Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Print   Email   Comment | View 239 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Gay marriage dominates Democrats' House debate

The four candidates tout varied levels of experience in trying to win over voters

By Gordon Y.K. Pang

LAST UPDATED: 02:14 a.m. HST, Jul 13, 2012

The four major candidates in the Demo­cratic primary for the 2nd Congressional District exchanged barbs during a feisty 90-minute debate Thursday night that touched on issues from their views on same-sex marriage to their ranges of political experience.

At the end of the debate, all of them said they thought they were able to convince rural Oahu and neighbor island voters that they should be chosen on primary election day, Aug. 11.

City Councilwoman Tulsi Gabbard said her experiences as a war veteran and legislator put her in the best position to serve the district.

Esther Kia‘aina, a veteran congressional aide and Office of Hawaiian Affairs political advocate, said her years in the halls of Capitol Hill makes her most able to hit the ground running in Washington.

HAWAIINEWSNOW VIDEO »
Hannemann, Gabbard trade jabs in debate

Mufi Hannemann said he was able to separate himself from the pack by reinforcing for voters his record as a former Hono­lulu mayor, Council member and an official at state and federal levels.

Hilo attorney Bob Marx said he won points by showing that he has more knowledge of financial issues than the other candidates as a former member of the Oregon legislature and a negotiator in legal matters.

The incumbent, Mazie Hirono, is giving up her House post to run for the U.S. Senate seat Daniel Akaka is relinquishing.

One recurring theme during the debate was same-sex marriage.

Gabbard's father, state Sen. Mike Gabbard, successfully led the fight against same-sex marriage in the 1990s. She said she will "fight for equality of all Americans regardless of race, gender, age or sexual orientation" and that she supports President Barack Obama's recent position in favor of marriage equality.

Gabbard said she will work to repeal the Defense of Marriage Act by co-sponsoring the Respect for Marriage Act, which would require the federal government to recognize same-sex marriages.

Gabbard, who once spoke at the Legislature against gay rights, said she formulated her latest position after serving in the Army in Af­ghani­stan.

"I've been through some very unique experiences in my life that have really caused me to stand here today with great conviction that I support marriage equality," Gabbard said. "Serving in the Middle East on two tours caused me to see the harshest impacts, the most negative impacts, of what can happen when you have a government that tries to serve as a so-called moral arbiter for its people."

Hannemann, a devout Mormon, said he is struggling with the same-sex marriage issue "because I have my personal views." He said while he continues to support traditional marriage between a man and a woman, he would be willing to listen to those who want to repeal the Defense of Marriage Act.

The repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act "is necessary to ensure uniformity across the country," Kia‘aina said.

Marx said he previously supported only civil unions but that he now thinks "separate but equal is not working" and that he supports marriage equality.

GABBARD WENT on the offensive against Hannemann, her biggest opponent in the primary, accusing him of practicing a "play-for-pay" system of distributing contracts while he was mayor from 2004 to 2010. She pointed to articles showing those who contributed to Hannemann's campaigns were apt to win city contracts.

Hannemann flatly denied any impropriety.

"Every contract was handed out through the state procurement system," he said. "We followed the rules. We followed the regulations."

The debate was sponsored by Hawaii News Now and the Hono­lulu Star-Advertiser.

Under the format, the candidates were able to ask each other questions.

Kia‘aina was asked why she wasn't able to help push through the Akaka Bill, creating a pathway toward federal recognition of Native Hawaiians, despite being an aide to Sen. Akaka and former U.S. Rep. Ed Case.

She responded that a majority of senators supported the Akaka Bill but that in recent years it has been mired in antiquated parliamentary procedures. She said she helped push through legislation fighting brown tree snakes and also the Apology Resolution, recognizing the U.S. role in the overthrow of the Hawaiian monarchy.

Marx was asked about his lack of experience in Hawaii or national politics. He countered that while in the Oregon legislature he was vice chairman of the tax and school finance committee and led a committee on improving the budget process.

"It's been my experience in the legislative process that mostly it's about who gets what, when, where and how," he said.

He said he has spent 32 years as a lawmaker and negotiator, and successfully operated both a law firm and a bookstore.

"I know how to make budgets, and I know about public finance," he said. "I think I can hit the ground running compared to almost any other candidate."

COMMENTS

ejkorvette wrote:
You call the 4 people Candidates? Hawaii/Honolulu is in Bigger Trouble than they know of. But like most the case in Hawaii, Ignorant is Bliss.
on July 13,2012 | 01:55AM
MalamaKaAina wrote:
ANYBODY BUT MUFI AND MAZIE!
on July 13,2012 | 02:13AM
LanaAloha wrote:
I'm supporting Tulsi Gabbard. She's been fighting to protect our aina for years. I saw her on the news cleaning up the beaches that were literally covered with medical waste and garbage by the flooding of the dump Mufi didn't want to close. She is not like Mufi who claims he's an environmentalist but does exactly the opposite. She is out there LIVING IT. She truly cares. I'm so tired of slick politicians who don't stand behind their word.
on July 13,2012 | 04:21AM
James_M wrote:
I thought it was annoying how they focused the debate on social issues. The main issue we face is our flailing economy! I thought Tulsi hit the nail on the head saying the main reason behind the economic collapse is corrupt Wall Street and corrupt politicians. She's right on the money. We need to break up the big banks and start prosecuting the crooks that are ripping of the rest of America.
on July 13,2012 | 06:03AM
I am with Lana. Tulsi is wonderful
on July 13,2012 | 07:21AM
me too
on July 13,2012 | 08:05AM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Honolulu Magazine published an interview with Ben Cayetano in July 2012, the current issue. HM (Honolulu Magazine) asked BC (Ben Cayetano) this: "We said a name, Cayetano said the first thing that popped into his head":

HM: Neal Blaisdell BC: Mayor.

HM: Frank Fasi BC: Mayor.

HM: Eileen Anderson BC: Mayor.

HM: Mufi Hannemann BC: Ed Case got it right: One of the most dangerous politicians there is in Hawai'i. Some of the ruthless things that he does -- run over people, bully people. But smooth, articulate. Incredible. That's what I've concluded about this guy. I see how he's hurt people. The guy's got no class.

HM: Peter Carlisle BC: Friend. I would describe him as a friend. I like Peter. He just hasn't done the job, that's all. Politics is like boxing. When you get into the ring, it's all business.

