Friday, November 27, 2015         

 Print   Email   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Firefighters respond to chemical reaction at business near Lagoon Drive

By Star-Advertiser Staff


Honolulu firefighters responded to a hazardous material alarm today during a company preparation for an Environmental Protection Agency demonstration on Monday.

The reaction occurred about 11:45 a.m. at Unitek Insulation when a compound was mixed with ethylene glycol, a liquid usually found in antifreeze, that overheated, setting off the sprinklers, said Honolulu fire Capt. Earle Kealoha.

Firefighters responded the business at 2676 Waiwai Loop, near Lagoon Drive, and found the product was contained to a 55-gallon drum. A fire hazmat team covered the barrel to prevent any spills and monitored the product, which didn't present a hazard, Kealoha said.

Kealoha said Unitek is one of the companies that the Fire Department calls to contain hazardous chemicals.

More From The Star-Advertiser

Police and Fire

 Print   Email   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet