Saturday, October 3, 2015         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 0 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Marcos victims may soon receive funds

By Nelson Daranciang


More than 9,000 Filipinos who successfully sued Ferdinand Marcos in an American court over human rights abuses in the Philippines could soon receive the first installment of their nearly $2 billion judgment against the former president.

Three corporations created by Marcos cronies agreed to a $10 million settlement over a claim by the plaintiffs that 4,500 acres in Texas and Colorado were paid for and owned by the Marcos estate, said Sherry Broder, one of the plaintiffs' lawyers.

"This is a major step -- but only one step," she said.

The plaintiffs have collected some money from the sale of a Makiki Heights home where Marcos and his family stayed following their forced exile in 1986, a bulletproof Mercedes-Benz automobile owned by a Marcos associate and a Picasso painting. But the amounts were too small to distribute to the 9,539 people who were members of the class-action lawsuit, Broder said.

The class members are victims of torture, summary executions and disappearances, and their heirs. The U.S. District Court in Hawaii awarded them $1.96 billion in damages in 1995.

Broder said the plaintiffs are still attempting to collect on the judgment, including a share of about $1 billion in an escrow account holding funds previously in Swiss banks under Marcos family members' names. The Philippine government is also laying claim to the money.

 Print   Email   Comment | View 0 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

You must be subscribed to participate in discussions

Latest News/Updates