: We have this enormous national debt looming over our children and our grandchildren.”   

Hanabusa questioned several votes Djou cast before leaving Congress two years ago that appeared inconsistent, including a vote on a spending bill with reductions to veterans’ programs and military construction.

Djou, who served six months in Afghanistan with the U.S. Army Reserve, bristled at any suggestion that he does not support veterans and the military.

“Let me make this very clear: I’ve served our country. … Any sort of allegation that I don’t care about our service members, that I do not care very deeply about the service that I rendered on behalf of the United States — of the American people — in combat in Kandahar province with the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Infantry Division, is a complete flat-out lie.”

Hanabusa pressed him to explain his vote.

“You know, Charles, you didn’t answer my question,” she said. “I’m not questioning your loyalty or the fact that you served. All I want to know is why did you vote against this specific bill?”

Djou said he favored spending reductions to the veterans and military construction programs, not their elimination.

“I believe that our budget needs to shrink, and all departments need to reduce its spending,” he said. “And when we’re spending too much money that we don’t have, and shifting the bill to the next generation, that’s irresponsible.”

Hanabusa said she supported the reductions to growth in Medicare included in the federal health care reform law, which extends the life of the program and helps expand preventative care and prescription drug coverage for seniors. Djou said he would consider a premium-support option in Medicare, which involves voucher-like payments so seniors can buy private insurance as an alternative to traditional Medicare.

Hanabusa and Djou also differed on the federal mortgage interest deduction for homeowners. Djou said he would consider eliminating the deduction in the context of broader income tax relief, while Hanabusa described the deduction as essential for many families, particularly in the middle class.

On the Honolulu rail project, Hanabusa said the state’s congressional delegation has an obligation to seek federal funding to carry out the expectation of voters who approved the project.

Djou said he would abide by the will of the next Hono­lulu mayor, but he opposes the rail project because he believes it is too expensive and will not produce a sufficient reduction in traffic congestion.

Former Gov. Ben Cayetano, a candidate for mayor, has said he would block the rail project if elected. Kirk Caldwell, a former acting mayor and city managing director, supports the rail project with modifications.






 Print   Email   Comment | View 121 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(121)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
what wrote:
Colleen stands for ever more taxes to support ever more wasteful government spending.
on September 26,2012 | 01:57AM
Grimbold wrote:
It's simple: Hanabusa pro irresponsible spending money the gov does not have , The horrendous spending will cause inflation and the end game will be a total crash a la Argentina. Joe Sixpack will vote for her. Djou stands for fiscal responsiblity. Intelligent people will vote for him. Outcome obviously hopeless when you look at our population. It is the voters who bring about irresponsible politicians and who create the deficit mess..
on September 26,2012 | 07:17AM
Grimbold wrote:
Correct myself: People without savings,Leftists and workers with cushiony gov jobs are for Hanabusa.
on September 26,2012 | 07:37AM
wiliki wrote:
Djou stands for economic disaster. We desparately need fiscal stimulus in increasing employment and reviving our economy. His heart is in the wrong place if he advocates for such suffering-- including cutbacks for veterans. Hanabusa has the answers and he doesn't.
on September 26,2012 | 08:27AM
aomohoa wrote:
Her answer is spend more money we don't have,just like your answer williki. Both irresponsible. It's like when my kids were little. If I told them I don't have the money for something they wanted, they told me to write a check! We had do that if we are going to control our debt! By the way he won't cut what he doesn't have to with the Veterans. he is one. Hanabusa is not responsible! She is a typical politician that will say anything to get elected!
on September 26,2012 | 09:01AM
Admirable wrote:
Collen Hanabusa is a smart effective representative for1st District. Mr.Djou does not have a clue! His first stint as a representative he was nothing more than a stooge for the tea party obstructionist! He voted no on everything. His lack of knowledge related to the issues was and is cause for concern. I do not want Mr. Djou to represent me in congress! I have seen enough of Mr.Djou and his obstructionist tactics to know that he will not act in the best interest of Hawaii. My vote will go to Colleen Hanabusa to represent the 1st District of Hawaii!
on September 26,2012 | 04:40PM
wiliki wrote:
Great comment. Mr Djou has already proved how ineffective he can be in Congress in helping our economy. We must always remember that the US economy is not the same as the family of aomohoa.
on September 26,2012 | 05:58PM
Kuniarr wrote:
I disagree. Another stimulus program disguised as a Jobs Program like the other 2 Stimulus program will result in an economic recovery as in the 1930s during the time of President Roosevelt.

