For Wednesday, September 29, 2010
POSTED: 1:30 a.m. HST, Sep 29, 2010
The revamped "Hawaii Five-0" came in second place in its time slot Monday night, but CBS officials said the show did well in key demographic groups.
The ABC drama "Castle" won the slot with 12.4 million viewers versus 12.34 million for the second episode of "Hawaii Five-0," according to Nielsen ratings preliminary data released yesterday. CBS executives noted that "Five-0" won its time period in the important demographic groups of adults ages 18 to 49 and 25 to 54.
A week earlier the debut of "Five-0" was seen by 14.2 million people, making it the most-watched new series this season, the Associated Press reported.
"Castle" benefited by following ABC's "Dancing with the Stars," which was last week's top-rated show.
Another Monday night drama, meanwhile, is the first casualty of the new season. Fox officials announced yesterday that they were canceling "Lone Star" after two episodes. The third season of "Lie to Me" will replace "Lone Star," which was well received by critics but not viewers.
A new initiative to help children successfully transition as they age out of foster care launches today with "Door Openers," information on access to educational and employment opportunities, from 4 to 6 p.m. at the Richards Street YWCA, Fuller Hall. Epic Ohana Conferencing Inc., lead agency for implementation of the Hawaii Youth Opportunities Initiative, is spearheading the event.
A Coast Guard helicopter flew an ill woman from the remote Kalaupapa settlement on Molokai to Oahu early yesterday morning.
The state Department of Health requested the medical evacuation for a woman in her 70s.
A Coast Guard HH-65 Dolphin HHC-130 long-range helicopter air crew from Air Station Barbers Point and a Disaster Medical Assist Team member arrived at Kalaupapa at 12:30 a.m. and returned to Oahu at about 2 a.m. An ambulance took the patient to Straub Clinic & Hospital.
No information was immediately available about the woman's condition.
LIHUE » Kauai County officials say disciplinary action has been taken after a Fire Department boat was used for a fishing expedition to waters along the coast of Niihau.
The activity was caught by a video camera crew set up by the island's owners to try to stop trespassing.
Island co-owner Keith Robinson told Mayor Bernard Carvalho Jr. in a letter that catching the boat, apparently loaded with firefighters fishing and diving close to a Hawaiian monk seal haven, was unexpected.
County spokeswoman Mary Daubert told the Garden Island newspaper that Carvalho asked Fire Chief Robert Westerman to conduct an investigation, which resulted in disciplinary action.
Daubert says she could not discuss what action was taken because it is a personnel matter.