on July 13,2012 | 09:16AM
fka wrote:
Perfect assessment of Mufi by Cayetano.ANYBODY BUT MUFI!
on July 13,2012 | 10:28AM
username_required wrote:
Jeremy Harris: BRT
on July 13,2012 | 01:31PM
fka wrote:
I agree,vote for Tulsi.She will be the best to serve the citizens of Hawaii.
on July 13,2012 | 10:13AM
true
on July 13,2012 | 01:24PM
ponon wrote:
Agree...I think Tulsi is the one. Definitely not Mufi and Esther didn't impress me.
on July 13,2012 | 04:25PM
Jsato wrote:
When is Mufi going to take down that ridiculous "Standing Tall" Banner!? It's really weird to be so proud of something like how tall you are. We're supposed to vote for him based on that? It reminds me of grade school kids, "I'm tall and you're not! I'm tall and you're not!"
on July 13,2012 | 04:53AM
SamanthaJ wrote:
Tulsi was killin' it in the debate. Very knowledgable on all the issues. The main thing I took away from her though was the idea of "servant leadership". What a refreshing change from the same 'ole, same 'ole. You can tell she actually likes making life better for other people.
on July 13,2012 | 05:22AM
MikaSatomi wrote:
The bottom line is jobs, jobs, jobs and the economy, the economy, the economy! Tulsi's ready to fight against the loopholes and BS that lets corporations and Wall Street gamblers rip off the rest of us. Plus with veteran experience she can best address the military issues facing Hawaii, which are huge.
on July 13,2012 | 07:38AM
kapoleitalkstory wrote:
Oh please she has no experience and no vision. Every time she is pushed for details she talks in flowery phrases and no substance. I can boil down her entire response to - "I served in the military so vote for me." That is not a reason to vote for a person just because they served - you need vision and I have not heard that from her in anything that she has campaigned on.
on July 13,2012 | 08:04AM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
How is her Dad?
on July 13,2012 | 09:20AM
walaau808 wrote:
She made reference to her "two years of military service" no less than 10 times last night...how irritating! I appreciate her military service, but I agree that it takes more than that to be an effective politician. She is losing, and she knows it - and she is saying everything and anything to make everyone else look bad. Unfortunately, she was also backed in to many a corner last night especially when it comes to the same sex marriage question. Kia'aina surprised me last night as very knowledgeable and articulate, and she got some fire in her too! Still don't know who I'm voting for, but only time will tell.
on July 13,2012 | 03:07PM
Jsato wrote:
Nah. Her comments totally showed vision. True leadership means putting people first not political self interest. That's vision.
on July 13,2012 | 05:36PM
allie wrote:
Mufi is a plague on Honolulu but he simply won't let us alone
on July 13,2012 | 07:21AM
Yoshi41 wrote:
It's time for Mufi to retire.
on July 13,2012 | 07:27AM
beachbum11 wrote:
No maybe a good parks keeper at Punaluu
on July 13,2012 | 08:05AM
Jsato wrote:
LOL. Probably he'll just keep playing golf on the HLTA's dime.
on July 13,2012 | 08:27AM
beachbum11 wrote:
Or is it he looks like us? His ads and sayings are real stupid just like
on July 13,2012 | 08:03AM
allie wrote:
Mufi just wants power and money..he could not care less about Hawaii
on July 13,2012 | 08:06AM
allie wrote:
Mufi's ads are noty only dishonest..they are ludicrous
on July 13,2012 | 08:05AM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
It literally means tall. I wonder if HSA would have shown a pic from the other side, instead of taking the pic from Mufi's side, where Mufi towers over everyone. He is 6 foot 7 inches, and by the way, I stood by him within 17 inches of him once, and I talked "small talk" with him. I will not go into details, because I am sure he has a photographic memory and he may "threaten" me later, LOL.
on July 13,2012 | 09:19AM
Jsato wrote:
Yeah I couldn't tell if the photo was part of his ad or the article.
on July 13,2012 | 04:06PM
Maui_Boy wrote:
I respectfully so disagree. The four candidates were all knowledgeable about the issues and Tulsi Gabbard was stunning. My 14-year-old son watched and said, "Wow. Tulsi is a kind-hearted soldier!" Hawaii is indeed fortunate to have a war veteran, former legislator, council member, and former aide to Senator Daniel Akaka willing to take on Congress. Go Tulsi!
on July 13,2012 | 04:34AM
Workingrl wrote:
Yeah but how long was she in each position? so far only 18 months as council member.
on July 13,2012 | 07:20AM
sluggah wrote:
I think that qualifies her more than a professional politician. We don't need any more attorneys and politicians in congress, that's a reason we're in this mess.
on July 13,2012 | 08:02AM
beachbum11 wrote:
And how long was the president in congress? Same smell.
on July 13,2012 | 08:06AM
kapoleitalkstory wrote:
Being a soldier is not a reason to vote for someone! She was the least effective member of the legislature and the only bill she can hang her hat on for the city council is the anti-houseless bill. So not a very stellar list of accomplishments.
on July 13,2012 | 08:06AM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Watch and make your decision carefully you guys, because this will be your new representative for two and possibly more years. Hawaii has a history of electing a representative and staying with that person. Personally, I saw Tulsi on a street corner with a red carnation lei, as she was waving to get our votes prior to her election to her Council Seat. Tulsi represents my council district.
on July 13,2012 | 09:24AM
SamanthaJ wrote:
I thought Mufi was going to be this expert debater but he was awkward. It looked like when Tulsi called him out for his "pay to play" politics he lost his confidence. I mean, what can he say? His backroom deals are all coming out in the open and he can't hide from it.
on July 13,2012 | 05:12AM
allie wrote:
true and that fraud Mufi was giggling as he knows he has it wrapped up with Campbell Esate money and the rich behind him
on July 13,2012 | 07:20AM
Ken_Conklin wrote:
Article says "Other candidates in next month's Demo cratic primary are attorney Rafael Del Castillo of Hawaii Kai and Miles Shi ra tori of Kaneohe. The two people vying for the 2nd District's Republican nomination are Kawika Crowley of Hilo and Matthew DeGeronimo of Hawaii Kai." At the beginning of the debate the moderator briefly mentioned that there are those 4 other candidates; but gave no explanation at all for why they were not included in the debate. An explanation was very much needed. If the criterion is "they have no chance of winning, so ignore them" then Bob Marx should have also been excluded.
on July 13,2012 | 07:34AM
pakeheat wrote:
So true Ken, these four have liberal views and I probably will not now vote for any of them.
on July 13,2012 | 07:54AM
true..kinda curious
on July 13,2012 | 08:07AM
LMO wrote:
"Mufi Hannemann said he was able to separate himself from the pack by reinforcing for voters his record as a former Hono­lulu mayor.." Pitiful record. And all he can say is I'm taller than the other candidates.
on July 13,2012 | 02:01AM
sailaway wrote:
This one also really got me. Mufi's record as a former Mayor is a record of giving orders and not listening to others. Even Colleen Hanabusa, who I have never heard criticize anyone, by the way, said that no matter what anyone says, Mufi has always had a "my way or the highway" working style. Actually, I have heard a handful of elected officials call Mufi a bully. The fact is, his experience as a Mayor with a dictorial approach is not experience that will make him effective in Congress. To be an effective legislator, you need to be able to listen, be respectful because you have to build consensus with the other 400 something legislators. Mufi may have been Mayor, but he simply does not have the qualities needed to be an effective representative in a legislative body like Congress.
on July 13,2012 | 03:16AM
LanaAloha wrote:
Pitiful record is a kind way of saying it. Does everyone remember Mufi dumping millions of gallons of raw sewage into the Ala Wai? Our famous Waikiki beaches were on television everywhere around the world -- covered in poop. The news stations started doing "poop reports." And he says he's going to promote tourism????? Some poor guy actually DIED as a result of the whole fiasco when got the flesh-eating bacteria.
on July 13,2012 | 04:40AM
sheyn wrote:
Come on. Sewer was over due for repair before mufi got elected. For decades every mayor has ignored our sewers and water mains and look how much trouble we are in now. That sewer leak was not mufi's fault. Bad luck it happened on his watch. You make it sound like mufi got a jack hammer and went in there and ruptured the sewer line to pollute Waikiki.
on July 13,2012 | 06:31AM
Yoshi41 wrote:
He purposefully ignored warnings that the sewer line was in "critical" condition. When he dumped the raw sewage, he didn't consult environmental experts, he just dumped. Then despite all the problems he continued to FIGHT the EPA (spending $10 milion for a mainland lawyer) and environmental groups, refusing to fix the issue and sticking us with the $1.2 billion bill. Don't you think it would have made more sense to invest money in SOLVING the problem instead of investing money in refusing to solve the problem?
on July 13,2012 | 06:53AM
sheyn wrote:
The pipe was assessed in 2004 as being very critical. Mufi was sworn in as mayor January 2005. You're right he did not fix it and it ruptured. But he is in a large group of mayors that ignore these problems. Like I said it happened on his watch, bad luck for him. Many mayors have gambled with this, mufi lost.
on July 13,2012 | 07:23AM
Yoshi41 wrote:
That's the problem - when it's "normal" to gamble on huge disasters rather than take care of them.
on July 13,2012 | 07:29AM
sheyn wrote:
"That contrasts with the situation in March, when a pipe ruptured following weeks of heavy rain and resulted in the state's largest recorded raw sewage spill. With no backup or bypass available, Mayor Mufi Hannemann was faced then with a choice of sending raw sewage into the canal or risking it backing up into hotels, homes and businesses." http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2006/Nov/22/ln/FP611220369.html Here is his decision in 2006. Stuck between a rock and a hard place. Not a decision any mayor would like to have. Yes, in hindsight installing a bypass or fixing it immediately would have been great. Would have also been nice I'd mayor Harris fixed it in 2004 right?
on July 13,2012 | 07:29AM
inverse wrote:
All Mufi had to do was actually implement his action plan that he presented to the EPA one year PRIOR to the Ala Wai force main sewage spill. For someone who attended Harvard, seems kind of stooooopid. From just one sewage article from the Star Bullet, I know on Oahu there are two types of sewage mains, gravity feed and force main. A leak from a gravity feed sewage main is slow while a leak from a force main which is under pressure, if not fixed quickly, will spill thousands, then millions of gallons of sewage if it is not fixed in a few hours. All Mufi had to do was meet with his sewage department and ask "guys, what is the worst case scenario?". They would immediately tell Mufi it is a force main leak and if it is not repaired quickly would be a disaster as there is no bypass routes for many of the force mains. Next question Mufi should have asked is "if one of the force mains broke, how long would it take you guys to fix it?" They would say "long time, because all the old force main pipes have varying diameters and we have no specialized equipment on site to handle such force main repair and no procedure or specialized team to work out the procedures beforehand." Mufi, IF he was doing his job as Mayor of Oahu would say, "boys, I need to implement my sewage action plan that I presented to the EPA and you guys need to identify a plan for spill mitigation for all the most vulnerable force mains AND identify the equipment you will need to make a quick repair and I will provide the money for you guys to buy the specialized equipment needed for a force main repair. Of course Mufi would have never gone through this scenario cause he was ONLY FOCUSED on the rail project and NOT Oahu's sewage problems. Therefore Mufi IS AT FAULT for the 50 million gallon raw sewage spill of the Ala Wai force main.
on July 13,2012 | 12:49PM
sheyn wrote:
Yes I agree that ignoring what needs to be done is a huge problem. Hopefully he learned if he wins this election.
on July 13,2012 | 07:32AM
WillN wrote:
The city had a large discussion with over 50 individuals and groups at the table to discuss the possible solutions to the sewage problem when it occurred. There were only 2 options, release it into the ocean or have it backup into all the homes, hotels, and businesses across Waikiki. For the State, and for Honolulu, it was better to dump it into the ocean as it would dissipate in a less harmful manner than on land. Also, unlike your claims, it was the better of the two choices for our tourism industry because it didnt backup into all the hotels and so forth where people could actually see, smell, and be covered in. The City actually SETTLED the suit. Glad to help you become informed, hope you understand the realities of this situation instead of making things up.
on July 13,2012 | 11:27AM
beachbum11 wrote:
But crapp happened on his watch. And he did nothing.
on July 13,2012 | 08:10AM
allie wrote:
Mufi has dumped on Oahu his entire career
on July 13,2012 | 08:34AM
inverse wrote:
The first day Mufi became mayor he was warned of the Oahu sewage ticking time bomb. One year PRIOR to the 50 million gallon raw sewage spill he was summoned to the EPA office in San Francisco and was required to explain to them how he would handle the sewage problem on Oahu. He submitted a very detailed report, INCLUDING addressing sewage "spill mitigation", unfortunately Mufi did NOT attempt to implement his sewage action plan and instead spent all of his and other city employees and resources on RAIL. If Mufi had done his job as Mayor and worked on addressing sewage problems and NOT his train to nowhere, the sewage spill would have only been in the thousands and not MILLIONS of gallons.
on July 13,2012 | 12:28PM
Workingrl wrote:
Would you have preferred that they let it back up into the hotels and businesses?? Sewer was in disrepair cuz previous administrations raided sewer funds.
on July 13,2012 | 07:22AM
Yoshi41 wrote:
I would have preferred he address the problem when he was warned about it. I would also have preferred he fix the problem after the fact rather than sticking us with a $1.2 billion bill because he adamantly refused to do anything about it.
on July 13,2012 | 07:30AM
WillN wrote:
Also, just like other people are informing you and you like to pretend to not understand, these pipes were laid out in the 1940s and on, they aren't brand new pipes and were ready to burst at any time. In fact, the city JUST finished the permanent fixes to it 2 weeks ago. The are still in badshape across the island, and the Waikiki ones were in bad shape for years prior. If you remember or know, the Harris administration spent over a billion to beautify Waikiki instead of fixing the sewer pipes. It is unfortunate that this has occurred, but as it is public record it takes years or adjustment to fix the pipes and the burst occurred within 1.5 years of the new administration. Unless you are just a single issue and closed minded voter, you may also remember that the City tried to raise sewer fees under Hannemann when he came into office--against public wishes--over a year before the pipe burst occurred. http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2005/Mar/02/ln/ln06p.html Once again, glad to help you become educated on the history. If you still have something to vent about the sewer issues, you can complain about the years of neglect by the previous City administrations.
on July 13,2012 | 11:35AM
Jsato wrote:
We know the piper were antiquated. That's why they needed to be fixed! So why did her refuse to implement his own plan as inverse says below.
on July 13,2012 | 05:39PM
inverse wrote:
The entire city of Honolulu would have preferred for Mufi to actually implement his sewage action plan, that included "spill mitigation", that he presented to the EPA in San Francisco one year PRIOR to the Ala Wai force main break.
on July 13,2012 | 01:02PM
kailuabred wrote:
Accurate post! Mufi was my basketball coach at 'Iolani back in 77-78. He had the same management style back then. We had good talent, but underperformed because of his horrible coaching.
on July 13,2012 | 04:52AM
Jsato wrote:
Yeah from what I was reading about him this is a long term problem. So many politicians openly can't stand him - people who would normally keep their mouths shut for propriety's sake. If he got elected, I can see the other members of Congress running away from him as he walks down the hallway. LOL. So much for building relationships there. President Obama would have to try to escape Mufi's photo-op attempts like when Mufi tried to weasle in when poor President Obama was trying to take a nice vacation here in Hawaii. Ha ha. Anyway, I think Mufi's time is up. People are done with the pay to play and incompetence.
on July 13,2012 | 05:09AM
colching wrote:
I remember that basketball team, You guys underperformed because you guys were not that good! The coach desn't play the game. Look at the Miami Heat. Their head coach came out of the film room. But the cream rises to the top, in spite of the lousy coaching. Easy to blame the coach. Grow up! It's been over 30 years.
on July 13,2012 | 11:49AM
walaau808 wrote:
Hahahahaha, great point!
on July 13,2012 | 03:13PM
allie wrote:
mufi was and is in the pocket of rich bankers and developers. Does anyone not know that by now?
on July 13,2012 | 08:07AM
beachbum11 wrote:
Or any other government position
on July 13,2012 | 08:09AM
MalamaKaAina wrote:
ANYBODY BUT MUFI AND MAZIE!
on July 13,2012 | 02:13AM
sailaway wrote:
Where do I start? the things that came out of Mufi's mouth tonight were funny. he says he was an "official" at the federal level???? Please fact check that. He served as an aide or assistant to two Republican administrations--both George W. Bush AND George H.W. Bush. He was never an elected official at the federal level. Mufi, please let me offer some advice. Don't make up stuff to try to make yourself look better. It makes you look even worse. We're not stupid.
on July 13,2012 | 03:08AM
WillN wrote:
There is a difference: A government official or functionary is an official who is involved in public administration or government, through either election, appointment, selection, or employment. A bureaucrat is a member of the bureaucracy. An elected official is a person who is an official by virtue of an election. Official does not only mean elected official, have you ever used or heard the term "official business" applying to only elected politicians?
on July 13,2012 | 11:38AM
Jsato wrote:
I think last night's debate will solidify that decision on Mufi for a lot of people.
on July 13,2012 | 04:54AM
8082062424 wrote:
I agree. but mufi will take lot of the local folks vote
on July 13,2012 | 06:14AM
allie wrote:
he has the rich backing him
on July 13,2012 | 07:22AM
8082062424 wrote:
he may have some rich supports , but most of the local folks are far from rich and he will get there votes. The Samoan community is far from rich also.
on July 13,2012 | 07:47AM
sheyn wrote:
There is nothing wrong with being rich.
on July 13,2012 | 07:48AM
allie wrote:
depends on how you made it. Our rich made it with special legislative and CC favors. Or many did
on July 13,2012 | 08:37AM
8082062424 wrote:
Our rich?
on July 13,2012 | 08:58AM
8082062424 wrote:
And keep in mind these 4 are going to split the vote. lot of groups will impact who wins
on July 13,2012 | 09:00AM
colching wrote:
I agree. Mufi will become the next congressman from the 2nd Congressional District.
on July 13,2012 | 03:44PM
JJMoore wrote:
I was on the fence on this race before, but after seeing Tulsi steal the show, I am completely 100% behind her. She showed that she has the compassion, the courage, and the character to represent Hawaii in Washington. No one came close, not even Mufi, who I expected to dominate.
on July 13,2012 | 03:51AM
Maui_Boy wrote:
Finally! We have a candidate for congress who makes me feeling like voting! Tulsi Gabbard in last night’s debate was so likeable and so well-informed and sincere that I am going to go out today and register to vote. This is a young woman—an Army captain no less!—who will do Hawaii proud for years to come.
on July 13,2012 | 04:28AM
Wazdat wrote:
oh brah yesterday was the last day to register. a bit too late for primary.
on July 13,2012 | 07:50AM
IAmSane wrote:
LOL Maui_Boy is fail.
on July 13,2012 | 08:05PM
loquaciousone wrote:
Mufi Handyman standing tall on the bones of our ancestors in Kakaako.
on July 13,2012 | 04:35AM
Jsato wrote:
He'll stand on anything if he thinks it will get him where he wants to go.
on July 13,2012 | 05:04AM
loquaciousone wrote:
I wonder why mufi doesn't tout his record on how he force fed the rail down taxpayers throats and how he was able to award hundred of millions of dollars in contracts to his friends and supporters? This sounds like PAY TO PLAY to me. What happened to COMPARE AND DECIDE -- I LOOK LIKE YOU AND YOU LOOK LIKE ME?
on July 13,2012 | 04:40AM
Jsato wrote:
It's pay to play alright. The thing that gets me is in other states he'd probably be behind bars by now. He's just counting on playing the kind 'ole Uncle Mufi routine and figuring people are too dumb to remember all the CORRUPTION and CHAOS that surrounds everything he does. He can smile for the cameras but we all know it's cut-throat behind Fortunately, it's not working. His only hope is to try to get enough people to vote for Esther to divide votes from Tulsi and squeak in. It could happen if the anti-Mufsters don't rally behind Tulsi.
on July 13,2012 | 05:03AM
localpoi wrote:
I agree anybody but Mufi. "Both Kia‘aina and Marx said they would co-sponsor the Respect for Marriage Act. Both criticized Gabbard for changing her position on civil unions and same-sex marriage." If Tulsi changed her position for the better, why should she be criticized?
on July 13,2012 | 05:27AM
onevoice82 wrote:
Because when we vote for candidates, we expect them to take a position and stick with it. I do not think she changed her position for the better, so if I voted for her based on her old position and then she didn't vote in line with that vision later on, I would not trust her anymore and now I do not trust her anymore. Soft, gentle and cute, does not a good candidate make! We need tough. Mufi is tough, but I wouldn't give him the time of day either. Guess I am voting R on this one!
on July 13,2012 | 05:45AM
kiragirl wrote:
Because it makes her wishy washy. At least Mufi stood on his principals regarding marriage between one man and one woman. I respect him for that! He also stood tall on the abortion issue. Rather you agree with his ideals or not, at least he did not flip flop like Tulsi. Heck, she made a highlight of her lunch wagon bill. Wow! My analysis is all four of them were good. Tulsi tried to go after Mufi and it showed a bit of desperation on her part. Who I will vote for? Anybody but Tulsi.
on July 13,2012 | 05:47AM
Wazdat wrote:
hahaha standing tall, funny. Mofee will NEVER get elected in this state again!
on July 13,2012 | 07:52AM
slink wrote:
I believe she stated that she changed her mind after life experiences (military) caused her to rethink her position. I'm not sure that's a bad thing. I'd like to thnk that I have learned from life experiences and am willing to change as a result. I need to find out more about her before she gets my vote, but at least I'm willing to look.
on July 13,2012 | 10:59AM
colching wrote:
Actually, I believe Tulsi Gabbard changed her mind when she realized that she was gay herself. Nothing wrong with that but she should be honest about it and let her constituents know. Heck, that might spring her into Congress.
on July 13,2012 | 11:57AM
LanaAloha wrote:
I heard Mufi's getting so desperate he's trying to spread rumors she's gay. That's sad. It shows how disrespectful he is to GLBT people that he thinks he can smear her that way. I guess it's like when he tried to trash Abercrombie. Didn't work though. He's a slow learner.
on July 13,2012 | 06:18PM
LanaAloha wrote:
I agree. It takes humility to have a change of heart on a contentious issue and come forward with that. Leaders should be applauded for that, not criticized. Besides, Mufi claimed he was consistent but he was NOT consistent. In the gubernatorial race, he wouldn't even give an answer on civil unions until he came under so much pressure. Now he's saying he'd "sit down" with people from the other side but then he says he'd stand by marriage, etc. It was a bunch of political double-speak.
on July 13,2012 | 05:52AM
DowntownGreen wrote:
I wouldn't want to vote for ANYONE who was incapable of learning and changing their mind.
on July 13,2012 | 05:58AM
LanaAloha wrote:
So true. How many politicians "stick to their guns" just to try to save face rather than because it makes sense or it's even what they really believe.
on July 13,2012 | 06:07AM
hawaiikone wrote:
Or maybe because that's the platform they stood on when they were elected by us? The last thing I want is someone that will not represent my concerns, the same ones that they stood for initially to earn my vote.
on July 13,2012 | 06:33AM
Yoshi41 wrote:
City Council has nothing to do with the issue. Congress does. She's putting her stance out now while running for Congress.
on July 13,2012 | 06:54AM
hawaiikone wrote:
And who's to say she won't flip again once elected? Which is my point...
on July 13,2012 | 03:05PM
kiragirl wrote:
Humility equates to getting votes. Seems like she will say anything to get votes!
on July 13,2012 | 06:05AM
sheyn wrote:
Not really double speak. Laws are not created by 1 person. Mufi upholding the law even if it is against his personal beliefs is commendable. Now if it comes up again in congress you know what side he is on. At least you know where he stands on issues. a wishy washy politician is a lobbyist's dream and the general public's nightmare. We seem to be condemning people for their beliefs and opinions and sticking to them. Politicians are supposed to be decision makers.
on July 13,2012 | 06:23AM
Yoshi41 wrote:
Mufi's main problem is he's completely corrupt and Mufi's for Mufi. I think we already know Mufi is a lobbyist's dream. They donate $50,000 and then get $700 million in contracts in return. What a lucrative investment for them! I can only imagine how much money the big corporations would make off taxpayers' shoulders if Mufi was elected to Congress.
on July 13,2012 | 07:18AM
allie wrote:
Mufi is really the epitome of arrogance. He keeps running hoping to fool us. He is totally corrupt
on July 13,2012 | 07:53AM
"Manipulative Mufi."

Trademarked that.

on July 13,2012 | 09:25AM
Jsato wrote:
You'll get rich on that. LOL.
on July 13,2012 | 11:10AM
James_M wrote:
If Mufi really had any integrity, he'd run as a Republican because he's a Republican through and through. He doesn't support the Democratic platform. He's against the environment. He's for big corporations. He worked for 2 Republican administrations, he considered running as a Republican against Patsy Mink, his friends and advisors are Republican (think the infamous Keith Rollman) and he was even busted for holding a Republican fundraiser in this election in Guam.
on July 13,2012 | 07:22AM
kiragirl wrote:
He is a conservative so yes, I agree with you.
on July 13,2012 | 07:34AM
conservative? Not likely. He is all about what is good for Mufi
on July 13,2012 | 07:54AM
sheyn wrote:
You tell me which candidate has integrity.
on July 13,2012 | 07:37AM
true
on July 13,2012 | 07:23AM
hawaiikone wrote:
Tulsi should indeed be dismissed as a viable candidate. Much too convenient to change positions when it would seem to follow the popular trend. One doesn't change their mind over an issue like this using such simplistic reasoning. Being a young attractive well spoken candidate may generate support, but we need someone with viable experience and a committed set of values.
on July 13,2012 | 06:17AM
Teflon Tulsi.

I trademarked that.

on July 13,2012 | 09:24AM
DonkeyCurl wrote:
Oh please, like you are so holy! We all change our mine because of new information that we take in. Mufi had his chance, let the new blood run with it!
on July 13,2012 | 09:47AM
gth wrote:
Have you ever been out-of-state, in a war zone. Have you seen your brother or sister come back as him or her same ole self. Leaving this "rock" changes you. Whether good or bad. I don't care whether Mufi is this or that, but after the debate I'll vote for Tulsi. We need fresh "young" faces with new ideas at the federal level. Someone who will stick around and in the future be the new "Dan Inouye" . GO TULSI!
on July 13,2012 | 10:29AM
hawaiikone wrote:
To answer your question, yes. Vietnam. And I saw several of my friends come back different. Dead. My faith was deepened by my service, not compromised.
on July 13,2012 | 03:11PM
hawaiikone wrote:
To answer your question, yes. Vietnam. And I did see many of my friends return differently. Dead. My faith was deepened by my service, not compromised.
on July 13,2012 | 03:25PM
kapoleitalkstory wrote:
Well there is no PROOF of this change - all we have from her is talk. Action speak louder than words and in this case she is deafening silent.
on July 13,2012 | 08:08AM
Malani wrote:
How is it for the better? Read the history of why Sodom and Gomorrah was destroyed.
on July 13,2012 | 10:02AM
ebo wrote:
A vet, in the rear with the gear, should not qualify for the U.S. Congress. No experience to make laws for WE THE PEOPLE. No education in business or law other than being in the rear with the gear. So just exactly did she do with the army that provides any U. S. Congress qualifications. This is not a best looking contest.
on July 13,2012 | 05:48AM
kailua000 wrote:
Obama didnt have any experience. I'd rather have a vet who served his or her country, than a community organizer who won because he's charasmatic, not because of his experience.
on July 13,2012 | 05:55AM
sheyn wrote:
Tulsi is not a vet that went into politics. She was raised by politicians, became one at 21 THEN joined the guard (probably a political move). Just so happened they got put into active duty. Now not going would have been political suicide so you can look at it for what it is. Pumping up a political resume. I hope she is honest, but she could be our worst nightmare. I for one Am undecided.
on July 13,2012 | 06:11AM
Yoshi41 wrote:
I can understand how you feel "sheyn" because so many politicians are like that. But I've met Tulsi and she is not like that. Other people who meet her can see she is the real deal. She has a lot of info on her site: http://www.votetulsi.com. Her support is grassroots and from people who know her. I saw recently 70% of donations to her are from individual contributions $100 or under. Compare that to Mufi - it's like 10% for him. He's funded by big corporations and businesses seeking favors.
on July 13,2012 | 07:01AM
sheyn wrote:
It alarms me that so many of her views have done a 180 in an election year. I know it is politics, but it does raise concern. Maybe her opinions or views have changed before this. I do not know. I will check out her website and make my decision after I am more informed.
on July 13,2012 | 07:40AM
allie wrote:
At UH we are all voting for Tulsi. She is the best person running this year
on July 13,2012 | 07:55AM
8082062424 wrote:
I doubt that i help out at stem center at kcc and no quite a few folks at uh more staff and they do not all support . in fact it seem to be split even between mufi tulsi and Kia'aina. and that staff and students
on July 13,2012 | 08:56AM
allie wrote:
Kia"aina may not want to represent all citizens. Isn't she a sovereignty person? I cannot vote for anyone like that
on July 13,2012 | 01:31PM
8082062424 wrote:
Where did you see her say that last night? Is it because she was oha? pretty small minded of you a person can stand for many things not just one. If im right your a student studying at UH . you use the word us and our a lot but the fact is you really not. no insult meant Most folks who want a good leader in this office is because it impacts there home there family.Grandparents parents grand children .Guess what some of them are native Hawaiians . You very anti on any thing native Hawaiian, And all you are is a visitor.
on July 13,2012 | 01:54PM
hawaiikone wrote:
allie, Kia'aina is obviously the best candidate, but probably won't win.
on July 13,2012 | 06:45PM
hawaiikone wrote:
allie, you have no clue about who's voting for who.
on July 13,2012 | 06:44PM
James_M wrote:
I agree. It's not rocket science; it's your motivation that counts. From everything I've seen, Tulsi's motivated to serve. Not to mention she does have an impressive amount of experience.
on July 13,2012 | 06:32AM
LanaAloha wrote:
She served in the State Legislature and worked as a legislative aid for Senator Akaka - how is that no legislative experience? As far as looks, who cares whether someone is attractive or unattractive. It's irrelevant to legislating.
on July 13,2012 | 06:18AM
kailua000 wrote:
Pink. whats it with Pink. Red is a power color. LOL thats all I could think of, they all had on pink.
on July 13,2012 | 05:53AM
sheyn wrote:
Wow tulsi supporters wake up early. None of the four will make an impact in their first term. Especially in a republican dominated house. Now I am leaning towards tulsi but one thing I am wondering, if your unit is put on active duty and deployed, how is tulsi going too considered "volunteering"? Can anyone clear that up for me.
on July 13,2012 | 05:54AM
allie wrote:
Mufi is powerless hon. he won't even be taken seriously in DC. Tulsi will
on July 13,2012 | 07:55AM
LanaAloha wrote:
The unit she is in right not is not a deployable unit.
on July 14,2012 | 04:53PM
W_Williams wrote:
I watched the debate. I disagree that gay marriage dominated. I did think Mufi got bus' up; that Tulsi Gabbard was the most articulate, confident, and informed. Bob Marx? What? Being Hawaiian is a state of mind? Being Bob Marx is a state of confusion.
on July 13,2012 | 06:03AM
pakeheat wrote:
I was planning to vote for B. Marx, but after the debate I will not vote for any of the four, because of their liberal views. I wished they had the other 4 candidates also.
on July 13,2012 | 08:10AM
Malani wrote:
I agree with you. Those check marks I'll leave blank too.
on July 13,2012 | 10:06AM
true..she made Mufi look bad
on July 13,2012 | 08:38AM
HEARTOHEART wrote:
The main point about TULSI (as pointed out in the debate ) is that before this election she was anti gay in the military ...anti gay marriage ...just like her father(the most homophobic politician in the history of Hawaii ) .and their guru Chris Buler who leads the most homophobic religious organisation in Hawaii Her born again gay lover sentiments and declarations are just to convenient to show up now in 2012..and be truthfull Her political machine mostly finance by the same bakers of her bigot father are still all ANTI GAY everything. Do not be mesmerise by her good look ...she would say anything to get to congress.
on July 13,2012 | 06:42AM
Anton wrote:
Talk about bigotry. Typically Mufi's dirty tricks - try to go after Tulsi's religion. Anyone who bashes someone based on their religion is the ultimate bigot. Would you like it if we bashed you for being a French Canadian guy who is trying to start his own hypnotherapist and "rebirthing" religion?
on July 13,2012 | 07:21AM
Mufi's God is Mufi hon. He is a religion all to himself
on July 13,2012 | 07:57AM
Jsato wrote:
LOL. That's true; maybe he and HEARTOHEART can get together to work on it.
on July 13,2012 | 08:33AM
kailua000 wrote:
you can be anti gay and then do what your constituants want. thats what we pay our so called leaders to do, vote the way the population wants them to vote. We pay them to do a job, thats what they should do.
on July 13,2012 | 06:14PM
loquaciousone wrote:
After this debate, I've made up my mind to vote for jjd'a3#$^ and maybe #%^$@#@ if #%@#@! can make a more compelling argument to #G T $$ the rail and m#rqj[jv'.
on July 13,2012 | 06:57AM
I am for Tulsi. Mufi is a threat to honolulu
on July 13,2012 | 07:23AM
FrankieT wrote:
You got that right, way to go
on July 13,2012 | 07:33AM
HEARTOHEART wrote:
There as never been in the history of Hawaii a women that as use the army uniforms as TULSI does in her numerous videos .(look at me in this uniform and now it that other uniform !!...Her veteran endorsment from VOTEVETS (a 6 year old scam organisation funded by the like of the sierra club ) is a shamefull exploitation of the word VETERAN She was raise in the Hare Krishna Chris Butler cult .....a cult famous for being anti gay ..anti military and playing dirty political games such as trying to entrap senator INOUYE in a sex scandal . Anyone that as made a deep investigation of the Gabbard famaly and its relation with the cult financing their political campaigns knows is all a big deceiving show...even if the actrice is a good looking divorce.
on July 13,2012 | 06:58AM
turbolink wrote:
Agree. As a 29 year veteran I took offense at Ms Gabbard’s near nightly press events to give the latest status of her decision to deploy with her unit or take her seat in the Hawaii legislature. She touts it as leadership. A leader makes a decision and acts, doesn’t call frequent news conferences to build the drama of her pending sacrifice. Military officer professionalism shuns mixing the uniform with politics, but she does it at every opportunity. I am uncomfortable with those who would exploit the military institution for personal gain.
on July 13,2012 | 07:23AM
pakeheat wrote:
Thank you for you're dedication and service to the military, God Bless!
on July 13,2012 | 08:14AM
allie wrote:
Inouye has a v ery dark record hon. His days of lording it over us will be ending as his power fades
on July 13,2012 | 07:24AM
sheyn wrote:
Mufi is threat, inouye has a dark record. Anything on Obama? Tulsi for prez maybe. Geeez Allie.
on July 13,2012 | 07:45AM
allie wrote:
Tulsi is the real thing. She is smart, educated and hard working. We need more like ehr to run
on July 13,2012 | 07:56AM
flying1431 wrote:
Tulsi evaded answering the Neighborhood board question as she has not been attending the meetings since she is campaigning. She has conveniently changed her position on same sex marriage to benefit her during this campaign. She is pretty slick but don't buy into the message and her looks.
on July 13,2012 | 07:05AM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
The answer to how many neighborhood board meetings Teflon Tulsi attended is somewhere around 10%. Truth would have tarnished the teflon, so she prevaricated. That will come back to haunt.
on July 13,2012 | 09:21AM
LanaUlulani wrote:

NONE of them are qualified to serve the people of Hawai'i.

Tulasi Gabbard introduced Bill 54 which allows local and state government to INTIMIDATE and HARASS less fortunate PEOPLE.

Matt DiGeronimo may be a newcomer but he is the MOST qualified and was not invited to this debate.

on July 13,2012 | 07:05AM
Lana the whacko
on July 13,2012 | 07:56AM
kertime wrote:
Actually I think the clear winner last night was not Tulsi, Mufi, or Marx- Esther clearly dominated... the media has missed the mark in under-representing her. If Tulsi wins it will show that given a big enough TV campaign and the right headshots, the least experienced, probably the least educated, an office can be bought.
on July 13,2012 | 07:32AM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
Esther ended up being the most likable.. She was certainly nor trying to be teflon like Tulsi or manipulative like Mufi. (Bob's irrelevant after last night's mumbling debacle.)

Realisticlly, Esther has zero chance though. Zero. She has no high powered supporters, no organization, no resources. She is cursed with a horrid speaking voice and technique. She came across as the "ethnic option" which alienates a lot of the electorate. The killer question was why after 20 years (during which time Esther was working her experience) did the Akaka Bill fail to get traction. She flubbed the answer which should have been easy.

