Quantcast

Monday, December 22, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 0 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Police and Fire

For Friday, June 17, 2011

By Star-Advertiser staff

POSTED:



Haleiwa blaze blamed on power line

A June 3 fire at a Haleiwa house that injured a firefighter was started when a 7,000-volt electrical power line fell, touched a garage floodlight and charged portions of the garage with electricity, Honolulu Fire Department investigators said Thursday.

"It instantly energized that wire and caused it to probably arc and ignite the wooden components of the siding and the framing, so the fire started in the back corner of the garage from this energized electrical line, which was energized from the outside in, rather than the inside out," said Capt. Terry Seelig, Fire Department spokesman.

Firefighter Kamaki Worthington, a 10-year veteran, was hospitalized after being shocked while battling the blaze. Seelig said it's not entirely clear how he got shocked. Worthington has been cleared to return to work, Seelig said.

The house, located near Laniakea Beach, sustained about $210,000 in damage to its structure and contents.






 Print   Email   Comment | View 0 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(0)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions


IN OTHER NEWS
Latest News/Updates