Quantcast

Thursday, July 24, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 0 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Police and Fire

For Saturday, July 10, 2010

By Star-Advertiser Staff and News Services

POSTED:

Hiker falls 30 feet off Big Isle trail

Big Island firefighters rescued a 47-year-old man yesterday who fell about 30 feet off an embankment while hiking on the island's east side.

The man slipped on a trail near a waterfall close to Piihonua Bridge in Kaumana at about 12:20 p.m., firefighters said. They packed up the man, who had a broken right leg, and airlifted him off the trail. He was taken to Hilo Medical Center.

 

Driver allegedly tries to hit police

Honolulu police used a Taser to subdue a drug suspect allegedly driving under the influence.

Police said the man tried to hit Crime Reduction Unit officers with a vehicle "multiple times" Thursday afternoon during a traffic stop in Wahiawa.

The Wahiawa/North Shore district CRU officers had stopped the vehicle for a traffic violation. Police said drugs were found in the vehicle, and the 46-year-old driver and two passengers were arrested on drug charges. The driver, who had no local address, was also arrested for resisting arrest, terroristic threatening, harassment and driving without a license.

The driver and his passengers, a 50-year-old man with no local address and a 30-year-old Waianae woman, were arrested at about 4:30 p.m. on Kamehameha Highway near Kilani Avenue.

 

Neighbor with hose helps douse fire

An alert neighbor used a garden hose to help put out a fire in Keaau Thursday afternoon, Big Island firefighters said.

Firefighters responded to the 4:27 p.m. alarm at 16-1101 Moho Road and extinguished the fire by 4:43 p.m. The fire was mostly under control when engines arrived because of the neighbor's efforts, firefighters said.

Officials estimated damage at $10,000 to the single-story structure, but the damage could have been up to $143,000 had the flames spread. The fire at the 20-by-30-foot structure was blamed on an unattended flame being used to heat water, firefighters said.






 Print   Email   Comment | View 0 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(0)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
IN OTHER NEWS
Latest News/Updates