Monday, November 30, 2015         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 0 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Police and Fire

For Monday, June 14, 2010

By Star-Advertiser Staff and News Services


Brawl outside bar puts 2 in hospital

Police were investigating yesterday a brawl outside a Keeaumoku Street sports bar that left two men in the hospital, one with an apparent stab wound.

Honolulu police received a call at about 2:20 a.m. that a group of about 20 men were fighting outside Champions Sports Bar and Grill.

Emergency Medical Services transported one man to the Queen's Medical Center in serious condition with an apparent stab wound. Another man was also taken to Queen's in stable condition with undisclosed injuries.


Blaze hits Quonset hut in Waianae

A late-night fire that destroyed a vehicle and a tractor was under investigation yesterday by the Honolulu Fire Department.

The fire broke out at 11:11 p.m. Saturday at a 800-square-foot Quonset hut on Halona Road in Waianae and was brought under control at 11:31 p.m.

Seventeen firefighters responded to the blaze, which was extinguished at 1:17 a.m. yesterday, the department said.

Damage was estimated at $10,000 to the structure and $90,000 to the contents. Fire investigators were not able to determine the cause of the fire.


Brush fire burns North Shore land

A downed power line triggered a 30-acre brush fire at Dillingham Airfield near Waialua early yesterday morning.

According to Capt. Robert Main, a spokesman for the Honolulu Fire Department, 24 firefighters responded to the call at 12:47 a.m. and were able to contain the fire by shortly after 5 a.m.

No one was evacuated and no structures were threatened.


3 are injured in highway collision

Three men were seriously injured in what appears to have been a head-on collision between a four-door sedan and a pickup truck early yesterday morning in Kahuku.

The accident occurred at about 1:23 a.m. on Kamehameha Highway.

A man who appeared to be in his 30s and two others who appeared to be in their 20s were taken to a local hospital in serious condition, said Emergency Medical Services spokesman Bryan Cheplic.


Coast Guard searches for canoeist

A Coast Guard crew from Hawaii continued searching yesterday for a mariner missing off the island of Pingelap in the Federated States of Micronesia.

The man was reported missing at about 6:25 p.m. Saturday when his 13-foot black-and-blue canoe became separated from a fishing party returning to shore because of poor weather conditions.

An HC-130 Hercules airplane left yesterday from Barbers Point Air Station to help in the search.

A Navy P-3 Orion airplane from Kadena Air Base in Japan is also helping in the search.

The aircrew covered an area of about 2,100 square miles in an area about 30 miles northwest of Pingelap.



Man pleads not guilty to DUI charge

HILO » A Big Island man charged with habitual DUI has pleaded not guilty.

Buck Daniel Jordan was initially charged with petty misdemeanor DUI when he was arrested March 25 while riding a mo-ped in Hilo.

Prosecutors upped the charge to a felony after a National Crime Information Center check found Jordan had three prior DUI convictions, including two in California, within the past decade.

The 27-year-old Jordan was convicted last November on DUI and felony firearms charges, in addition to driving without a license and driving without insurance.

He is serving an 18-month jail sentence on weekends and during school breaks.


Barbecue cited as cause of Big Isle fire

KAILUA-KONA » A resident of a Big Island community where fire destroyed several structures last week claimed responsibility for the blaze.

Fifty-year-old Joshua Merez said his barbecue was to blame for Thursday afternoon's brush fire in the Hawaiian Ocean View Estates subdivision of Kau.

The fire consumed two homes, two vehicles and an agricultural building before it was brought under control. No injuries were reported, but dozens of homes had to be evacuated.

Merez said he tried to put the fire from his barbecue out with a hose, but it would not reach and broke off. He then ran to get his grandchildren out of the home.

When he returned, Merez said, the fire was out of control.

 Print   Email   Comment | View 0 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

You must be subscribed to participate in discussions

Latest News/Updates