POSTED: 08:41 a.m. HST, Dec 21, 2010
A mechanical malfunction that caused a fuel leak in a car is blamed for a fire that spread from the vehicle to a carport and home in Palolo last night, causing $150,000 in damages.
Fire Capt. Terry Seelig said the car owner had just parked his car at the home at 1930B 9th Ave. at about 9:25 p.m. when another resident noticed smoke coming from the vehicle.
The driver tried to extinguish the fire with a garden hose but it spread to the back of the carport and was fully involved when firefighters arrived.
The fire heavily damaged a bedroom above the carport and damaged other parts of the home, Seelig said. It was extinguished at about 10:40 p.m.
No injuries were reported.