Esther's biggest contribution last night was throwing support to Mufi. His little manipulation technique trapped her into saying kind things about the competition, a fatal error. Say aloha, Esther and thanks for playing.

on July 13,2012 | 09:18AM
Onipaa_Porter wrote:
After reading all of these comments, I have come to the conclusion that you guys wasnt watching the same show as me. Cuz I saw Esther Kiaaina get up, stand up, and dominate that debate. She was cool, professional, and touts a record of achievement in Washington that the other candidates cant hold a candle to. To all you "I met Tulsi and shes a great person" commentators: your comments are like your signs: WAY too many and each exactly the same. Why would you support a cardboard cutout like her when a real woman was two podiums away? Tulsi knowledgeable? Her response to "you do not attend neighborhood meetings" was "I saved the food trucks." She repeatedly dodged other questions, same as Hannemann.
on July 13,2012 | 07:39AM
pakeheat wrote:
They all support Obama, Hmmmmmmm hard choice? LOL
on July 13,2012 | 08:16AM
WizardOfMoa wrote:
Wow! There are others beside our family's observation what a surprise Esther Kiaaina turn out to be - a knowledgeable and experienced person. Never heard of her till last night debate and we were very impressed by her achievements and her presentation. She reminded us of the late Patsy Mink. As for Ms Tulsi she lost our votes when she could have made an impact with a decisive yes or no to the line of credit requested to insure the federal funds for the rail. Voting " yes with reservation" is a cop out from being totally committed to one's belief and responsibilities. She led us to believe a "No" vote was forthcoming from her.
on July 13,2012 | 08:45AM
WillN wrote:
Esther was spectacular last night. Really demonstrated that there is an alternative to Mufi for those who are voting solely against Mufi. At first, people only seemed to know about the Councilmember, but last night gave Ms. Kiaaina the opportunity to show that she is immensely more qualified than the the Councilmember. Anybody who watched the debate with an open mind could see that she did great and experience does matter for our next congressperson.
on July 13,2012 | 11:48AM
sailaway wrote:
Wow, maybe we weren't watching the same debate? Esther is a shrill bureacrat who clearly had made some pact with Mufi, throwing him softball questions and even setting him up to claim he wished he hadn't run against the beloved Patsy Mink 25 years ago. Patsy would have been appalled at Mufi's bs.The only real person in the debate was Tulsi Gabbard. Let's see, should we send to Congress another career politician who will become part of the problem in Washington or should we send a war veteran who will kick a** and clean up Congress? Now there's an easy decision:)
on July 13,2012 | 08:45AM
Gene_Park wrote:
If Esther and Mufi are in cahoots, wouldn't that suggest that Bob Marx is also in cahoots with Mufi, based on the heavyhanded bombs he lobbed Tulsi's way? I was quite taken aback at how strong his language was toward her, and he kinda piled it on.
on July 13,2012 | 10:53AM
McCully wrote:
On some parts of the debate, Mufi looks so irritated he wanted to punch out somebody. That's the Mufi I know, a bully.
on July 13,2012 | 07:40AM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
That actually would be a positive in Congress. A frosh congressman from a tiny state has little power to do anything. That is why Tulasi's claim to end the war and protect Social Security sounds so naive. Mufi does know a lot of folks in DC and is one tough SOB. We really do not need a get along, consensus, smile kind of representative; we need someone who will fight tooth and nail to get more than we actually deserve (we take more in entitlements than we give in taxes).

It pains me to say t because I am not a supporter but realpolitik dictates that the tall guy is actually the best of the bunch - I wish we had a better bunch.

on July 13,2012 | 09:12AM
Jsato wrote:
You can't get squat done in Washington if people don't like you. What's he going to do, bully the speaker of the House and the president? Half the people who have worked with him out and out can't STAND the guy. He'd be an empty vote for corporate corruption. Can you imagine Colleen Hanabusa having to work with him if she's elected? Notorious bad blood there.
on July 13,2012 | 11:17AM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
"Like" and "Politics" have absolutely nothing to do with each other.
on July 13,2012 | 12:51PM
Wazdat wrote:
How come not 1 question from the panel about RAIL or TRANSPORTATION in oahu and outer islands ? kinda weak
on July 13,2012 | 07:44AM
Publicbraddah wrote:
I was thinking the same thing. How come none of the other candidates called out Mufi on why he's been sooooo quiet on his rail project. Strange.
on July 13,2012 | 08:36AM
Jsato wrote:
True. That is out and out ridiculous. An obvious attempt to help Mufi. Guess they like his TALL advertising budget.
on July 13,2012 | 11:17AM
Yoshi1941 wrote:
The moderators should have asked that question.
on July 13,2012 | 06:03PM
Lanikaula wrote:
The BEST answers came from Esther KIA'AINA, period! NONE of the others have her experience in Congress. She was on the mark and answered intelligently and with the confidence of experience. From the sounds of ALL/MOST of the bloggers it seems you're all voting superficially, you know the 'popular thang' kinda vote. Mufi & Tulsi WERE the popular candidates w/Marx, the 'outsider' soooo off, especially with his comment that "being Hawaiian is a STATE OF MIND! HOW RUDE & RACIST! She handled the answers assertively and with knowledge of how the 'system' works in Congress. Better think again voters/bloggers about your vote. NONE of the bloggers here apparently saw or heard Esther's focused mana'o and experience on ALL the issues. The 'popular vote or 'looks' may win, but you won't get the right candidate...Esther KIA'AINA for Congress!
on July 13,2012 | 07:51AM
right!
on July 13,2012 | 07:57AM
hawaiikone wrote:
How can you so quickly flip? Read your own posts, hon. Just a few posts ago you claimed you and everyone at UH was voting Tulsi. What a piece of work...
on July 13,2012 | 06:55PM
Notawannabe wrote:
Go Esther! ..."being Hawaiian is a state of mind..." What rubbish!
on July 13,2012 | 07:58AM
Publicbraddah wrote:
Up until last night, I didn't even know Esther existed but after hearing her, I came away somewhat impressed. She verbalized herself very well and was not afraid of confronting the other candidates. Too bad she doesn't have much in the way of backing except maybe OHA. Unfortunately, getting elected is all about getting endorsements and money from people/organizations who want something in return.
on July 13,2012 | 08:40AM
8082062424 wrote:
Thank you well said. even the subject of the Jones act she was to the point. tulsi answer was it about jobs and the military on this island. what about all the folks who live here and pay the high prices.
on July 13,2012 | 09:45AM
livinginhawaii wrote:
If the majority of these posts are from the neighbor islands and rural Oahu I's say that Hawaii's brian power has finally shifted away from urban Honolulu. Glad to see that the majority of the posters here recognize that Mufi is both a quitter and political opportunist. I still can't believe that he was ever elected Mayor particularly at a time when he lacked the skill sets to successfully lead a multi billion dollar organization.
on July 13,2012 | 07:56AM
ready2go wrote:
Tulsi was very impressive. She'd be a great representative for Hawaii. She'll make us proud! A leader!
on July 13,2012 | 07:58AM
kapoleitalkstory wrote:
Not in the least - she has no track record of finishing anything that she started except attacking the houseless.
on July 13,2012 | 08:10AM
Changalang wrote:
She has a record of betrayal in politics that is well established now.
on July 13,2012 | 11:01AM
on July 13,2012 | 01:33PM
colching wrote:
Obviously, the majority of Tulsi's supporters are again flooding the comments. We saw Tulsi right after the debates and she did not look like a happy camper. She was the lightweight out of the entire ghroup. Her constant attcacks on Mufi were without merit and were based on half-truths or straight out lies. When Tulsi flat out said that Mufi had nothing to do with saving Pearl Harbor, it was interesting that Esther KiaAina spoke up and said, " I was there in D.C. Mufi indeed was instrumental in helping to save Pearl Harbor." This shows a lack of due diligence, honesty,and apenchant for spreading rumors, something Gabbard's camp has been doing lately. Start the rumors and let let the rumors fan the flames. Political strategy perhaps, but really a lack of character and aloha. Ms Kia Aina proved to be very akamai and would make a great chief-of-staff. Bob Marx offered comic relief, he is accomplished, but not for Congress. Oh, and by the way, when Esther asked Tuksi about her attendance record at her community meetings, she said that she does attend the meetings. Her record: 90 meetings, 9 attended-- 10%. Her constituents in her district desrerve better. The people of Hawaii definitely deserve better. Do you know that Tulsi had the gall to ask Esther to step down so she could win. Better Tulsi step down and give Esther a shot!
on July 13,2012 | 08:22AM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
Tulasi is a featherweight. Nice looking featherweight. She makes way too much of her military experience and ioverstates its value - the military is not a democracy and leadership is not by consensus and team building. Her statement that she could move 434 members of the House to end the war in Afghanistan is laughable in its naivete. Chickadee has too high a sense of her importance. She can not guarantee squat about social security, medicare or anything else. She should have simply said, "I will be one voice but I will always vote my conscience even when it is politically inadvisable to do so." instead of pretending she will have more influence than the guy who polished the House furniture.

