Quantcast
  

Thursday, April 17, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 0 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Malfunctioning dishwasher blamed for Waikiki fire

By Star-Advertiser Staff

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 05:47 p.m. HST, May 20, 2011

Honolulu firefighters rolled up their hoses yesterday after extinguishing a fire on the fifth floor of the Waikiki Skytower, right, at 2410 Cleghorn St. The fire, which was reported at 12:31 p.m., was extinguished at 1:02 p.m.

A malfunctioning dishwasher started a fire at a Waikiki apartment building on Cleghorn Street yesterday, a Honolulu Fire Department spokesman said today.

The fire in Unit 501 of the Waikiki Skytower apartments caused $100,000 damage to the apartment and its contents.

Fire Capt. Earle Kealoha said investigators determined that the fire started when the dishwasher in the apartment malfunctioned. A resident of that apartment had originally suspected that the fire might have been caused by a pizza left in a toaster oven.

Kealoha said the department's Fire Prevention Bureau is also looking into complaints that the building's fire alarm did not go off until 20 minutes after the fire was reported.

Firefighters were called at 12:31 p.m. and the first company arrived at the scene at 12:35 p.m., Kealoha said. The fire was under control at 12:51 p.m. and was declared extinguished at 1:02 p.m.

Firefighters had to break into the apartment and contained the fire to the kitchen. The Red Cross was called to help the two people who live in the apartment.

Resident manager Bernice Shea said the building's water was turned off yesterday because of routine maintenance, but that did not affect firefighters, who used outside water sources. She said the 30-story building does not have sprinklers.

Shea said an alarm company inspected the alarm system this morning and found it working properly. The building's smoke detectors are in the common areas, but smoke from the fire wafted out an open lanai door, she said. The building alarm went off when firefighters broke down the unit's door and smoke went into the elevator landing. Had someone used one of the alarm boxes, the alarm would have gone off earlier. Shea said there haven't been frequent false alarms as a resident said yesterday.






More From The Star-Advertiser

Police and Fire




 Print   Email   Comment | View 0 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(0)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News