For Sunday, February 13, 2011
POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Feb 13, 2011
A 39-year-old Kahala man who allegedly assaulted his two daughters with a plastic jar of peanut butter was arrested Friday for repetitive abuse of a household member.
Police said that about 6:15 a.m. the man threw the half-full jar and hit a 7-year-old girl, causing pain and redness. He then allegedly struck a 12-year-old girl on the side of the face with the jar in his hand.
The man has prior convictions for abuse of a household member, elevating the case to a felony, police said.
Police arrested a man and a teenager for allegedly robbing three boys Friday night on a Waikiki-bound city bus.
Police said three boys, between 13 and 14 years old, were sitting in the back of the bus when two older teens got on and sat next to them at about 10:15 p.m.
An 18-year-old man grabbed an iPod Touch from one of the boys , and a 17-year-old boy threatened the other two boys and had them empty their pockets, police said. The two older teens got off near the Red Lobster restaurant on Ala Moana Boulevard, and the victims got off at the next stop near Hilton Hawaiian Village and called police.
Responding officers found the man and the teen, and the victims identified them in a field lineup. The 18-year-old, of Waipahu, was arrested on suspicion of theft and two warrants. The 17-year-old was also arrested.
Honolulu firefighters responded to a hazardous material alarm yesterday during a company preparation for an Environmental Protection Agency demonstration scheduled for tomorrow.
The reaction occurred about 11:45 a.m. at Unitek Insulation when a compound was mixed with ethylene glycol, a liquid usually found in antifreeze, that overheated, setting off the sprinklers, said Honolulu fire Capt. Earle Kealoha.
Firefighters responded the business at 2676 Waiwai Loop, near Lagoon Drive, and found the product was contained to a 55-gallon drum. A fire hazardous-materials team covered the barrel to prevent any spills and monitored the product, which did not present a hazard, Kealoha said.
Kealoha said Unitek is one of the companies that the Fire Department calls to contain hazardous chemicals.
The Kauai Fire Department's first helicopter was blessed in a ceremony Thursday.
The department's latest rescue tool, a new, cherry-red MD-530F helicopter, arrived on the island Jan. 28 from MD Helicopters in Mesa, Ariz., the county said in a news release.
Joining Mayor Bernard Carvalho at the blessing at the Civil Defense courtyard were Kauai Fire Chief Robert Westerman, Deputy Fire Chief John Blalock and about 50 guests, including Councilmen Tim Bynum and Dickie Chang. The blessing was conducted by Tommy Tokioka.
The Kauai Police Department will also use the aircraft when needed. Fire crews will be able to conduct regular training exercises with the pilot.
Funding for the $2 million helicopter was approved in June, thanks in part to a Homeland Security grant as well as a community development block grant.
The chopper was named Kalele Pono, meaning to fly safely.