Quantcast

Tuesday, July 29, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 66 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Obama hails APEC success

By Dan Nakaso

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 02:04 a.m. HST, Nov 14, 2011


President Barack Obama on Sunday declared the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit a success that will strengthen the U.S. economy, and he expressed gratitude to his hometown for hosting representatives from the 21 APEC nations.

"I want to begin by thanking the people of Hawaii for their extraordinary hospitality," Obama told reporters at Ko Olina resort following another day — and evening — of traffic disruptions as APEC leaders traveled back and forth from Waikiki to the Leeward Coast.

"Usually when Michelle and I and our daughters come back to visit, it's just one president, and this time we brought 21. So thank you so much for the incredible graciousness of the people of Hawaii — and their patience, because I know that traffic got tied up a little bit."

Despite the beauty of a Honolulu backdrop, APEC leaders and representatives met in business suits for serious talks.

And while APEC took a toll on Oahu drivers, the meetings produced substantial results that will help strengthen relations throughout the Asia-Pacific, increase trade and help create jobs for Americans while promoting "green growth," Obama said.

"The single greatest challenge for the United States right now, and my highest priority as president, is creating jobs and putting Americans back to work," Obama said. "And one of the best ways to do that is to increase our trade and exports with other nations. Ninety-five percent of the world's consumers are beyond our borders. I want them to be buying goods with three words stamped on them: made in America."

Sunday's APEC Leaders' Meeting at JW Marriott Ihilani Resort at Ko Olina marked the end of the six days of high-level meetings among the 21 nations, the largest international gathering the state has ever hosted. Earlier meetings were held at the Hawai‘i Convention Center and in Waikiki hotels and featured Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner. The APEC members discussed a host of regional issues, including free trade and clean energy.

The president, and first lady Michelle Obama, arrived late Friday and hosted a gala luau at the Hale Koa Hotel Saturday night. Over the course of the weekend, the president held several bilateral meetings with heads of state, including Chinese President Hu Jintao and Russian President Dmitry Medvedev.

In his remarks and in response to reporters' questions, Obama touched on a wide variety of topics that included Iran's nuclear ambitions; criticism of the support for waterboarding expressed by some Republican presidential hopefuls; concerns over China; and even the Penn State child sexual assault scandal.

But the bulk of Obama's more than 40 minutes' worth of remarks was focused on APEC and what the meetings could mean for the U.S. economy and for improving relations with more than half of the world's population throughout the Asia-Pacific region.

The meetings produced several positive efforts, Obama said, including:

» A new initiative that will make it easier and faster for people to travel and conduct business across the region, which included legislation Obama signed on Saturday to create a new card that will help American businessmen travel more easily "and get deals done in this region."

» Japan, Canada and Mexico expressing interest in joining the U.S. and eight partners in reaching broad outlines of an agreement on the Trans-Pacific Partnership, a regional free-trade zone.

» Agreement on ways to promote green growth for America's energy security. "We agreed to reduce tariffs on environmental goods and make it easier to export clean-energy technologies that create green jobs," Obama said. "We raised the bar on ourselves, and we'll aim for even higher energy efficiencies. And we're moving ahead with the effort to phase out fossil fuel subsidies. This would be a huge step toward creating clean-energy economies and fighting climate change, which is a threat to both the beauty and the prosperity of the region."

» Increased efforts to ensure that regulations encourage trade and job creation. "Our APEC partners are joining us in streamlining and coordinating regulations so that we're sparking innovation and growth even as we protect public health and our environment," Obama said.

Hosting APEC in Honolulu is important, Obama said, because "no region will do more to shape our long-term economic future than the Asian-Pacific region."

Before taking questions from reporters, Obama once again paused to "thank the people of Hawaii for their extraordinary hospitality and for all that they've done to help make this summit such a success," he said. "I want to thank my fellow leaders for the seriousness and sense of common purpose that they brought to our work. And I believe that the progress we've made here will help create jobs and keep America competitive in a region that is absolutely vital not only for our economy, but also for our national security."






