POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Sep 29, 2010
Hawaiian Electric Co.'s annual Live Energy Lite event puts a spotlight on Energy Awareness Month. Enjoy entertainment, games and prizes while learning about Hawaii's precious resources and the
LIVE ENERGY LITE» When: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Oct. 9
» Where: Pearlridge Center, Uptown Center Court
» Admission: Free
» Call: 543-7511 or visit www.heco.com
exciting plans for the state's energy future. Here are five great reasons to check it out:
1. Spin the Energy Wheel or play games to win such prizes as energy conservation and emergency preparedness devices, an Apple iPad, an Ohana hotels staycation or a trip for two to Las Vegas.
2. Mad Science of Hawaii will demonstrate experiments that sizzle, spark, froth, foam and ooze. It's magic and science combined to defy the imagination.
3. The free "Energy Detective Guidebook" for children is full of tips and information to help them find energy bandits and phantoms that may be wasting power in your home.
4. Learn about money-saving rebates on energy efficient improvements for your home and business from the experts at Hawaii Energy.
5. Learn about conserving island resources, and get advice from experts at HECO, the Board of Water Supply, the Gas Co. and Malama Learning Center.
6 cups chopped romaine
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (12 ounces) corn, drained
1/2 cup prepared salsa
1/2 cup cheese crumbles
1/2 cup ranch dressing
1 cup crushed tortilla chips
Place lettuce on serving platter. Layer beans, corn, salsa and cheese over lettuce. Drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with chips. Serves 6.
Approximate nutritional analysis, per serving: 300 calories, 17 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 15 mg cholesterol, 900 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 10 g protein
1 cup shredded cooked chicken
2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
2 cups strawberries, sliced
1/2 cup chopped watermelon
1/2 cup chopped pineapple
1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
8 cups mesclun salad mix
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup chopped red onion
Juice of 1/2 orange
Combine salad ingredients in large salad bowl. Mix dressing ingredients in blender for 30 seconds. Just before serving, lightly toss dressing with salad ingredients. Serves 6.
Approximate nutritional analysis, per serving: 330 calories, 22 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 20 mg cholesterol, 50 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 20 g sugar, 10 g protein
1/2 pound fresh ogo
2 medium Japanese cucumbers
1/2 pound crabmeat, shredded
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons toasted and ground sesame seeds
1/4 teaspoon salt
Wash ogo and blanch (dip briefly in boiling water); cut into 2-inch lengths. Pare and cut cucumbers in halves lengthwise, then thinly slice crosswise.
In a large bowl, combine ogo, cucumber and crab.
Combine dressing ingredients. Pour over ogo mixture and mix well. Serves 4 to 6.
Approximate nutritional analysis, per serving (based on 4 servings): 120 calories, 2 g fat, no saturated fat, 35 mg cholesterol, 1,600 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 14 g protein
For more Hawaiian Electric Co. recipes visit the website www.heco.com.