Sorry, but that's the hard facts of the matter. But she does look cute.

on July 13,2012 | 09:07AM
Changalang wrote:
She should go for a job within her skill set; like newscaster/weathergirl or tour guide. She will be mulched in the U.S. House particularly as a Republican that turned Democrat and against Bush's DOMA. GOP will keep the House, so pay back to Tulsi for betrayal will make Hawaii the receivers. The only thing that defines Falsie's political career is betrayal. Betrayal to her GOP principles, and betrayal of her Council constituency to greenlight Rail being able to tap the general fund through the back door via established contingency funds.
on July 13,2012 | 11:00AM
inverse wrote:
Gabbard "weighs a lot more" than Hanabusa or Hirono. If am not fan of Gabbard but at least she served in a field medical unit in Iraq unlike Mufi, Hanabusa or Hirono who are more worried about self preservation than serving their country. How come you don't criticize Inouye, Tammy Duckworth and many others who have used their military service to their political advantage?
on July 13,2012 | 01:16PM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
Newsflash: she is not running against Hanabusa or Hirono or even my Auntie Sophie. She probably weighs in more than Auntie Sophie buy it's still an irrelevant comparison.
on July 13,2012 | 07:19PM
kainalu wrote:
The debate over guns, god and gays is one better left to the Republicans. It's how they shepard their sheep. Let's focus on running the business of the government.
on July 13,2012 | 08:45AM
BlueDolphin53 wrote:
The debate over the benefits of bigger government, higher taxes and the necessity of promoting a welfare state is best left to the democrats. It's how they shepard their sheep. Let's focus on running the business of the governemnt.
on July 13,2012 | 05:56PM
hawaiikone wrote:
touche..
on July 13,2012 | 07:03PM
Changalang wrote:
Actually, portraying the Republicans as wolves that would destroy the sheep is all that is needed. Those gov't dependent voters based on stimulas will be at the polls in November to protect their way of life. Republicans hated the last four years. How much love will they have for Obama's no holds barred off the leash next four years? Take a look at the electoral College breakdown. CJ Roberts basically gave Obama the election. Obamacare is now 50/50 and GOP leaning races in both the House and the Senate have reversed trending. Obama may just hold the Senate and the House will be close enough to render the GOP Majority de facto neutered. The Democratic strategy is dominating. Who would ever guess that enough sheep can actually eat the wolves and crave for more; like Chinese food, more hungry an hour later. :)
on July 13,2012 | 07:48PM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
Summary:

Esther: too strident, abrasive voice, too ethnic oriented and experience is as a follower, not leader.

Bob: not relevant, lost in mumbled statistics, too old, "negotiator" experience adds nothing, befuddled

Tulasi: glib, lack of perspective (freshman, minority party, 1 of 435 but shew ill end the war in the 'Stan.) GMAFB Chickadee, dodeges questions, overstates value of military service

Mufiuli: tired, afraid to be himself-trying to be gentle and kind, manipulative even in the debate process, too tall, his record is a curse as much as an advantage

Results: Mufi will win this one. He actually does have specific experience in leadership roles of substance in both public and private sectors. His basically street fight ability is actually to Hawaii's advantage in slugging it our in Congress. Esther and Bob are irrelevant al though Esther actually knows more about the legislative side than anybody. Tulsi is a teflon candidate who epitomizes the "yes with reservations" approach and hedging.

Mufiuli will win this one as much as it grates on me to say it. The others failed mightily in asking the real tough questions to knock him back. Tulsi took a shot with "pay to play" but lacked the one example of proof to make her case.

on July 13,2012 | 09:02AM
inverse wrote:
I think you are wrong, I think the growing anti-rail sentiment when the apathetic public realizes how B S the project really is, has finally starting to hit home to many people now that Yoshioka is purposely cutting Express and other City bus routes to try to force people into using the future rail. Many hold Mufi personally responsible and just like he got trounced by Abercrombie in the governor's race for his lack of integrity, despite his massive union backing, people will NOT vote for Mufi and instead vote for Tulsi or the other two. Most people understand the BEST chance of defeating Mufi is to vote for Tulsi as voting for the other two will split the vote among there candidates, thus better allowing to Mufi to win by default. That is why the pro-Mufi crowd is trying so hard in attacking Tulsi.
on July 13,2012 | 01:26PM
Jsato wrote:
True. That's also why some of Mufi's supporters all of the sudden are going, "Go Esther!" Hoping to split the vote.
on July 13,2012 | 05:48PM
ponon wrote:
I hope you are wrong, but I'm kinda feeling you may be right. Anyone remember Mufi vx Pat Saiki race? If they do they will never vote for Mufi. I'm waiting for the mud that Mufi will start slinging right before the election.
on July 13,2012 | 04:42PM
Changalang wrote:
The benefit of Tool-Si's failure is that all those Akaka staffers living large for decades in D.C. finally have to come home and live in the mess they helped create; right Jsato? LOL. Out with the Old in with the New; and new doesn't include the Falsie mannequin wearing Akaka's old clothes. Akaka is living Aloha and it is understandable that he want to keep his team in D.C. out of generosity, but D.C. requires that you clean out your desk and office when you go.
on July 13,2012 | 06:58PM
Hawaiianhaole wrote:
Mufi's political career is over. We have seen what he can or can not do and it has not been to impressive. I normally do not vote Democrat however I would have to go with Tulsi, I liked the way she came at Mufi head on and challenged him. She did do her homework and told us what we wanted to hear then again all politicians do that to get your vote. One thing I like is she is young and hasn't been around long enough to be corrupted so maybe she will be the one who is truly for the people. One thing is for sure Hawaii definitely needs a change.
on July 13,2012 | 09:04AM
allie wrote:
true..he has become an embarrassment..a cartoon really
on July 13,2012 | 01:33PM
DonkeyCurl wrote:
Mufi and Clayton Hee sitting in the tree....back room deals and bully management styles..... The face tells it all, and I'm voting for the pretty face! Go Tulsi!
on July 13,2012 | 09:34AM
giggle...you got it!
on July 13,2012 | 01:33PM
HEARTOHEART wrote:
I really like Esther Kai'aina ...simple and truthfull demeanor Learning that Tulsi Gabbard did ask Esther to abandon running for congress so that she can get a clearer shot at MUFI is typical of the sinister political machine that is running her life ....(arrange marriage to Tomayo included ) Its the same homophobic handlers as her father ....the money financing her come from the same sources as her father . Tulsi as been groom and finance from birth by the cult she was raise in including years and years of learning marshall arts to make her look more confident (she use to teach marshall arts ) Esther might not have the skin deep beauty of TULASI but her heart and sincerity is in a better place . I sincerely hope Esther take some intense TONY ROBBINS like coaching sessions ....and come back and come swigging at that Hawaii barbie political fabrication TULSI GABBARD ......who is trumpeting he brief military experience in every videos she make ".Look at me in this uniforms ....and now look at me in this other uniforms " when she was mostly safe in Saudi Arabia while other soldiers with no political connections where on the front line in IRAK. Do not let her and the destructive cult she as been serving all her life misleed your votes with her slick videos.
on July 13,2012 | 10:04AM
DonkeyCurl wrote:
You haven't served! Saudi Arabia safe! I had 3 of my men blown to pieces in Saudi! So if you haven't served keep your comments to yourself!
on July 13,2012 | 10:15AM
Changalang wrote:
You guys wrap yourself in the flag and seem mighty proud about getting your butts kicked. There are plenty of other prior service veterans of winning campaigns that despise Tulsi p!mp!ng her service for personal political gain; so pipe down and show some honor to the uniform.
on July 13,2012 | 10:49AM
pakeheat wrote:
What ever happened to that officer who didn't want to serve and got a honorable discharged some years ago? I think he was a local guy, right?
on July 13,2012 | 11:40AM
pakeheat wrote:
I do remember him now since he is the son of Mr. Watada?
on July 13,2012 | 01:09PM
Changalang wrote:
He was fortunate enough to have a father who knew Mr,. Sietz Esq. well enough.
on July 13,2012 | 02:28PM
inverse wrote:
These guys who are attacking Tulsi are most likely Mufi supporters who will do or say whatever it takes to get Mufi elected; EVEN resorting to trashing Tulsi's military service, when they themselves would be too scared to voluntarily enlist and serve in a combat zone, even if it is for a field medical unit which does not guarantee 100 percent personal safety.
on July 13,2012 | 01:40PM
Changalang wrote:
In your mind, military service makes those who served more than their fellow American citizens. As a prior service veteran, I correctly know that I serve the fact that we are all equal. Those who live by the words that they were sworn into, may not take you a55wipe point of view to heart. Don't even try to ACT like Tulsi represents all Vets. Tulsi will get a dishonorable discharge on August 11reflective of her conduct against her Council district constituency. Maybe then you clowns will learn it is a privilege to serve the country that gives us everything. That is SUPPOSED to be a one way street. The citizens of America owe Tulsi and myself nothing for the service. Get it straight, gov't parasite.
on July 13,2012 | 02:39PM
inverse wrote:
I never said Tulsi represents "all" service members. What I don't like is the intense personal attacks on Gabbard, who I don't even like as she is nothing more than a rail "yes" vote. Don't you understand, the more intense personal attacks you and others publicly make on Gabbard, the more support Gabbard will be getting? Maybe that is a good thing because, my opinion, Gabbard is the lesser of four evils and in the best interest for ALL of Hawaii that Mufi not be elected to Congress.
on July 13,2012 | 03:55PM
Changalang wrote:
I have access to internal polls second hand via more than one campaign operation overall. Your girl Falsie is a goner; and rightly so. Tool-Si jumped into the bullring swinging, it is her OWN truth that knocked her out. I look at it as if Auntie K. doesn't win, she will be rightly moved up the ladder for higher public service because of her debate performance and Hawaii got to meet Bob Marx in spite of Emperor Dan endorsing Tulsi and giving them the snub at OUR own State Democratic Convention. A vote for Tulsi is a vote for the next generation of Machine politics in Hawaii. Time to bury that cr@p with the egress of the Dans.
on July 13,2012 | 06:50PM
lee1957 wrote:
Of all the issues facing the country on a national level same sex marriage dominates the debate. L-O-S-T!! I don't care about party affiliation, I'm voting for Ham Sandwich.
on July 13,2012 | 10:15AM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
Hugh G. Tezzicools gets my vote.
on July 13,2012 | 11:22AM
bully106 wrote:
moderators please stop asking about same sex marriage and abortion already. focus, please, on the real pressing issues such as the economy, jobs, spiraling cost of living, etc. we voters need to know if these candidates have plans on how we can move ahead in the future. cities are crumbling... we don't want to be there.
on July 13,2012 | 10:25AM
daniwitz13 wrote:
There is NO FUTURE in Homosexuality. There is ONLY ONE Formula for the Future. Pity.
on July 13,2012 | 11:10AM
Changalang wrote:
So why deprive individuals of their individual pursuit of happiness?
on July 13,2012 | 06:44PM
Changalang wrote:
I watched and learned that Tulsi cannot draw blood even in her fiercest personal attacks. Auntie K. made a solid impression and Mufi came across as a contrite professional. Debates are about firing up the base, for an underdog to slay the champion, and for stellar performance to pull from undecideds. Clearly the Tool-Si fan club is out on this forum, which gives me great hope that her candidacy will fail since she is a betrayer of her Council constituency and now a proven liar to the LBGT community. Bob Marx was cool and I accept that he didn't mean to demean native Hawaiians and wanted to portray that he is with "us". Falsie had her chance to take out Mufi, and she failed. No blood. Mufi was extremely humble considering his big bully label via the media and haters. Did Tool-Si close the gap and cross out of second tier to be the solo contender against Mufi? Not with this debate. If Mufi screwed up, maybe. However, he stayed cool and countered the barrages well. Tool-Si lost composure via frantic attempts to assault Mufi. Sorry betrayer of the public trust; go back and cry on Daddy's shoulder.
on July 13,2012 | 10:45AM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
Mufi was clever. He asked the other candidates easy questions that they could answer with irrelevant self-promotion and then used his rebuttal times to push his own message instead of taking potshots. Esther, in particular, took the bait like that enthusiastic ulua on the insurance commercial.