When can Obama Democrats like Coleen realize and recognize the fact that most consumer products are not anymore manufactured in the US such that where before in the 1930s the econ9mic law of Supply and Demand worked, it will not and will never work today. For the source of Supply today does not come from inside the US but from foreign countries.

Creating the environment to improve our foreign trade such that instead of gigantic trade deficits the US would have trade surplus.

Obama thinks that an Export Promotion team of bureaucrat cabinet members would do the trick which does not really address the many situations that Obama himself revealed in his speech to create an Export Promotion team.

On the hand Romney addresses all the situations Obama revealed in his Foreign Trade speech such as having a level playing field in our treaties. And more in seeking to expand the market for high quality US products.
on September 26,2012 | 03:30PM
wiliki wrote:
When all the countries are having bad economies, then no one will buy from the other. That's the nature of a recession-- the lack of demand because everyone is hurting. China is beginning to slip because the US economy continues to drag everyone down.

Playing with trade rules wont help and Romney needs to figure out how to increase govt fiscal stimulus when his political party opposes it. Perhaps he can call on Rick "The deficit doesn't matter" Santorum to help with his campaign.


on September 26,2012 | 06:04PM
lynnh wrote:
Why do you have subscription to a newspaper? It is clear that you donʻt read one!
on September 26,2012 | 10:11PM
HD36 wrote:
You're right. That's why the founders were for republic. People had to have a modicum of intelligence in order to vote. The reason being, that one idiot's vote would cancel somone who really studied the issues. Howard Stern interviewed some potential voters in Harlem who thought John Mcain was running against Obama.
on September 26,2012 | 10:53PM
HD36 wrote:
They will never come close to collecting enough taxes to balance the US National Debt which stands at over $16,060,683,143,891 a couple minutes ago. This amounts to a debt burden to each tax payer of over $140,377. Cuts must be made. Social Securtiy and Medicare/Medicaid should be the safety net although they are the biggest budget items. The only places I see where cuts could be made would be on Defense/Wars which costs over $677,733,130526 and Federal Pensions which costs $212,773,311,927
on September 26,2012 | 10:04PM
al_kiqaeda wrote:
Hanabusa wants to "create jobs" while letting the ridiculous spending go on. It's so...so...ummm...feckless.
on September 26,2012 | 02:32AM
Kuniarr wrote:
Hanabusa does not know how to "create jobs" except thru government spending.
on September 26,2012 | 03:32PM
autumnrose wrote:
and Djou is against spending money on daRail... while Hanabusa said "the people voted for it." Sadly she's just reading the Dem. party lines. Disappointing, but then again, Djou as a Republican thinks nothing of SPENDING FOR WAR or spending to give subsidies and tax credits to CORPORATE PERSONS, the Republican party agenda. No "entitlements" for human persons, just for corporate persons. I didn't like that Djou proudly says he is a recent "combat" veteran, Afghanistan. He didn't lead any patrols or engaged the enemy -- what kind of "combat" did he do in Afghanistan? He was a major-- he was probably safe behind the lines on the base the whole time.
on September 26,2012 | 03:10AM
ya_think wrote:
exactly when were you over there in Afghanistan? Do you know anything about what is going on over there? Do some research before you make statements like that. There is no "safe behind the lines" over there.
on September 26,2012 | 06:17AM
wiliki wrote:
Nope we don't really know. Such duties of a Major depends on the assignment. He may have considerably less risk if he spent most of his time in the office.
on September 26,2012 | 08:30AM
tiki886 wrote:
It's disgusting how you minimize anyone's service in the military by the amount of "risk" an individual endures. How about the mere sacrifice of leaving one's family?
on September 26,2012 | 10:51AM
wiliki wrote:
