POSTED: 10:27 a.m. HST, Aug 8, 2011
A 18-year-old McCully man pleaded not guilty today to charges that he stabbed and robbed a Japanese tourist who was lost in Palolo Valley last month.
Kesly Lewis entered his plea before Circuit Judge Richard Perkins and will go to trial the week of Oct. 10.
Lewis faces two counts of first-degree robbery because there were two victims in the incident, police said. The second victim was the car's driver.
Circuit Judge Michael Wilson will preside over the trial.
Lewis was indicted July 20 by an Oahu grand jury for the attempted robbery. He allegedly stabbed a 23-year-old Japanese tourist in the shoulder. The victim was riding in one of three rental cars. The group of Japanese tourists were trying to drive to Tantalus Lookout at about midnight July 8, police said, but found themselves in Palolo.
Near the Rainbow Market on Palolo Avenue the tourists decided to make a U-turn, police said. The victim was sleeping in one of the three cars when two men approached the convertible and demanded money. The tourist raised his arm to defend himself and was stabbed in the right shoulder, police said.
Lewis is being held in lieu of $125,000 bail at Oahu Community Correctional Center.