Quantcast

Friday, August 22, 2014         

 Print   Email   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Fire that injured firefighter started by downed power line

By Star-Advertiser staff

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 01:41 a.m. HST, Jun 18, 2011


A June 3 fire at a Haleiwa home that injured a firefighter was started when a 7,000-volt electrical power line fell, touched a garage flood lamp and charged portions of the garage with electricity, Honolulu Fire Department investigators said Thursday.

"It instantly energized that wire and caused it to probably arc and ignite the wooden components of the siding and the framing so the fire started in the back corner of the garage from this energized electrical line which was energized from the outside in, rather than the inside out," said Capt. Terry Seelig, Fire Department spokesman.

Firefighter Kamaki Worthington, a 10-year veteran, was hospitalized after he was shocked while battling the blaze. Seelig said it's not entirely clear how he got shocked. Worthington has been cleared to returned to work, Seelig said.

The home, located near Laniakea Beach, sustained about $210,000 in damage to its structure and contents.






 Print   Email   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News