 Print   Email   Comment | View 66 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(66)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
"The single greatest challenge for the United States right now, and my highest priority as president, is creating jobs and putting Americans back to work," Obama said. "And one of the best ways to do that is to increase our trade and exports with other nations. Ninety-five percent of the world's consumers are beyond our borders. I want them to be buying goods with three words stamped on them: made in America."
on November 14,2011 | 12:56AM
Anonymous wrote:
Sorry I forgot to add my part to it. What I was going to say was that the export import ratio was severly slanted towards beyond USA borders. Mr. President you say that 95% of the population is beyond USA? Sure, however the USA consumes quite a lot of products because we are a consumer driven nation, including the biggest deal of all, petroleum, or Crude Oil, which is needed to end up with Gasoline, and those Plastics bottles for our 20 oz Coca-Cola. We get a lot of our products from outside the USA, most notably China and Japan. So to say that the USA will manufacture for the outside world is shall I say "off base". I would go as far as saying that "maybe you have not taken Economics 101", Mr. President.
on November 14,2011 | 01:05AM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Typo: severly to read as severely. This Apple iPhone 4 is much more adept at this type of typing, spellcheck and editing that the Blackberry Storm and Storm2 ever was capable of. Congratulations Apple Inc. For a Job (pun intended) well done. LOL.
on November 14,2011 | 03:59AM
Highinthesierras wrote:
Hey, if Barry won't even push Ahola clothing, why should we believe him on any exports?
on November 14,2011 | 07:32AM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Yeah, the shirts were all ready to roll out, and you know there would be custom made for the 21 Presidents, and if Neil was not going to say LET'S GO, then the real hero needed to say, COME ON BOYS, JUST WIN BABY !!! Of course that was stolen from Al Davis, which is by the way my favorite NFL team. I remember I would go into the hallways with those triangular cardboard football and try to hit an 80 yard field goal to win. I remember reading paperback books in the early 1970s about how Darryl Lamonica was successful as THE MAD BOMBER and his frequent target was WARREN WELLS. I would look at Stats, and I said to myself, THIS IS MY TEAM. LOL. So for Obama to pass the buck and see if Abercrombie would run with it, and then Neil is thinking, well I am only a Governor, Barry will handle this, then we find out NOBODY does anything. OMG. I feel for you Ahola clothing.
on November 14,2011 | 07:45AM
wiliki wrote:
We import more than we export, but we export more than most of the rest of the world. We have a lot of room to improve on that. In maybe ten years when the economy of China exceeds that of the US, we'll probably be exporting more to them than ever before. One of our biggest exports to the rest of the world is weapon systems and aviation. It's in the billions of dollars. We even have auto factories in China manufacturing cars for the Chinese market. Hey if the Japanese can do it, then so can we. And we export a lot of food to the rest of the world-- so much that some countries have set up tariffs to keep our food products out. You shouldn't write off this country so easily.
on November 14,2011 | 04:03AM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
In ten years you say that the United States will export weapons to China. For what? To aim then back at us? LOL
on November 14,2011 | 04:10AM
wiliki wrote:
Did I say we export weapons to China? I really don't know that. However, most of the developing world buys from us.
on November 14,2011 | 02:38PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
YES YOU DID YOU M......
on November 14,2011 | 06:14PM
wiliki wrote:
Did I say we export weapons to China? I really don't know that. However, most of the developing world buys from us.
on November 14,2011 | 02:38PM
Kauikalewa wrote:
Sorry to say we a "selfish" in our independence which makes us dependent on others for resources. In Singapore it costs $75k to have a permit to buy a car. Singapore is all about public transportation. China and other parts of Asia have been bicycle driven but that's changing with the growth of independence. What are we willing to give up for collective independence? Our need to drive everywhere as demonstrated by the complaints this week say it all. Mr. President is making nice-nice to meet the demands and mentality of Economics 101 which is all about us. We are the problem. Stop buying plastic bottle drinks. None of them are better than water and they consume and contaminate water systems with their production. Just ask India. How much did you stay off the roads this week? How well did you plan to stay out of the way of the Wonderland Twins insanity? Mahalo, Mr. President for showing Hawai`i as a serious place to do business. We need serious business because local people aren't going to Waikiki. We're done holding up the industry that has no regard for us.
on November 14,2011 | 04:40AM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
$75 thousand USD dollars? Or was it a typo? LOL
on November 14,2011 | 06:09AM
ManoaHi wrote:
