Wednesday, November 25, 2015         

 Print   Email   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Cooking fires start house blazes in Waipahu, Punchbowl

By Gregg K. Kakesako


Fire investigators have determined that cooking fires were the causes of two blazes that damaged two homes in Waipahu and Punchbowl Tuesday night.

Capt. Terry Seelig, Honolulu Fire Department spokesman, said overheated oil started the fire on Pilimai Street in Waipahu at 5:51 p.m. Five people were displaced by the fire. Damage was estimated at $410,000.

Tuesday's second fire at a three-story home in the Kalawahine subdivision on Kapahu Street was attributed to a pot that was left unattended while heating on a stove, Seelig added.

The home is owned by former HFD spokesman retired Capt. Richard Soo who was not home at the time. His two sons and other person live in the house that suffered $350,000 worth of damage.

 Print   Email   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Latest News/Updates