Sunday, November 29, 2015         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 0 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Police and Fire

For Thursday, June 16, 2011

By Star-Advertiser staff


Man arrested in freeway incident

A 27-year-old man who police said tried to push his wife out of a moving vehicle on H-1 Freeway was charged Wednesday with terroristic threatening.

Darren R. Barnhill, of a Schofield Barracks address, remained at the main police cellblock Wednesday afternoon unable to post $11,000 bail.

Police said the incident began when Barnhill was arguing with his wife, 24, in a vehicle about 10:30 a.m. Monday. When she tried to get out, Barnhill stopped her and sped off onto the westbound lanes of H-1 near Kunia, police said.

He tried to open the vehicle's door on the freeway and push her out, police said.

The woman reported the incident after returning to her Kunia home. Barnhill was booked Monday night for investigation of attempted murder and kidnapping.

Blaze razes house, truck in Pahoa

Fire destroyed a two-story, wood-frame house in Pahoa Tuesday night, according to the Hawaii County Fire Department.

The home on Kahukai Street in Leilani Estates was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived about 7 p.m. Fire officials said a resident lived on the second floor, but was not home at the time.

The structure partially collapsed, and a pickup truck and backhoe on the property were also destroyed. The cause of the blaze is under investigation. Fire officials estimated the loss to the structure and contents at $150,000.

Thirteen firefighters responded to the 6:46 p.m. call to a home between Leilani and Mohala streets.

A power line was knocked down onto Kahukai Street at the scene, officials said.

Brain damage killed beaten man, 79

The Honolulu Medical Examiner's Office has determined a 79-year-old man who was found severely beaten in his Kalihi home last month died of brain damage and neck compression.

The injuries came from blunt force trauma to his head and neck, the office said Tuesday. His death was classified as a homicide.

Glenwood Ferreira was found by a friend in his Haka Drive home with head wounds about 7 p.m. May 2. He was taken to the hospital where he died the next day. Police said the case is under investigation.

Police arrested his grandson, David Hernandez III, in connection with his death, but later released him, pending lab results.

Hernandez was charged the day after his grandfather's death with first-degree burglary in an unrelated case. He is being held at Oahu Community Correctional Center in lieu of $25,000 bail.

Woman died of stroke, stab wound

A 56-year-old Kalihi woman whose son is accused in her death last month died of a stroke and an injury to her jugular vein from a stab wound to her face, the Ho­nolulu Medical Examiner's Office said Tuesday.

Other contributing factors to Teresita Hernane's death were hypertension and incise wounds to the face and neck, the Medical Examiner's Office said. A physician ruled the manner of her death was a homicide.

A family member found Hernane dead with a head injury in the bedroom of her Eluwene Street home on May 11. A knife was found on the floor.

Police arrested her son, Charlie Hernane, later that day at nearby Kalakaua Gym.

He was charged with second-degree murder and is being held at Oahu Correctional Community Center in lieu of $100,000 bail.

 Print   Email   Comment | View 0 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

You must be subscribed to participate in discussions

Latest News/Updates