Thursday, November 26, 2015         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 0 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Police and Fire

For Friday, November 11, 2011

By Star-Advertiser staff


Oahu woman charged with wire fraud

A 48-year-old Ewa Beach woman is the latest person in Hawaii charged with stealing investors' funds in a Ponzi scheme.

Federal prosecutors charged Suzette M. Anguay with one count of wire fraud Wednesday.

Through her company, Money $en$e, prosecutors say, Anguay collected at least $800,000 from "investors" from 2007 to 2010 by promising them annual returns of 15 to 30 percent.

Instead of investing the money as she promised, the government says Anguay used it to pay fake "returns" to the investors, to pay down her mortgage and other consumer debt, and to pay for travel and personal living expenses including food and utilities.

As a result, the government says, 11 people lost $510,178.

Wife struck by car during argument

Police arrested a 32-year-old Waimanalo man after he got into a fight with his wife and allegedly hit her with his car.

Police said the couple got into an argument at 6:50 a.m. Wednesday that escalated when the suspect allegedly punched the 20-year-old victim in the back of her head several times. The suspect allegedly also pulled her hair.

When the victim tried to leave to go to her mother's house, the suspect, who was carrying the couple's 3-week-old child, jumped into his car and drove onto the sidewalk to block her path, police said. The woman suffered minor injuries when the suspect's vehicle struck her, police said. The vehicle also hit a parked car.

The suspect fled the scene. When police apprehended him, a glass pipe was found in his car.

The suspect faces charges of second-degree assault, abuse of family member, promoting a dangerous drug, reckless driving and endangering the welfare of a minor.

Truck accident blocks entry to H-3

An overturned flatbed truck closed the H-3 freeway onramp from Moanalua Freeway on Thursday.

The crash happened at about 4:50 p.m., and the onramp was reopened later after the truck was taken away.

Police said a man was taken to the Queen's Medical Center in serious condition.

 Print   Email   Comment | View 0 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

You must be subscribed to participate in discussions