He uses it to claim it makes him more qualified to hold office. Not good enough for me. Let's look at Senator Inouye with more respect before we look at Djou's claim.
on September 26,2012 | 05:55PM
lynnh wrote:
hmm, as i recall from comments in other posts, you support Tulsi Gabbard. All she does is shoot her mouth off about her military service (insulting to people like me who actually were in combat, and donʻt use it for gain). Djou talks about what it is like over there and what he witnessed. He never boast about being a decorated veteran as Gabbard does. And by the way, her decorations are received by anyone in the service in time of war, not for an exceptional act. So...the fact that you mock Djou when you support Gabbard makes you an incredible hypocrite.
on September 26,2012 | 09:56PM
lynnh wrote:
If you bothered doing some research, his military career is public record now.
on September 26,2012 | 10:15PM
hawaiikone wrote:
Don't recall you commenting on Gabbard's similar claim about being a "combat vet".
on September 26,2012 | 07:20AM
wiliki wrote:
I don't think that military experience should ever be thought of as a substitute for real live experience and in public service. We don't really know what she did over there. How much "combat" of her claim did she ever see?
on September 26,2012 | 08:32AM
hawaiikone wrote:
An unusual occurrence - we agree.
on September 26,2012 | 10:52AM
wiliki wrote:
Like her father, Gabbard is a skilled politician. I just hope that she grows up in Congress.
on September 26,2012 | 05:52PM
lynnh wrote:
And where exactly is her skill? What has she done?
on September 26,2012 | 10:16PM
lynnh wrote:
None! Women are not infantry solders.
on September 26,2012 | 10:03PM
lynnh wrote:
What? You donʻt think military is a "real live experience"? I wish I could swear in here....you would get every word I can thing of you jack@#$!
on September 26,2012 | 10:35PM
allie wrote:
we were never allowed to vote on rail!
on September 26,2012 | 07:36AM
wiliki wrote:
Not true... this is about the third or fouth time that we are voting on rail.
on September 26,2012 | 08:33AM
aomohoa wrote:
You are a liar wiliki! And the vote we did have, if you were confused, not voting was a yes. They jammed this rail down our throats. We will see when Ben is elected. We will see what the people say then. Not you, a paid liar!
on September 26,2012 | 09:04AM
wiliki wrote:
Nope... you're the liar here. Everybody knows that we've voted for rail before. Nobody has such short memories.
on September 26,2012 | 05:51PM
lynnh wrote:
You have a creative memory. All we were allowed to vote on was the type of rail system and if a comity should be formed. Wake up!
on September 26,2012 | 10:04PM
Grimbold wrote:
The poll was foul because the question and wording was suggestive and not neutral. .
on September 26,2012 | 02:50PM
al_kiqaeda wrote:
My buddy is a major in the USAF and he was "safe behind the line" last year and got shelled over 120 times (two guys were killed) during his deployment. Hey, he's going to get a sweet retirement too when he makes LTC. Why don't you sign up for the National Guard since it's "only the Guard" and deployment to Afghanistan is probably REALLY SAFE.
on September 26,2012 | 08:41AM
tiki886 wrote:
It's disgusting how they minimize anyone's service in the military by the amount of "risk" an individual endures. How about the mere sacrifice of leaving one's family? Only Liberal Democrats can think like that. That's why they have the reputation of hiding under their desks like Mazie is wont to do.
on September 26,2012 | 10:56AM
lee1957 wrote:
One does not need to earn the CAR or CIB to be considered a combat veteran.
on September 26,2012 | 11:53AM
lynnh wrote:
Try reading. It is public record you know. Yes, he was in a combat unit, and majors do go into battle. Know something about the military before you shoot your mouth off.
on September 26,2012 | 10:14PM
Ken_Conklin wrote:
I like Djou's fiscal conservatism, and his commitment to reducing government spending. However, there's one federal issue that poses the biggest threat to Hawaii, where Djou is on the wrong side. Djou favors the Akaka bill, and the Hawaiian racial entitlement programs. In a 30-minute interview on OHA radio, Djou enthusiastically said that as a Republican he can persuade his fellow Republicans to stop blocking the Akaka bill. I worry that he might be correct about that. Therefore I oppose Djou and encourage people to vote for Hanabusa even though I greatly dislike her policies. Republicans will ignore Hanabusa because she's just another machine Democrat. The fact that she pushes the Akaka bill poses no threat, because nearly every Democrat does the same thing. We in Hawaii must give top priority to protecting our own state against the Akaka bill -- for us it's more important than cutting the federal budget. Racial separatism and ethnic nationalism are far worse than budget deficits or unemployment -- ask the people of Bosnia, Rwanda, Sri Lanka, etc. If it weren't for the Akaka bill I would support Djou. But any Republican who thinks it's a good idea to divide Hawaii's people and lands along racial lines is serving an evil purpose and must be stopped.
on September 26,2012 | 04:40AM
Kalli wrote:
right you are ken.
on September 26,2012 | 04:50AM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Conklin,you are an evil purpose. Even your web pic looks evil. Aloha
on September 26,2012 | 05:13AM
Grimbold wrote:
Calling people with different opinions evil? Is that what you stand for?
on September 26,2012 | 07:40AM
wiliki wrote:
Quite true... he has a right to his opinion. It's not really discussed whether the Akaka Bill is racist or not. Many Republicans seem to think so....
on September 26,2012 | 08:35AM
lynnh wrote:
I wish your keyboard would break!
on September 26,2012 | 10:28PM
tiki886 wrote:
Since when is racism and apartheid not 'evil'?
on September 26,2012 | 11:00AM
Grimbold wrote:
Anytime a leftist liberal does not like an opinion and cannot argue against facts they scream "Racist". Can't discuss anything with your ilk.
on September 26,2012 | 02:54PM
tiki886 wrote:
Thanks for supporting racism and apartheid you racist!
on September 26,2012 | 07:34PM
Fred01 wrote:
Most of the time, those who blab the anti-word "liberal" in defense, are racist!
on September 26,2012 | 09:48PM
lynnh wrote:
Holy @#$%! Are you serious? Are you really that dumb that you thing "liberal" is a race?
on September 26,2012 | 10:20PM
soundofreason wrote:
Feel free to vote for Djou and take peace in knowing that all other politicians WILL prevent this measure. That's why it's never gotten any real consideration in all this time.
on September 26,2012 | 07:34AM
allie wrote:
djou is just toeing the line of his casino donors
on September 26,2012 | 07:37AM
wiliki wrote:
Thanx.... don't think that that came out in the article above. He has no common sense if he supports casino gambling in Hawaii.
on September 26,2012 | 08:36AM
turbolink wrote:
Where did you get this little tidbit? Please give us a credible reference.
on September 26,2012 | 09:43AM
hawaiikone wrote:
Just like her (or his) other rants against Jews, Hawaiians, and Mufi, facts are obviously never under consideration.
on September 26,2012 | 10:54AM
turbolink wrote:
Don't forget her radical Republican agenda. Problem is, Allie makes so many ill-advised comments she loses track of what she says and contradicts herself.
on September 26,2012 | 04:16PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
she got it at the pizza place where she sling slices.
on September 26,2012 | 05:18PM
beachbum11 wrote:
and you are always against everything that helps the Hawaiian people. Why? What about programs that help your people, those are all right according to you. Hawaiians were here before us (me) it is there land that was take away by people like ...
on September 26,2012 | 08:21AM
tiki886 wrote:
Kamehameha did the same thing by invading Maui and Oahu and killing hundreds of Oahuans by pushing them over the Pali at the Battle of Nuuanu. Kamehameha then captured my Chief Kalanikupule, son of Kahekili and took him back to the Big Island to sacrifice him. Sounds like kidnap and murder to me. You talk about land that was taken away from Hawaiians? What about the land, taxes and tribute that Oahuans had to pay to the Kamehameha clan?

