For Monday, December 6, 2010
POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Dec 06, 2010
A Big Island police officer and neighbors were credited with saving a Hilo home and evacuating the 100-year-old resident who apparently left a pot on a propane burner that burned and filled the Iloko Street home with smoke Saturday night, Hawaii County fire officials said.
The fire caused minimal damage, but the 100-year-old occupant was in the rear bedroom when the fire broke out shortly after 6 last night, firefighters said.
A female graduate student reported being forcibly robbed of her backpack in the parking lot of the Newman Center on the University of Hawaii at Manoa's upper campus just after midnight Saturday.
The woman said she was approached by an African-American man in his early 20s who asked for the time, then grabbed her backpack by the strap and ran toward Moore Hall, UH campus security reported.
The suspect is described as 6 feet tall and 140 pounds with black hair and wearing a white short-sleeve T-shirt, gray pants and running shoes.
Anyone with information about the incident is asked to contact the Honolulu Police Department at 911 or Campus Security at 956-6911.