POSTED: 04:56 p.m. HST, Oct 28, 2010
A young girl and her great-grandfather got out without injury today after a house fire in Waipouli on Kauai.
The man made several unsuccessful attempts to put out the fire, which started in a bedroom of the three-bedroom home on Panihi Road about 9:50 a.m., said Kauai County spokeswoman Mary Daubert.
Firefighters extinguished the blaze at 10:30 a.m.
The home sustained substantial damage to the bedroom and extensive smoke and heat damage throughout, Daubert said. Officials estimated damage at $150,000.
The girl and her great-grandfather escaped without injuries and were taken to Wilcox Hospital for observation.