It is true that in Singapore, you need to pay for a permit to buy a car. With that you are still not guaranteed to get the car. The last I checked, about a month ago, with a friend who just bought a car, it cost him Singapore $45K (not USD) to get the permit, yes just the permit. They also have different licences for the their cars. For example, if you are going to only drive on weekends, you get a different coloured licence plate. Qutie a few people drive to Malaysia. There are a lot of restrictions e.g. you have to have 3/4 tank of gas when you leave Singapore, and you are subject to search on return. But I know people who go there quite often. Singapore is not a really good example of public transportation. The bus system is ok, but you still get caught in traffic. As for rail, that is great, but they didn't mind digging up their subway tunnels. Taxi's are cheap and are a good way to get around (I only used taxis the last time I was there). Singapore's water comes from Malaysia. In Honolulu, you can't dig tunnels otherwise you jeopardize our fresh water because it sits in ("in" is not a typo) our island (Ghyben-Herzberg Lens) held in by cap rock. If you dig through that cap rock we'd lose all our water. Bicycles are not always a great option since we have many hills and in the Windward and Mauka areas, it rains quite a bit. I haven't seen anyone ride a bicycle up our hill, it is even difficult to walk up our hill. When I lived in Japan, I used a bicycle quite a bit, since Tokyo was relatively level, even though public transportation is excellent and I still owned a car.
on November 14,2011 | 09:50AM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Calling all MUFI, Calling all MUFI, here is the solution for more revenue. LOL.
on November 14,2011 | 06:15PM
false wrote:
Mahalo. I win.
on November 14,2011 | 07:40PM
Highinthesierras wrote:
More talk, Barry's forte. He should be in Washington working all hours to lower unemployment in the private sector. Public employment, the focus of his "jobs bill," is part of the problem, not a solution.
on November 14,2011 | 06:44AM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Concur. When you go through this forum, you notice that I have commented on everyone's reply. However that would not indicate that it is totally one-sided. If there was a groundswell of support for President Obama, would anyone in their right mind talk about things like this. No, because we are one happy family. Some of us keep the problems, or difficulties, at bay, by focusing on hobbies, or things to do that completely take their minds off what is burdensome. For example, I have this year, since March, taken on the "hobby" of Texas Hold'em Poker. Now success in Poker is surely based on FORTUNE, or LUCK, however if one can stay away from BAD HANDS and then BET BIG on GOOD HANDS, one will find success.
on November 14,2011 | 07:38AM
Ronin006 wrote:
I would like to know how the City & County of Honolulu is going to be reimbursed for the $30 million or more spent to train police and other first responders to prepare for and support APEC? That money came almost entirely from property taxes paid by people who own property on Oahu. Local property owners should not have to pay to support an event that was hosted by the Federal government.
on November 14,2011 | 01:37AM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Write to your congressman. If that fails, elect a new president in 2012.
on November 14,2011 | 03:49AM
allie wrote:
This comment has been deleted.
on November 14,2011 | 09:17AM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
And the Martians threaten me with Death Rays..
on November 14,2011 | 06:16PM
Ronin006 wrote:
Wrtie to my congressman? Are you kidding? Consider this: A congressman (or congresswomen) has two ends, a thinking end and a sitting end. Since their career depends on their seat, why bother writing?
on November 14,2011 | 01:02PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Yeah, how in the heck did Hirono and Hanabusa get in there. We Japanese can think of Hanabusa as HA NA BA TA. Slimy Juice from her nose. You can confirm that I am Japanese, so this is not a racist remark, because I am doing it to one of my own kind.
on November 14,2011 | 06:19PM
wiliki wrote:
The City got some federal monies for that. But like the football game, an argument can be made that APEC more than paid for itself by the spending in town for the conference and for futures benefits to our economy. It shows that we can hold these large conferences here and we'll get more big conferences like this-- hopefully with less security requirements. I think that we should be proud of the fact that we didn't have riots. Most US cities would have had more arrests and damage. It shows that the people of Hawaii have a lot of aloha...
on November 14,2011 | 03:56AM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
How do you know the City got some monies for that? You can only know that if you work for the city. From what I remember Wiliki you were retired.
on November 14,2011 | 04:02AM
wiliki wrote:
It was on one of the Insight programs on Hawaii Public Television. They briefly went over the finances of the conference. We should be glad that we had a Republican governor at the time the City applied for the conference.
on November 14,2011 | 04:10AM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
That was then. How do you what has happened NOW. u know like Hawaii News NOW.
on November 14,2011 | 04:18AM
Ronin006 wrote:
wiliki, you should go on the Tonight Show with your comedy act. Why would Hawaii Public Television be the only source to report federal money for APEC? Why haven't we heard or read about it on major broadcast stations and in the Star-Advertiser OR from the city itself?
on November 14,2011 | 01:12PM
wiliki wrote:
This is good information because it can directly from the govt representatives planning for the conference-- the so-called horses mouth. In your fantasy world, you don't believe that they would appear on TV?
on November 14,2011 | 02:41PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Wiliki O Hawaii was formerly and maybe still is a local newspaper for the Engineering Community of Hawaii. I could go to local ASCE and/or SEAOH meetings to network and get a $77,777.77 paying job however I rather do it my way. That is the American Society of Civil Engineers and the Structural Engineers Association of Hawaii. There is also the SEAOC, the Structural Engineers Association of California. I was really gung ho after I go my MSCE, a Master of Science in Civil Engineering. I remember a good friend of mine from XE, Chi Epsilon, The National Civil Engineering Honor Society, that he went into Geotechnical Engineering. Gee I thought, why would you want that? Nobody knows about you, of course until the structure above gives way. I remember Professor John Evans lecturing to us about the not less than Ideal soil conditions under the now H-1 Viaduct that goes over Nimitz Highway at HIA, The Honolulu International Airport. Wiliki, does that convince you that i have a Registration as a Civil Engineer in The Great State of California, License No. C x x x x x, who number has been redacted by myself to protect me and my family. LOL.
on November 14,2011 | 06:26PM
wiliki wrote:
It's funny, but I guess I'll have to mention that til the end, the leaders refused to take off their business suits. That's probably because of politics. Less they be accused of a boondoggle in Hawaii..... Don't know why the SA didn't pick up on the reason for that. It's one of the reasons that it's so hard (and so easy) to schedule business conferences in Hawaii.
on November 14,2011 | 03:50AM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Refused to take off their business suits? Again u make an assumption. Now, how do YOU know that they REFUSED to TAKE OFF their business suits. Perh
on November 14,2011 | 04:04AM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Perhaps Abercrombie did not ask them to wear Aloha Shirts.
on November 14,2011 | 04:12AM
Kawipoo wrote:
Perhaps they saw the troll in an Aloha shirt and said I don't want to look like this giant hair ball.
on November 14,2011 | 08:57AM
wiliki wrote:
Ask the SA. They've wrote about it...
on November 14,2011 | 02:42PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Ask Wiliki he is talking about it.
on November 14,2011 | 06:29PM
wiliki wrote:
Ask the SA. They've wrote about it...
on November 14,2011 | 02:42PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Hosting APEC in Honolulu is important, Obama said, because "no region will do more to shape our long-term economic future than the Asian-Pacific region." Translation: I want to see my mommy.
on November 14,2011 | 03:52AM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
Victory declared. What a surprise. Next up, Afghanistan for the win.
on November 14,2011 | 04:04AM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Of course the spin doctor spinning his top. I wonder when Barry will get so dizzy that he would spin himself into a pool of quicksand. LOL at myself for a Jay Leno type ad Lib.
on November 14,2011 | 04:16AM
peanutgallery wrote:
We have a fool for a leader. Thanks progressive America.
on November 14,2011 | 04:20AM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Congratulatons !! u just killed two birds with one stone. BHO and NA. See I never guess. I did not know Neil's middle initial so I did not show it.
on November 14,2011 | 04:33AM
islandsun wrote:
Glad its almost over and never want another like it again. What a rip off!
on November 14,2011 | 04:58AM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Someone suggested to have the appetizer at the KMCAS, before Obama swooped in to save the day. Goes to show The Federal Government does ANYTHING and I repeat ANYTHING to spend money unwisely.
on November 14,2011 | 06:16AM
sukebesan wrote:
APEC was a success only for President BHO and his propaganda.
on November 14,2011 | 05:33AM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
APEC = Associated Propagadi of Eh Cuz. APEC=Association of Pretroleum Exporting Countries. APEC=Asia Pacific Economic Colaboration. Which one was created by a local?
on November 14,2011 | 06:06AM
allie wrote:
This comment has been deleted.
on November 14,2011 | 09:15AM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Which is again why it was best to have the pre-summit conference occur at the KMCAS.
on November 14,2011 | 06:30PM
Denominator wrote:
What a waste. Treating these people like kings accomplishes nothing. They accomplished nothing. Talk about the 1% riding on the backs of the rest of us? This is a real example of that!
on November 14,2011 | 09:25AM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Only Kings stop traffic so that people can watch them. If I were of the common folk, I would go amongst them, however with very very tight security. And not necessarily make everybody sit and beg. I know Dallas 1963 and JFK still lurks in our past, however are we not getting a little paranoid? If we really wanted security then use KMCAS as someone suggested.
on November 14,2011 | 07:01PM
kispest wrote:
Apec was sccessful in making residence life miserable for a week.Other tah that, NADA. Thanks Pres., Gov. and Mayor.
on November 14,2011 | 10:11AM
honopic wrote:
