Wednesday, July 23, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 0 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Prosecutors will seek extended term for Puna man guilty of manslaughter

By Leila Fujimori

LAST UPDATED: 12:41 a.m. HST, Feb 10, 2011

Hawaii County prosecutors will seek a life sentence for a 29-year-old Puna man found guilty of manslaughter yesterday in the 2005 death of Sarah Fay, who was brain-dead but kept on life support until her baby was born.

A Big Island jury found Marwan Timothy Saad Jackson, who was on trial for second-degree murder, guilty of the lesser crime. Manslaughter carries a 20-year maximum sentence. Second-degree murder carries a life sentence with the possibility of parole.

Deputy Prosecutor Charlene Iboshi, who will succeed Big Island Prosecutor Jay Kimura in April, said prosecutors will seek an extended term — life imprisonment — for the manslaughter conviction.

"This is a violent career criminal who has four other convictions," Iboshi said. Jackson was on probation for three felony convictions, including first- and second-degree assault, when the beating death occurred.

The 34-year-old Fay was 7 1/2 months pregnant with Jackson's child when she was found unconscious with head and bodily injuries Nov. 25, 2005, at her Fern Acres home. Fay was pronounced brain-dead two days later.

Queen's Medical Center doctors kept Fay on life support for 18 days until her baby boy, Josiah Darcy Fay, was delivered by Caesarian section, weighing 3 pounds, 5 ounces, on Dec. 12, 2005.

Jackson testified Fay fell twice while they argued on Thanksgiving Day, Nov. 24, 2005, once hitting a coffee table and a second time they fell together, with Fay receiving a black eye when her head hit his elbow, said Deputy Prosecutor Kanani Laubach. He also testified Fay told him she fell down a short flight of stairs the next morning.

But retired Honolulu Medical Examiner Dr. Kanthi De Alwis testified that all Fay's injuries could not have come from a fall because she had multiple points of impact, including neck injuries that could not have come from falling, Laubach said.

 CORRECTION: Josiah Darcy Fay, whose mother was kept on life support so that she could give birth to him after she was declared brain-dead, was born Dec. 12, 2005. A previous version of this story yesterday reported the date was Dec. 13.

 Print   Email   Comment | View 0 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
Latest News/Updates