POSTED: 07:50 p.m. HST, Jul 19, 2011
LAST UPDATED: 04:47 a.m. HST, Jul 20, 2011
A fire that burned seven acres of brush near the Hawaii Kai Golf Course on Monday was caused by sparks or embers from a malfunctioning electrical utility pole, fire Capt. Terry Seelig said.
Seelig said high winds caused the fire to spread near residences at Waikapu Loop and Mokuhano Street.
Firefighters contained the fire about an hour after it was reported at 2:28 p.m., with no damage to property, although several homes were evacuated temporarily.