Ronin 006's comment about reimbursement got me thinking: since the S*A decided to give free online access away during APEC, will those of us who paid for it get a refund?
on November 14,2011 | 10:14AM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
What HSA needs to do is to reward good posters with a month of free subscription every once in awhile.
on November 14,2011 | 08:33PM
frontman wrote:
Sorry, but Chicago is his home town. Everyone knows it.
on November 14,2011 | 11:03AM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Barry was only found out to have ties to Hawaii when he forgot one of his ties in the restroom at the McDonald's on Kuhio Avenue, the same one where the shooting occurred and killed one of our Local Ohana. Which is why Obama has issued an Executive Order to everyone in The Federal Government: SSSSHHHHH KEEP QUIET >>> LOL.
on November 14,2011 | 06:33PM
CriticalReader wrote:
OK, Hawaii's done its part for the Nation and the World, specifically, as things pertain to the Asia Pacific Region. Can America be "proud" of its hosting effort? I think so. We've endured major hassles, our businesses will ALL show declining sales and productivity as a result of this event, and yet, APEC, got a hassle free, idyllic Hawaii experience, on top of a forum to do business. Now, what do we get? How about a major operational division of a major federal agency being moved to Hawaii? Something behemoth, that needs LOTS of workers - skilled, unskilled and moderately skilled. Maybe the Social Security Admin? Medicare? A division of Treasury? Howabout just more Carrier groups home ported at Pearl? C'mon guys, give us SOMETHING! We suffered and still said, "Aloha". We took one for the good ole' USA. tp otin p. '
on November 14,2011 | 12:41PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
One would think that Hawaii attracted enough attention by getting Congress mad at Japan for bombing the Territory of Hawaii's fleet at Pearl, however now Barry is attempting to get China mad to bomb us AGAIN !!!! Barry cool it, before Mao Tse Tung comes back to life LoL.
on November 14,2011 | 06:40PM
HD36 wrote:
RON PUAL!
on November 14,2011 | 02:01PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Let me help dude: R O N P A U L.
on November 14,2011 | 06:38PM
Anonymous wrote:
Of course it's a success to President Obama and other APEC elitists. They were able to discuss Further World Domination and the Further Annihilation of Indigenous People Including Of Hawaiians. Meanwhile local people were STUCK in traffic. Some for 1 to 2 hours or more. If they were late they could have been fired from their job! All because elitists were in town executing military force against the people of Hawai'i. To make matters worse the Hawaiian Wanna Be, President Obama, REFUSED to wear an aloha shirt which would show gratitude and respect for local people. Instead the Hawaiian Wanna Be, President Obama, wore a blue suit because he IS a Blue Suit which is the present-day symbolism of imperialism and colonization. OBAMA GO HOME! Good riddance!
on November 14,2011 | 04:08PM
LanaUlulani wrote:
Of course it's a success to President Obama and other APEC elitists. They were able to discuss Further World Domination and the Further Annihilation of Indigenous People Including Of Hawaiians. Meanwhile local people were STUCK in traffic. Some for 1 to 2 hours or more. If they were late they could have been fired from their job! All because elitists were in town executing military force against the people of Hawai'i. To make matters worse the Hawaiian Wanna Be, President Obama, REFUSED to wear an aloha shirt which would show gratitude and respect for local people. Instead the Hawaiian Wanna Be, President Obama, wore a blue suit because he IS a Blue Suit which is the present-day symbolism of imperialism and colonization. OBAMA GO HOME! Good riddance!
on November 14,2011 | 04:08PM
BRock wrote:
Too many posters not taking their medications.
on November 14,2011 | 04:27PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
And u r the POSTER CHILD, MISTER PRESIDENT !!
on November 14,2011 | 06:33PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Dave u mentored me well. For those of u who do not know, I have been mentored by David Shapiro to take over his duties at Comic in Relief whenever and wherever he Retires. Ferd and Erika, please put in a good word for me, Reggie.
on November 14,2011 | 06:46PM
Anonymous wrote:
Comment has been sent for approval. Thought so. Whenever a point of view is known to the audience, the HSA needs to do a prepost check. However it may be hypocritical to allow some people to say that Pro-Obama posts are okay. LOL
on November 14,2011 | 09:51PM
Anonymous wrote:
Well why did the current one be allowed to pass? Who knows LOL? Did I just talk stink about someone. I know I am about to become a person that is not allowed to have a point of view, which is Communistic LOL. I think the staff at HSA needs to take their psychiatric medication !!! LOL. You watch this one will either not show or will be shown as ANONYMOUS. No, as Anonymous, because we are not allowed to SHOUT, only the HSA is allowed to SHOUT, or at least one has to pay before they are allowed to SHOUT.
on November 14,2011 | 09:55PM
Anonymous wrote:
Was shown as accepted however usually that means that I am now Anonymous. I am not famous . I been spayed.
on November 14,2011 | 09:56PM
Anonymous wrote:
Good night this is the absolute last post of my entire life with HSA and I change my mind in that I will not get involved with Lingle. G O O D B Y E
on November 14,2011 | 09:58PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Latest News/Updates