For Friday, July 29, 2011
POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Jul 29, 2011
A man who died apparently from an accidental drowning while using a paddleboard off Turtle Bay Resort on Monday has been identified as Charles E. Pickering, 40, of East Honolulu.
Police said a man on the beach at Kawela Bay noticed a person motionless in the water at about 2 p.m. Monday. The man swam out and brought the victim ashore, police said.
The city Office of the Medical Examiner identified the victim Thursday as Pickering and said he died of an accidental drowning.
Firefighters were called to the scene at 2 p.m. and began performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation, said Honolulu fire Capt. Terry Seelig. Emergency Medical Services personnel pronounced him dead at the scene.
A U.S. Marshals fugitive task force arrested a 48-year-old convicted sex offender for failing to register in Pearl City.
Daniel Seyler was found at a Komo Mai Drive home at about 6 p.m. Thursday and arrested on suspicion of two counts of failure to comply with offender registration requirements. He has 113 previous arrests with 56 convictions for crimes including first-degree sex assault and second-degree assault, according to the Marshals Service.
Seyler is required to register as a sex offender for life. He was taken to the main police cellblock pending his court appearance.
A 27-year-old man went to the hospital in serious condition Thursday night after his Land Rover rolled over several times on Pali Highway.
The single-vehicle crash happened at about 7:50 p.m. in the town-bound lanes of the leeward side of the Koolaus near Waokanaka Street. The man was driving about 50 mph when he swerved to avoid a motorcycle that cut in front of him and rolled his vehicle an unknown number of times, according to dispatch reports.
Paramedics took him to the Queen's Medical Center in serious condition.
Police dispatch said no lanes were reported closed.
Police closed Kalia Road between Saratoga Road and Beach Walk Avenue, as well as the makai-bound lane of Beach Walk, Thursday in response to an apparent gas leak in the area.
Honolulu Fire Department personnel responded to a 2:57 p.m. alarm and detected a gas odor in the area fronting the Trump International Hotel, according to Fire Department spokesman Capt. Gary Lum.
They alerted the Gas Co., which sent a service technician and leak inspector to investigate. No further details were available.