Teflon Tulsi, in my opinion, missed an opportunity to stand tall (hehe) when she over-sold her military experience and kept suggesting that a freshman House member had significant political clout. Tulasi, darling, you are not going to personally save Medicare, Social Security or stop the war in Afghanistan. You know it; we know it. But you are cute when motivated. I predict the neighborhood board answer will come back to haunt her.

I'm sorry but Bob looked lost in space, over-talked his time limits, made very strange statistical references and basically seemed befuddled. Oh, and Bob - the "Hawaiian is a state of mind card" has been tried by many all have been burnt badly.

So that leaves Mufi. It was his to lose and he almost accomplished that. He lacked energy and spirit and seemed overly concerned with being a nice gentle sort of really, really big dude. I would have though he would come on with confidence but he pushed humility. Still, he made the point that love him or hate him he at least got stuff done.

I think Mufi walks away in the best position - no fatal wounds and his machine has the money and wherewithal to win the vote. Personally that makes me go "yuck" but I am a realist about this stuff.

on July 13,2012 | 11:20AM
Changalang wrote:
Agree. I like Auntie K. the best, though.
on July 13,2012 | 02:41PM
WizardOfMoa wrote:
Ditto, ditto to the above kapoleitalkstory's comment
on July 13,2012 | 10:49AM
drgtherocker wrote:
The Debate Winner: Esther Kia'aina - sharp, articulate, obviously intelligent. Second Place: Mufi Hanneman - spoke to his base, did no damage. Third Place: Bob Marx - unaware of Hawaii issues, running in the wrong state. Last Place: Tulsi Gabbard - Hey, she looks like a deer in the headlights candidate. Zero passion. Not up on issues, Sarah Palin grasp of issues, big on sound bites. Give her a lot of credit for her military service, which gives her a bump up. Unfortunately, lacks gravitas. Advice to liberal Tulsi supporters: Switch to Kia'aina, the only true local progressive running.
on July 13,2012 | 11:24AM
sunnyhi wrote:
Mufi bailed on the City and bailed as Mayor to further his personal career. He left rail for other's to pick up and handle when he should have stayed to see the mess through. Inouye now risk embarassment and trying to save face for failed rail if Cayetano wins. Mufi told to wait out his term as Mayor but he put himself first before the people and lost. Now Mufi "humbly" asks for our vote with his tail between his legs. I confidently say no and will vote for a fresh start.
on July 13,2012 | 11:38AM
WillN wrote:
What you don't see is the donation amount instate and out of state. There are 70% $100 or less because Emily's List and VoteVets.org has made the push for national money to flow into Hawaii. It is not grassroots support, but specific issue support from the mainland.
on July 13,2012 | 11:43AM
Grimbold wrote:
Gays have managed to make gay marriage a normal word. If you just repeat a hair-raising monstrosity forever it becomes socially acceptable. How easily brainwashed and manipulated the people are becoming.
on July 13,2012 | 11:58AM
Denominator wrote:
None of them has an original thought or any understanding of economics. They are all pandering for votes by taking money from whoever has it (not theirs) and giving it away. I'd say we're doomed.
on July 13,2012 | 12:33PM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
I realize to some extent we are each talking our own book here but one thing that does surprise a little is the support Esther. From the looks of it she made good strides in getting her name out in front a bit. Now maybe all these posts are family members or her committee but if not she used the exposure on TV to good effect. Of course, her chances of winning the seat are about the same as Marx getting the OHA vote.
on July 13,2012 | 12:54PM
sunnyhi wrote:
Not part of her family or committee but I thought she did well last night. Commendable that she wants to come out from behind the scenes and take the lead now. It's too bad she doesn't have the funding and support to get her name out there.
on July 13,2012 | 03:19PM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
Yup. End of day the cash position and organization - along with the union hook ups - talk pretty loud. Esther clearly is a legislative "wonk" who really knows her stuff and has detailed knowledge of what the job involves. She cam across as honest and sincere and sincerity was in otherwise short supply at the debate.
on July 13,2012 | 05:12PM
bikemom wrote:
"Other candidates in next month's Demo­cratic primary are attorney Rafael Del Castillo of Hawaii Kai and Miles Shi­ra­tori of Kaneohe. The two people vying for the 2nd District's Republican nomination are Kawika Crowley of Hilo and Matthew DeGeronimo of Hawaii Kai." They should have been included.
on July 13,2012 | 01:56PM
HEARTOHEART wrote:
What would TULSI had to present the world if she was not wrapping herself in the military flag ....in every video and in every interviews. Not to long ago she was just a register massage therapist without higher education .. Esther as won many new admirers by her truthfulness and humility ..... Mufi got his bases cover ..he is a Mormon and is not hiding his spiritual connection to hs church . The problem is when you present yourself as NON HOMOPHOBE .....when you where SUPER HOMOPHOBE only 36 months ago MAX ...you can lie to some people sometime ....but not all people all a time . As a psychotherapist ....I say there is but Mufi ...who make sense for the general public I
on July 13,2012 | 03:03PM
blackmurano wrote:
Tulsi Gabbard is a threat to the "Sanctity of Marriage" should she get elected to the vacant Congressional Representative seat. I am a retired Army National Guard and also a Christian. I would have supported her because she is a fellow guardsman. But on my Christian side, she is a threat to marriage that God ordained as a Covenant.
on July 13,2012 | 03:12PM
Kuihao wrote:
Sounds like Mufi is your guy. Pity.
on July 13,2012 | 04:53PM
BlueDolphin53 wrote:
While I share your views on the gay marriage issue (what's next....legalizing polygamy, incesteous relations and child marriage???), that ship has sailed. The best we can hope for is someone who is a fiscal conservative.
on July 13,2012 | 05:58PM
BlueDolphin53 wrote:
Did Mazie come out in support of any of these candidates? I'd like to know as it would help me to thin the field a bit. At least I could eliminate the one she endorses.
on July 13,2012 | 04:34PM
roadsterred wrote:
Never mind the weak economy, without gay marriage, the nation, no the world, will come to an end. If this topic dominated last night's debate, we're all in deep doo doo.
on July 13,2012 | 05:18PM
kailua000 wrote:
LOL. sad but true many think that IS true.
on July 13,2012 | 06:15PM
hawaiikone wrote:
I think you mean WITH gay marriage the world comes to an end...
on July 13,2012 | 07:20PM
Yoshi1941 wrote:
I heard Mufi's do desperate he's trying to spread those rumors. Now I know it's true. Sad.
on July 13,2012 | 06:14PM
koadog wrote:
If I lived in the 2nd district I would vote for Esther Kia aina.
on July 13,2012 | 09:48PM
drgtherocker wrote:
Watch for a surge in Esther Kia'aina poll numbers. Once liberals/progressives, Abercrombie Supporters (are you listening Nancy and Amy?) realize that Ms. Kia'aina is the reincarnation of Patsy Mink (they even sound alike) so to speak, the choice is obvious.
on July 14,2012 | 10:32AM