Kamehameha killed more Hawaiians than any hao le ever did for land and power in Hawaii.Tell me can I get money reparations from the Kamehameha clan on the Big Island for their murderous rampage of Oahu?


on September 26,2012 | 11:08AM
what wrote:
Take away? Even under the Kingdom of Hawaii much of the land didn't belong to the "people" or "Hawaiians". What land the common "Hawaiian" "people" owned did not get forcibly taken from them.
on September 26,2012 | 11:26AM
kainalu wrote:
Ken Conklin infamous throughout the Hawaiian community. A classic carpet-bagger, the quintessentai image of a revisionist. The likes of Ken Conklin would have you believe that the voyaging polynisians discovered Captain Cook here. Simply put, Ken Conklin is hard at work to wipe out the existence of the very thought of Hawaiians. No Hawaiians - No Aloha ... is Conklin's dream world.
on September 26,2012 | 03:50PM
Kalli wrote:
Hanabusa should be in prison. She voted against the attorney general, margery bronster, because she forced the trustees to follow the law instead of comingling investments.
on September 26,2012 | 04:50AM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Every anti rail wants politicians in jail! Get a grip. You voted them in.
on September 26,2012 | 05:14AM
wiliki wrote:
True... she's not accountable for what others do or don't do. Bronster was criticised because she didn't defend the schools against the Felix decision for special ed.
on September 26,2012 | 08:39AM
lynnh wrote:
Actually, she "is" accountable.
on September 26,2012 | 10:30PM
allie wrote:
I hear the hanabooboo was once tied to organized crime in Waianae?
on September 26,2012 | 07:38AM
beachbum11 wrote:
Her father was.
on September 26,2012 | 08:24AM
al_kiqaeda wrote:
I tried looking that up. Where did you get that?
on September 26,2012 | 08:52AM
tiki886 wrote:
Google: "Hanabusa's daddy is in the mafia" then click on "Larry Mehau supporting Neil Abercrombie - Hawaii Freee Press".
on September 26,2012 | 11:22AM
wiliki wrote:
I'm not surprised with such rumors. She grew up in a tough and economically depressed neighborhood in Waianae. She probably knew many of the current criminal leaders on a first name basis. As Djou has found out, she's a tough woman and will attack unfairly or fairly, him on many issues. His defensive response to her question on his vote on the veteran's budget bares this out.
on September 26,2012 | 08:43AM
lynnh wrote:
Growing up in a tough neighborhood does not give someone leave to do criminal acts!
on September 26,2012 | 10:24PM
ya_think wrote:
The question for Hanabusa should be "What bills did you introduce while in congress?" What did you do specifiably for Hawaii?
on September 26,2012 | 06:20AM
lynnh wrote:
Nothing!
on September 26,2012 | 10:25PM
false wrote:
Djou inundated me with robocalls in the last election and ignored four cease and desist requests. By not removing my phone number from his impersonal system he showed a complete disregard for the constituency. This is a direct reflection upon his political style and as a result, I will not be voting for this person.
on September 26,2012 | 06:58AM
soundofreason wrote:
Gee, disregard for phonecalls or.......forced Obamacare puppet......phoncalls......forced Obamacare puppet......Wow. Too close to call for me :/
on September 26,2012 | 07:38AM
wiliki wrote:
It's a clear choice. Hanabusa's heart is in the right place, Djou's isn't.
on September 26,2012 | 08:45AM
aomohoa wrote:
According to you, who thinks spending $10 billion is no big deal!
on September 26,2012 | 09:10AM
wiliki wrote:
$10 Billion is a made up figure. Who are you trying to fool?
on September 26,2012 | 05:47PM
lynnh wrote:
$10 billion is a drop in the bucket compared to the spending Hanabusa supports. Who are you trying to fool?
on September 26,2012 | 10:10PM
lynnh wrote:
As does every liberal politician as well. So your point is?
on September 26,2012 | 10:32PM
Kaneohe5 wrote:
She's feckless
on September 26,2012 | 07:32AM
Kaneohe5 wrote:
Like my son's favorite show Power rangers. Obama is the red ranger, Danny is the blue ranger, Akaka is the green ranger, Mazie the pink and Colleen the yellow. When they combine and turn into one ATM Megazord. hahahaha
on September 26,2012 | 07:36AM
kainalu wrote:
I literally cringed when Djou brought up the concept of deregulation. It's the same old republican song and dance that has gotten us into this mess to begin with, President Reagan's "trickle down" concept, when most would agree the working-class has been "trickled on" by this concept. Deregulation can be directly attributed to our recent financial meltdown, the gulf oil spill, and the ever increasing divide between the "haves" and "have nots". Djou brings up the disaster as if it's something new.
on September 26,2012 | 07:44AM
beachbum11 wrote:
Vote demo rat and watch your country go down the tubes. USA will be like all other communist countries before 2016
on September 26,2012 | 08:26AM
kailuabred wrote:
Which communist countries are those?
on September 26,2012 | 08:39AM
tiki886 wrote:
Greece, France, Italy, Spain, Cuba, Venezuela,...
on September 26,2012 | 11:31AM
Fred01 wrote:
Where did you hear that Greece, France, Italy, and Spain were communist countries? Sounds like the usual tea bagger misinformation.
on September 26,2012 | 01:16PM
tiki886 wrote:
Socialism is what those countries practice isn't it? It certainly is not Capitalism. "The goal of socialism is communism." - Vladimir Lenin
on September 26,2012 | 06:12PM
Fred01 wrote:
I am pretty sure I heard somewhere that our American political system was modeled after Greece and France. Certainly, our founders set this thing up with elements of both capitalism and socialism for a reason.
on September 26,2012 | 08:28PM
al_kiqaeda wrote:
You mean bankrupt socialist countries.
on September 26,2012 | 08:44AM
aomohoa wrote:
Beachbum11 is sounding like a nut. You are correct on your comment al kiquada.
on September 26,2012 | 09:11AM
kailuabred wrote:
The sky is falling mentality is so tea baggish. Disagreeing is one thing, but the whole "the country is doomed" talk is just lame and tiresome. The GOP's extremism is why Romney will lose and the Dems will maintain the Senate.
on September 26,2012 | 08:59AM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Actually the communist countries like China and Russia is booming.
on September 26,2012 | 05:22PM
tiki886 wrote:
I'm glad you have revealed yourself as a Commie Symp
on September 26,2012 | 06:14PM
AmbienDaze wrote:
If there is any trickling, get Super Beta Prostate. More forceful flow, complete emptying of the bladder.
on September 26,2012 | 11:59AM
aomohoa wrote:
If Hanabusa wins we will need to print Monopoly money to pay for everything she things we should have. You can't just keep spending money that we don't have. I will vote for Djou, he has common sense.
on September 26,2012 | 08:57AM
NITRO08 wrote:
The only reason you are voting for Djou is that you are a republican and the republican platform su-ks same same for Linda! You need to open your eyes. repubs only sc-wed up the US credit rating and our economy!
on September 26,2012 | 11:44AM
Fred01 wrote:
Pretty sure the democrats had a hand in that too. You should open your eyes!
on September 26,2012 | 01:13PM
Kuniarr wrote:
The only reason you are against Djou is because you only vote for people with a D opposite their names.
on September 26,2012 | 06:38PM
tiki886 wrote:
When Democrats skrew up as they always do, they never take responsibility. They keep blaming Bush even after they took complete and total control for two years. Even in Hawaii where Democrats have 99% control, they still are able to blame one Republican, Linda Lingle for ALL of their problems that they have perpetrated on all Hawaii residents.

