Quantcast

Monday, September 01, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 0 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Newswatch

For Tuesday, March 29, 2011

By Star-Advertiser staff

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 05:12 a.m. HST, Mar 29, 2011



Man gets 30 years for assault, rape

A 29-year-old former Marine accused of beating up a Washington man he met on the pool deck of a Waikiki condominium-hotel and then raping the man’s 10-year-old daughter has agreed to a 30-year prison term.

Christopher Cantrell pleaded guilty in state court yesterday to five counts of first-degree sexual assault, one count of third-degree sexual assault, promoting child abuse, kidnapping, burglary and assault in a plea deal with the state. The child abuse charge is for recording pornographic images of the girl.

Deputy Prosecutor Landon Murata said he offered Cantrell the deal out of concern for the welfare of the minor victim, who would have been asked to testify at trial.

Without the deal, Cantrell was facing the possibility of multiple life prison terms.

Cantrell accepted the deal on the first day the court was to begin selecting the jury for his trial and after the judge refused to allow him to fire his court-appointed lawyer. The court had previously allowed Cantrell to fire his public defender.

Police said Cantrell met the girl and her father Sept. 17, 2008, on the pool deck of the Waikiki Banyan and accompanied them to their 12th-floor hotel room. They said Cantrell asked the man whether he could take nude pictures of the girl, then punched him repeatedly until the man was unconscious.

He then took the girl to the 10th-floor laundry room, where he raped her, police said.

HCC environmentally aware

Honolulu Community College is holding a three-day environmental awareness event today through Thursday on the HCCcampus mall. “Be the Change: Honolulu CC Go Green Days” will take place from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. each day. Events include a beverage container collection drive, with proceeds to go to the American Red Cross for Japan disaster relief, and a display of a home that uses net zero energy.

NEIGHBOR ISLANDS

Man charged in assault with hammer

A 19-year-old man has been charged with assaulting a Panaewa resident with a sledgehammer on Friday.

Tevita Moala is charged with first-degree assault stemming from an incident in which South Hilo patrol officers found an unconscious man at a home on Auwae Road in Hilo. Police and Fire Department personnel said the 55-year-old man had a severe head injury.

The victim was taken to Hilo Medical Center in serious condition. He was transferred to the Queen’s Medical Center in Honolulu via air ambulance, and was upgraded to stable condition following surgery.

Moala was arrested at the scene on an unrelated warrant and was being held in the East Hawaii Detention Center. His bail was set at $25,000.

Kauai parks survey open to residents

Kauai County is inviting residents to participate in a survey on the future of Kauai’s public parks.

People can fill out the survey online at www.kauaiparks.com. Survey forms are also available at Lihue Civic Center, the Department of Parks and Recreation main office and the camping permit window.

In addition, survey forms may be picked up at any neighborhood center including Kilauea, Anahola, Kapaa, Lihue, Koloa, Kalaheo, Hanapepe, Kaumakani, Waimea and Kekaha.

Information about the parks master plan project is at www.kauaiparks.com.

“We’re asking everyone with an interest in the future of Kauai’s parks and recreation programs to help us chart their future by completing the survey,” said Dave Caylor, a county park planner who is coordinating the master plan update.

A second round of public meetings, which will include a presentation of preliminary findings, is expected to take place in midsummer.






 Print   Email   Comment | View 0 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(0)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions


IN OTHER NEWS
Latest News/Updates