POSTED: 08:45 p.m. HST, Dec 29, 2010
LAST UPDATED: 06:01 a.m. HST, Dec 30, 2010
A fire that started inside a 40-foot shipping container at the Sears Distribution Center in Pearl City was contained mostly to the container itself.
About $50,000 in appliances, tools and other merchandise inside the container were lost, in yesterday morning's fire, said Capt. Terry Seelig of the Honolulu Fire Department.
The container was on the apron of the loading dock, and the noontime fire also caused about $5,000 damage to the dock's overhang, Seelig said.
Sprinklers helped contain the fire until firefighters arrived to put it out. Seelig said it's fortunate the warehouse itself did not catch fire, noting that it houses a substantial inventory of goods.
The fire was caused by sparks originating from welding work that ignited debris and dust within the container, Seelig said.