Democrats are disgusting and pathetic.


on September 26,2012 | 07:26PM
Fred01 wrote:
Republicans are pretty rotten too! But out of this ugly pair, I think Djou is the better. Colleen is so yuck in every way!
on September 26,2012 | 08:26PM
lawman1175 wrote:
Obamanomics doesn't work Colleen. Only thing that's keeping the economy afloat is the printing of monopoly money, and borrowing more money from china. Thanks Obama for doing absolutely nothing to balance the budget and reducing spending. You and your democratic coharts refuse to work with those on the other side of the aisle to turn things around. Oh but wait, you did give us Obamacare...an ineffective program that adds umpteen billions of dollars to our national debt. At least the war in Iraq /Afghanistan took out two long time USA haters who were a threat to our countries citizens.
on September 26,2012 | 10:48PM
aomohoa wrote:
You are paid liar here wiliki!
on September 26,2012 | 09:04AM
HD36 wrote:
Don't spend what you don't have. Hawaii can't afford the highest percentage of government workers in the US
on September 26,2012 | 09:19AM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
All this talk of Hanabusa and not one mention of "Ko Olina"? Sheesh, short memories you folks.
on September 26,2012 | 11:58AM
Fred01 wrote:
Both of these candidates are UGLYYY! They both look like aliens or something.
on September 26,2012 | 01:12PM
HD36 wrote:
Have you looked in the mirror lately Fred? You sound like one of those voters who don't know any of the issues, but vote only based on how someone looks. By the way, Do you think Romney's nomination of Jesse Jackson as vice president will hurt his chances? Do you think Obama will kill Osama and get us out of Africa?
on September 26,2012 | 02:05PM
Fred01 wrote:
You are so naive to think that looks don't matter in politics. Who cares what I think about these wormy looking people?
on September 26,2012 | 11:38PM
Grimbold wrote:
Fred, they are ugly to a martian. When did you arrive?
on September 26,2012 | 02:57PM
Fred01 wrote:
You are just mad because you look ugly like Colleen Hanabusa!
on September 26,2012 | 03:29PM
HD36 wrote:
Fred, don't be so superficial. Beauty is on the inside.
on September 26,2012 | 04:53PM
Fred01 wrote:
I can tell that Grimbold is a beautiful soul!
on September 26,2012 | 08:24PM
d1shima wrote:
"if we turn to Congress" we can make things better? Wow...scary. Those who support Hanabusa....you have no problem with, "I'm from the government, I'm here to help"? Gas prices have more than doubled under this regime and food prices are looking to follow. Sounds like a pretty regressive tax policy, eh?
on September 26,2012 | 02:39PM
HD36 wrote:
The reason why;? The US National Debt is over: $16,060,091,333,891 and the debt per taxpayer is $140,374 with the Fed announcing unlimited QE (money printing) prices will go through the roof.
on September 26,2012 | 05:04PM
Kuniarr wrote:
The thing that amazes me is how rail ever got into the debate because Hanabusa or Djou as lawmakers are remotely involved on matters involving rail in Honolulu.
on September 26,2012 | 04:22PM
HD36 wrote:
Some of our largest budget items which increase the debt are: Federal Pensions: $212,775,099,571 and Wars and Defense which we spend over $677,750,980,522 . Rail is a drop in the bucket of a black hole of debt the US can never repay without defaulting or priniting money.
on September 26,2012 | 05:07PM
HD36 wrote:
US National Debt: $16,060,091,333,891 Debt per tax payer : $ 140,374 Largest budget items: Defense/Wars $677,750,980,522 Federal Pensions $ 212,775,099,571 QE unlimited How much more do you want to print and spend?
on September 26,2012 | 04:51PM
Smiley7 wrote:
Want higer taxes and fees? Look at the Dem' record and judge for yourself. When did we ever get a check back from the federal government? Presidents Ford and Bush, not from anyone else that I can remember. We know who got the checks during this administration. Auwe!
on September 26,2012 | 06:01PM
HD36 wrote:
US National Debt $16,060,091,333,891
on September 26,2012 | 06:46PM
HD36 wrote:
The moderator must be afraid of losing his job. He won't let me post the amount of the US National Debt? How does that violate any guildlines? Oh, yea, his masters are beholden to the democrats, and he needs this job because he's not qualified for anything in journalism.
on September 26,2012 | 10:58PM
User 4 wrote:
Your previous comment was automatically pulled by the spam filters, but was manually approved today. However, you are advised cut out the trolling wrapped in conspiracy theology or you may very well find your commenting privileges revoked.
on September 27,2012 | 12:28PM
localguy wrote:
Hanababooza just doesn't get it. Taxpayers have limits to increased taxation booza wants. Charles has always pushed fiscal responsibility, a concept booza has yet to understand. The solution is clear, dump booza if you want fiscal responsibility.
on September 27,2012 | 01:04AM
IN OTHER NEWS